1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - The Photography Show takes place at the Birmingham NEC from 18-21 March. Which aspects of it

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Vote on this week's poll - The Photography Show takes place at the Birmingham NEC from 18-21 March. Which aspects of it are you most looking forward to?

[​IMG]

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I live just outside London. To get to Birmingham requires either taking a train into London and then another to Birmingham or I could drive to Watford Junction, pay to park, and take a train. Alternatively I could drive, two hours on the M40 and still have to pay to park. None of these alternatives is exactly convenient.

I might be more inclined to go to the show were it at Olympia or Earls Court.

Yes, I know all about the UK being Londoncentric

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Probably the Subway Chicken & Bacon Ranch at Birmingham International railway station.

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Now now you south of Watforders its only a show!.......

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Why would you go to Birmingham? The NEC is in Solihull. ;)

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thank you Nick, the difference is both significant and insignificant. Significant because I have misdirected anyone who reads my post and insulted the people of Solihull and insignificant because it makes not the slightest difference to the inconvenience, for me, of the location

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, but it makes a very significant difference to me. The NEC is 20 minutes by car, or 7 minutes to a station with free parking and then a similar journey time. Brum is significantly further in time, if not so much in distance, and significantly harder to park in.

Olympia is one of the hardest places to get to - pretty much impossible by car and almost never served by tube during the week. Thank goodness this show is somewhere sensible rather than bloody London.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Which simply and effectively shows the problems faced by event organisers when it comes to location. A significant minority of the population live in the South East and London (Around 25%) but that leaves the other 75% elsewhere. I wonder what percentage of the total population would consider the NEC convenient as opposed to a London venue?

There is also a reluctance on the part of many SE residents to travel very far, other than possibly to London, because all the transport links are directed towards the capital. As I said, I won't be going simply because it would take around four hours travelling time. Such shows need to be staged in different locations rather than settling on a "Home" so that different areas can conveniently access them.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was surprised at the train options - I can go direct via a scenic route which takes ages or a one change option with some hanging about or by far the fastest using 2 changes which would easily beat driving. I haven't made my mind up yet. My memory of NEC is one very big and very expensive car park. I have no recollection of what I went there to see.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The Barbican in London is a great venue. Easy to get to on public transport but needing a 500/600 metre (approx) walk for the last part of the journey. Gallery in the same location plus others a couple of miles away if wanting to see more output stuff.

Photography at Work (a predecessor, in part, of FOCUS and TPS) used it, as well as Wembley.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well.... The NEC - the National Exhibition Centre, remember - is located on the West Coast Main Line, right next to Birmingham Airport (and I have flown to the old Focus exhibition twice, and away from it once), and just off the M42 and M6. As such, transport links could hardly be better, and beat Olympia or Earl's Court into a cocked hat - I went to a show at Olympia in January which reminded me what a dreadful location it really is, and hell to get to for a day trip. The NEC is within a few miles both of the geographical centre of England, and the population centre of Britain. As such, it makes no logistical sense to hold any national exhibition anywhere else. I struggle to believe that it would take you 4 hours to drive there and back, but that option would not even be there for me to go to a London show, and 4 hours would be a reasonable assessment of how long it takes me to get to Olympia and back by public transport - and I'm fairly sure you couldn't beat my 40 minutes return journey if you were going to Olympia. If south easterners really aren't prepared to go to the NEC, why on earth should anyone be prepared to make the often much more onerous journey to London for a show for the day? ;)

Learning likes this.
  12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I doubt any venue would be convenient for me, other than the BIC at Bournemouth. This may come as a shock to most people in the home counties or the Midlands, but the British Isles do extend beyond the M4 and M3.

PeatSmoke and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  13. PJH8RN

PJH8RN New Member

I am travelling down from Glasgow and am very content with the location of the show. The closest, similar, show is "Digital Splash" in Liverpool later in the year, other than that, we like many other areas of the UK are poorly served, location wise, by this type of show. It has been said elsewhere in this forum, it is a National exhibition i.e for the whole of the UK.

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

About 3 miles to local-ish train station for me, then approx 25 minutes to Reading, 20 minute wait for cross-country train that then runs direct to the NEC. Total train journey time just over 2 hours plus allow half an hour to get from home to station, park car and catch first train.

What really p's me off is that for the journey home, despite multiple events being held at the same time at the NEC, no extra trains are put on, and no extra carriages are addded to the standard trains. I therefore end up standing squashed like a sardine for most of the journey back to Reading. At least by "splitting my ticket" I pay about half the cost of the normal direct return fare !

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yes but where do you think these extra trains and carriages are going to materialise from? Apart from trains which are out of service due to either scheduled or unplanned maintenance, all available stock will already be in service. Rail companies aren't going to have spare stock sitting doing nothing.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Of course not. Keeping extra stock for emergencies and abnormal demand would be too much like doing the job properly. :mad:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Why not? Airlines have stand-by aircraft and they are far more expensive than trains.

Roger Hicks and PeteRob like this.
  18. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

To be honest, if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known such a thing (The Photography Show) existed!

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You must be short of photography related junk mail then. I have had at least 5 companies telling me about it. I decided to go tomorrow, by train. I hope all the foregoing tales of railway woe are pessimistic.

20. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

It rare for me to get any junk/spam emails these days, the only photography related ones I get are from sites I've subscribed to and none are equipment related!