1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL - The new AP

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Elementary, my dear Watson......

I like the new look, there is a tinge of sadness that the relly old AP is no more, it had a kind of 'old wood' flavour, but the new new one in really readable. Great stuff.

How will the postman get my free tripod through the letter box? :D

The CAPS shift key on my keyboard has gone tempremental, any chance of a freebie next week? :D :D :D

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Seems to be settling down well enough.

In a few weeks we will have forgotten the old style, just as
    we have forgotten all the previous style changes.

It seem editors are permitted one change during their watch, and may be a few adjustments down the line.

but apart from that photographers tend to be conservative bunch.

I am not convinced editors should get involved with regular submissions, except for editorials. It is hard to judge when your own work needs a change, and who is going to tell the boss.

If Garry is not coming back I would prefer that section to be guested.

3. Straightarm

Straightarm Well-Known Member

Great that you started the new look AP with an Ansel Adams feature, but very disappointing that you continue to use Roger Hicks. He realy should be pensioned off.

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Hmmm....

One man's meat etc., I guess - it's the first thing I read! :rolleyes:

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Agreed. It's the other bloke who could be pensioned off; Gabriel Whateverhisnameis. ;)

If I want amateur psychoanalysis of myself as a tog, I can drink a quarter of whiskey. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

NOT in what is left of my lifetime I hope. Moving him to once every other week was bad enough. This would be committing murder!

7. hodgo

hodgo Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more & that Gabriel Whateverhisnameis as quoted above, I see little point in either as neither give me any knowledge into advancing my photograhpy techniques. Garry Mac should also be brought back pronto too.

Graham

8. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Not worried either way what it looks like as most of the previous articles technical advice is there but updated. Would it be possible though to put the Advertisers index in the very back of the journal where it used to be. With it being 'somewhere' in the middle it is not always easy to go if you need to check on a dealer quickly

9. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

AP has never (well, not in the time of my acquaintance, which is since about 1974 or so) been simply a 'how to' magazine, and TBH I'd stop reading if it were ever to become that. Its strong point has always been that it covers photography right across the spectrum: equipment, technique, subject matter, style - everything really, right through to the philosophy of photography, which seems to be where the last page fits in these days.

And that's the beauty of it, as far as I'm concerned. If photography were about nothing but technique and equipment it would be a sad and frankly stale pastime indeed. And I've always thought that AP does a better job than most of providing the necessary food for all of a photographer's creative appetites.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

There, fixed your typo for you. :D

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

And I couldn't disagree less

Roger Hicks beside being a fine and knowledgeable photographer. Has an insight in to life and photography that supports ... deeper thought, questioning of received, wisdom, and the debunking of stupid ideas and practices.

Of course this will upset a few who are not willing to think for themselves or cling relentlessly to outdated ways; and equally those who are a slave to fashion.

We all need someone to show us reality from time to time,
    Roger does this in spades.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Roger Hicks at his best with something to say is well worth his page. Roger Hicks struggling to meet a deadline with a writers block is recognisable as such. Look at his ratio of hits and misses, and adjust the frequency of his contributions accordingly.
    As to what constitutes a hit or a miss cannot be argued about. That decision is part of the editor's job and no-one else's. An editor is a bit like an umpire... well you know where I'm going with that one.
    The owner knows when the editor is keeping the readership happy. For what its worth I am happy to continue as a subscriber.

13. TimF

Thanks! I'm not that bad................. yet. ;) :D

14. TimF

Yes, I'd agree with that. It can't be easy to come up with something new fifty-two weeks a year. When Roger's on form though, there's none better IMHO. He's a top man.

15. SqueamishOssifrage

^ ^ ^
    W H S

16. Photocracy

Photocracy Well-Known Member

I'd also agree with that. Roger at his best is worth reading, but the agonising clunkety clunk of a forced piece of work is too often evident IMVHO. I just get the impression he's written too much about everything and is struggling to think of something new a little too often.

17. TimF

Fortunately for us "Hicksians", AP isn't the only place to find him. He also contributes to the Rangefinder Forum (and has been on such as photo.net in the past - don't know if he still goes there). Plus there's his own website, and it's off-shoot on the subject of travel; very often by bike.

18. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

In much the same way that you are clinging relentlessly to the church of Hicks????

I find his articles tiresome and clunky especially recently. The new back page contributors are something different and fresh. I'd far rather (and do) read them and I also have the ability to a) think for myself and b)not be a slave to fashion. Far from it.

19. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I'm really enjoying the new look AP. I like the balance between photographs, photographers, kit and technique. I'm back to reading each issue from cover to cover. Well done. :D