1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What aspects of composition do you find most challenging?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't think the questions make a lot of sense as they are. I could only tell you what I intend to do when I'm looking at a scene I want to record.

P_Stoddart and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

What an odd question. Every scene has its own set of challenges. Light, foreground etc. They differ from scene to scene, day to day.

Roger Hicks and Zou like this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What they said. ^^^

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

what the heck did they do to the poll page? I'm not waiting any more for it to load.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. secretpost

secretpost Member

I prefer the old poll design, as it takes awhile for the questions and options to pop-up. I would have to agree with @Craig20264 every subject has its own level of difficulty.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Ah. Composition. I think that it's important to know how to use intersecting thirds, leading lines and foreground interest when the image calls for it - but then again, it's just as useful (and far more difficult) to learn when to ignore the 'rules' and do your own thing!

I'm hoping to get the measure of it one of these days.

Cheers, Jeff

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

AP seems to have flogged the rights to the poll...
    We now get even more absurd questions.
    Liam seems to be the fall guy.
    Composition is a process not a set of rules that must be obeyed.
    In normal circumstance we only have the option of adjusting the viewpoint and the included field of view, as to make the most of the subject.
    And that becomes a natural process for most photographers. when it looks right it probably is the best you can do.
    It is neither difficult nor easy... it is a matter of seeing.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Careful, it seems that if you criticise AP or use a term they don't like your post will get deleted like my last one - and this one too probably...;)

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

And with my normal calm mood returned I have to add that I really, really, REALLY wish I could honestly answer yes to option 5....:D

Truth is that, like many I suspect, that all the other options apply at one time or another - and not always one at a time...:rolleyes::confused:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I honestly thought it was a spoof post to begin with!

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

My approach is quite simple:

If you can't see a composition immediately, without consciously applying the "rules", then try applying the "rules".

Then bend them as necessary.

If you still can't get a picture, give up. Or shoot anyway, and see how it looks later. If it works, great. If not, well, you've still learned something.

There is no shame in admitting that you just can't see how to get a good picture out of what's in front of you.

Cheers,

R.

AlanW and Catriona like this.
  13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I genuinely though that the link had been got at, said so, and received a snotty slap on the wrist for an honest mistake...:(:mad:

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You were not alone! I even reported it!
    Guess I'm now labelled a Luddite. :(

El_Sid likes this.
  15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Weird question and weird web page. :confused:

P_Stoddart and Roger Hicks like this.
  16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well today it did eventually load but I seem to be faced with union jacks advertising an "eneral election 20" - in Ilford north and south as well as somewhere else - I forgot already where

Catriona likes this.
  17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Agree with you there, Andrew. Two more options were needed really: setting out to do the photography, dealing with weather conditions and dealing with lighting conditions. That's three. Doh! Three more voting options were required. Cheers, Oly

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Ned Ludd rules! :D

Catriona likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Shurely that should be Nedwina (in the interests of equality)? :cool:

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If it looks wrong then it is wrong. If it looks right then it might be right. Everybody has their own opinion of right and wrong composition.