1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - The Photography Show takes place at the Birmingham NEC from 18-21 March. Which aspects of it

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So you didn't know Salgado was going?

2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Hadn't a clue :(

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Didn't he used to play for Blackburn?

Cheers, Jeff

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Amusingly (to me, anyway) I was sitting in front of two south-easterners (from their accents) on the bus fromt the car park to the halls.
    "Couldn't hold this show in London", said one, "You would only get Londoners, Nowhere has car parking like this except maybe Docklands, and that's hell to get to".
    "Quicker for us to come here" replied his friend. So clearly not all south easterners are that parochial.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Well, the South East covers a rather large area and it is quite possible that their places of residence are not well served by trains/underground making access to central London as much of a pain as for them as is getting to the NEC for me.

In my case it isn't about being parochial but about convenience and the fact that I have rarely spent more than a few hours at any exhibition (except the Paris air show but that was work), which is the real reason for not going. The admission isn't (wasn't as the show has finished) unreasonable but the travelling, if I were to spend only a couple of hours at the show, makes it unrealistic. This also means that I only ever go to these shows if they are 1, in London and 2, Free admission. Any other arrangement isn't practical, that or I am just awkward!

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Rail costs are a peculiarity of the UK!
    I drive about 3 miles to a neraby station and park for £3.50 on a Saturday.
    If I were to have bought a return ticket with railcard from start to end (BAW to BHI return) it would have been £60.70
    I bought a return with railcard from BAW to BAN, then when I changed trains in Reading I bought a return from BAN to BHI; £10.85 + £16.60 yet the railway operators still maintain that they are selling you the cheapest ticket. Clearly they lie !

BAW to many stations in the Midlands is incredibly good value these days; Oxford is only £8.50 return on a Saturday or Sunday. What's baffling to me is why, if the return journey (to almost anywhere in the UK) is on a different day to the outward journey, the ticket price basically doubles. One year I really would like to stop over near the NEC and attend the show on at least 2 days but the rail fare system means it's unlikely I would be able to afford to do so

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Railway pricing is the blackest of magic, performed by men in black cloaks with silver stars upon them and women in strange pointed hats around bubbling cauldrons. At least that might explain some of it! ;)

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I started using the trains again last year for the first time in over forty years. Just for return trips to London travelling across some days and using off-peak return bought online. I couldn't find a day return (like the old cheap day return option of my teens) to go to the photography show so bought an off-peak return, return within a month. I also printed out from the rail-times site the times of all the trains back. They were all marked peak. I assumed that my off-peak ticket would be valid as I had picked train times from the website when I bought it - it proved so. But I am really confused as to whether there is such a thing as a day return (cheaper than an off-peak return) and whether all you can buy on the day are fully flexible tickets valid on peak trains. Plus if all trains are marked peak on the website how the hell do you know which aren't?

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

And what about the railway Hotels. Leeds had the Queens (at City station) and Great Northern; they exist but seem know't to do with the railway.
    Why can't I book a return ticket from Nottingham to London with a couple of dinner bed and breakfasts all with no fuss and at modest cost. (Modest cost being first class travel with a couple of nights b and b thrown in).