1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL - The new AP

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Even though I've had my copy since Saturday I still haven't read it all. First impressions are very good. I like the layout and content seems the usual high standard. Although I got the podium thing I can see why it's gone. Nice to see proper capitalisation back after all that lower case stuff of the earlier style. I'm intersted to see how things develop over the next few weeks as and when articles/features come and go.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Not a massive change ... more a clean and tidy up...
    we have seen and survived far bigger changes in the past.

Change is inevitable or things die of constipation. :D

3. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

Like it, it works for me :cool:

4. hodgo

hodgo Well-Known Member

I Like the the new features and the fact that there's more info on using a camera, related software & gadgets etc, rather than concentrating mainly on tests, I do prefer the old layout the new mag looks a bit like the Times Newspaper layout and finally Bring Back Garry Mac his tips were great, if you have to get rid of a feature get rid of the Roger Hicks page at the back, I'd rather have Garry's tips than a page of someone's opinion which is of no help to anyone. I also agree on the Podium being missing and that should be brought back.

Overall the changes are good I'd give it 8/10, bring back Garry Mac & the podium & make the layout slightly less like a broadsheet newspaper & it'll be full marks.

Graham

5. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I may be losing my marbles as I was convinced I left my feedback on this thread, but anyway, it's super dooper, well done to the team, I love it, design wise, layout,everything really,...but I guess I would love AP anyway even if it was in illuminated manuscripts.... :D... NO! don't do it!... :D

6. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Really like the new change in the AP, however, I just wondering as whether the scoring is a new one and if so how do it fares against the old system?

Just wondering...

7. Angela_Nicholson

Angela_Nicholson Well-Known Member

We do have a new scoring regime. One of our aims with it is to break the scoring down to make it clearer where a camera’s marks have been won – by the AF system or its ability to record detail etc.

As before, we score cameras by level because we have different expectations from novice and professional level cameras, especially from their control layouts. However, we now highlight the level of the camera.

Our new system has resulted in scores being generally lower. The Nikon D90, for example got 80%, which seems a little low in comparison to cameras tested under the old regime. If you were sitting an exam, though, most people would be pretty happy with 80%. We want a little more headroom to make it clear when a camera excels. Just in case of any confusion, we plan to indicate whether a score is good or not in the future.

Angela

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Might be worth having a wash up sort of article which helps people understand the change in approach and assists with their attempts to weigh up the diferences?

Re the tests, I have noticed that there is a (natural?) tendancy to spend more time looking at the extremes of the performance range rather than the mainstream areas of performance. It would be useful if there could some separation in the conclusions between the differing aspects in performance.

Graeme

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Yes, that could be useful if some recent cameras tested had their "old" results translated to the new, so readers could be assisted into rather than thrown by the changes

10. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

On the whole very good BUT,I also miss Gary`s Critical Eye.It was one thing I looked forward to.Damien`s version just not the same.Sorry :eek:
    Cheers Dave

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Must say I do approve of the refurb except for the 4 column layout bits which I feel are not "busy" but "cluttered".

Agree in principle but the technical changes make "conversion" from old system to new pointless.

Just one issue with the D90 test - the text says "the difference between them (raw files) and the JPEGs is not huge". Well, in my copy the difference is incredible - I simply can't believe how blurred the JPEGs are, I'd expect unprocessed RAW images to be a lot softer than JPEGs which will have been processed through sharpening in the camera. So, what processing was done on the raw files after downloading them from the camera to prepare the smaples for publication?

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Well I finally got rounds to reading my new style AP and on the whole I have to say it looks pretty good. Doubtless it'll take time to really settle down and iron out any unexpected kinks but I must say it bodes well overall.

I will say that I do miss the cornier article titles though... but that probably because I like corny humour...... :D

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Well having opened the debate a week ago I have finally laid hands on my copy and I am impressed. The new scoring system is clearer and more comprehensive and the general layout cleaner.

One comment on the free gifts, I like the idea of the DVD but as I don't use Photoshop, in any of its may guises, it is a bit academic. How about a poll to see what proportion of readers use Photoshop and what proportion use another program?

14. Terrywoodenpic

I have very little interest in free gifts and have not been tempted to look at the dvd yet.

Photoshop is vastly over priced ... however it is the best available.
    The only real competitor is the free Gimp... but I find that harder to use... as I have used photoshop since the very first available version, and know its ways.

15. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

In fairness, the tutorials use Elements.

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

which is a fine tool and free with many peripherals. I got Elements 2 with my scanner and have just upgraded to Elements 5 when I got my Wacom Graphics tablet.

17. Terrywoodenpic

As I use CS3 I am not that interested in Elements either... though I know it contains many related parts of PS.

18. TheFatControlleR

Fair enough. I'll STFU then. :rolleyes:

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I'll believe that when I see it! [​IMG]

20. TheFatControlleR

Seems you know me only too well... [​IMG]