1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL - The new AP

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

So the new style AP should be landing on doormats all over the country this Saturday, and will be in the shops from Tuesday 21 October. We've added more practical information (doubled it, in fact), made the single camera tests more scientific and repeatable, and added lots of new and exciting features.

When you've had a good look, and taken it all in, let us know what you think.

If you head to the home page you can take part in the poll for What are your first impressions of the new AP?

Thanks, I appreciate your comments and feedback

damien

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Here I am, first to comment and I have nothing to say because I am in Virginia and my copy of AP is in Bucks! I won't even be able to vote because I won't see my copy until after the poll closes. However, as we are being asked for comment on the first day the new look is delivered, I am confident that DD will take note of what is said.

So get on with it, tell him what you think.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Postie hasn't arrived yet.

During the week it's about 2pm... On a Saturday it can be 4pm :(

4. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Well, I like it (but I would say that being an AP fanbwoy!). Personally, I much prefer the new running order, it's pretty much how I used to read the old mag, only now I don't have to bounce back and forth. :cool:

5. MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky Well-Known Member

Ah, it was terrible.
    Well, it wasn't that good.
    It was very bad.
    Well, it was average.
    It was in the middle there.
    It wasn't that great.
    I kind of liked it.
    I loved it!
    Brilliant!
    MORE!

:)

6. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Much better - you can read all the articles, and then ignore the adverts if you choose to do so.

The news layout is clearer too

7. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

First impression?

I like it.

I've only had time to skim through it, rather than read it in detail. Some new names, Damien doing some work, :) it looks as if its going to be worth reading.

I'll update my opinion when I've had time to give it the attention it deserves.

8. jennief

jennief Well-Known Member

I much prefer it so far. There seems to be more "meat" in it and I appreciated the DVD. Its good to have the adverts together at the end. :D

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Reminiscent of IPC's business titles and all the better for that.

10. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I'll be awaiting with much interest, come probably friday this week (sob!!) ;)

11. dil

dil Active Member

Looks good and fresh but two questions.
    (i) The Chris Gatcum article - i thought he'd left or is he freelance?
    (ii) Has Gary Mac left as it would appear DD is covering similar ground (although not in same way I agree)

Also, any chance that the readers' gallery mugs will continue? I'd be as proud as if i had one on my desk if only i felt my photos were good enough.

Generally I'd much rather read about technique than the latest pixel race or live view technology.

Cheers

12. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Couldn't have put it better. Obviously, reviews of new items are important, but at times they had seemed on the verge of taking over the mag. Hopefully a good balance will be established, and with the talented team at AP towers I have no doubt it will be so.

13. steve02

steve02 Active Member

I like the extra practical information and the more repeatable camera tests. Scrapping the podium and the info about if older cameras were tested now they'd receive a lower score etc was a good idea. I'm sad to see Garry's critical eye disappear. I also feel some of the pages in the new style AP are quite busy and hard to follow but it might be because I'm so used to the old format. I also second the mug comment above, worth more than money any day!

14. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

I've read it, and the good news is I still like it.

It was sensible to drop the podium in the camera review, nice idea but it just didn't work.

The style reviews and new sections look as if they will be very good.

I suppose something had to go, but I don't like the Q&A rather than ap answers, not because of the content, just because its much too short, it might be on 2 pages, but with the width of the section header banner on the left, and the 'next week' on the right there's really only one page for Q&As.

And what's happened to the item headings? - Shutter repairs? Convertors for Canon? all it does is say what the question is about - where's the flair, the imagination, the talent of the previous approach. A title that does what it says on the tin? how boring.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

First impression - pretty good. Not sure one issue is enough to give a proper judgement on, but so far, so good for sure.

I actually do miss the podium, though. :D

16. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

I miss Garry already :(

but otherwise it seems OK, the questions pages seemed too busy though

17. Strobe

Strobe New Member

I like the new emphasis on technique, and I'm neutral on the new layout, but you've dropped the one section I most looked forward to each week! Can we start a petition to bring back Garry McNamara, pretty please?

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I sometimes wondered whether Gary was there to inform or to demonstrate his own prowess with PS. Sorry to be publicly critical Gary, but people who stick their brave heads above the parapet of publicity are asking to be shot at. I think the regular feature had a lot of value and hope to see it again but perhaps with a little bit of modesty and light hearted self deprecation. I intend this comment to be constructive.

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

What's all this speculation that Garry has gone?

Perhaps he went to get his beard trimmed, or perhaps they've given him more pages and it'll be a once a month thing?

Let's not jump up and down bemoaning his loss until we know for sure!

20. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Maybe he's just busy elsewhere teaching his new college course, 'Panning for Beginners'. ;)