1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL - The new AP

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Is Elements not a guise of Photoshop?

2. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Yes. Photoshop Lite, if you will.

I was merely countering the charge that 'Photoshop is vastly over priced' with regard to being able to follow the tutorials. :eek:

3. barney britton

barney britton Well-Known Member

That'll learn you for trying to be cleva :rolleyes:

4. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Innit. Nigh on a decade on IPC sites, I really should know better. :eek: :rolleyes:

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Anyway, I'm disgusted at the terrible journalistic standards of the new AP, and might never buy another copy. The article about actions totally failed to mention that they work in PS CS4 - how shoddy can you get. ;)

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

You're kidding me!

They left such an important comment out of the review.

I haven't read it myself, but I think we ought to email the editor to complain.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As soon as I've finished my letter to the Daily Mail about it, I will. ;)

8. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Sach them all!! :D And no, that's not a typo! ;)

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Poll-The New AP - **WTF*** my poll was whether I .....

....shoot more carefully no that i am digital ?? :D ?? and, no, I don't :rolleyes:

As for a new AP magasine, I suspect I will have to wait until the new year before one
    of the "New AP Magasines" arrives in a bookstore near me :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

10. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Re: Poll-The New AP - **WTF*** my poll was whether I .....

With that level of erudition Jack you should be offered your own column :D

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Never mind that, do actions work at ISO 800 and higher?

Graeme

12. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

I'm 2 weeks behind (again) due to being away but I've had a quick skim through and it looks promising. More detailed impressions to follow - watch this space!:D

Tried to watch the DVD on my laptop but it stopped about half way through :( (just as it was getting interesting!) Will try again on a proper DVD player to see if it makes any difference.

13. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

I bought a copy and lost it before I even had chance to read it! What a bummer :mad:

14. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

You don't happen to work for the government do you? ;) ;) ;)

15. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

:D Actually, local government/authority :D Somehow I don't expect it to be handed in and for the national newspapers to be interested!

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Why thank you Peter :) and I have to agree as I have always been known as quite a good
    eruditator and eruditation skills have always top-class but, sadly, my spellin and grammer
    ain't never been much to write home about .... doncha know :(

Thanks again and Hi to Sandra :)

Jack

17. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Ok, catching up now and it definitely gets the thumbs up from me :) Love the new emphasis on technique and use and haven't found anything I particularly dislike except perhaps there appears to be no change to the back page :( so as someone said above, once you reach the adverts you know you've finished.

Sorted the DVD issue, it works perfectly in a DVD player :)

18. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Move over Hicksy :rolleyes:

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, I think I'm ready for a more considered opinion now.

What do I miss? Garry's opinion - not the critique, Damien does that just as well IMHO, but Garry's view on photography in general.

Er, that's about it.

What's better? The classic camera article - much better than the stripped-down previous incarnation.
    The general look of the mag - no design for its own sake.

What was I worried about? That the increased focus on technique might be dumbing down by the back door. Clearly it's not.

What do I still have some reservations over? The camera tests. I approve of the new scoring scheme, but I do think that the strength of AP's tests has been their real-world focus, and I don't want them to lose that.

All in all, though, I do think it's an improvement on the previous incarnation of the mag - which I was perfectly happy with already.

20. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I'd generally go along with Nick's comments, except I'll add that the whole of the Icons of Photography series is looking brilliant! :) There are a few other subtle minor improvemets to the layout etc. that I like too.