1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll question 25 July 15 - Have you ever updated the firmware...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

.... for your camera?

I'm just after your comments for this question as the voting for this poll has closed. Thank you.

Have you ever updated the firmware for your camera?

Yes, I update whenever firmware is available
    Yes, when I remember
    No, I have no idea how to do it
    No, I'm scared to in case I break my camera
    No, I had no idea I could do this

[​IMG]

Chrissie

2. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Re: Poll question 25 July 15 - Have you ever updated the firmwar

I actually didn't see this pole but I have updated the firmware on two cameras. It's reasonably straight forward if you are a bit of a techie type like me but can be a bit daunting to someone who is less so.

Just one example from the Canon 5D2 instructions, 'Please download the compressed, self-extracting file that matches your computer's operating system and extract the contents ....... to create the firmware update file' would perhaps put some people off. :(

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

If I become aware of it, yes. As almost all my kit was bought second hand, I'm not on the manufacturers' mailing lists, so I generally only find out when I have a problem.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

OK, :eek: I'll own up :eek::eek: I tend to neglect such things. :eek::eek::eek:

Well, if it works, it works and when it doesn't I have to get it fixed.

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have done in the past and you've just reminded me that it has been a while. I suppose I should be more on the lookout for when updates are issued but it does tend to be a rather hit and miss thing with me. Just updating the 5DIII now and will crack on and do the fuji and the other canon after that.

Although, my last tecchy updates were disastrous - I updated my mac and the adobe CC suite within days of each other and I'm still having problems. Sincerely hope the firmware update is less traumatic!

5D's firmware updated in the time it took me to write this post - really not that hard!

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Yes, I have updated firmware on occasions. On other occasions I've specifically avoided an update, because it would have changed camera function in a way I didn't want.

It would be nice if camera firmware was more modular, so it would be possible to specifically choose which features you wanted.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have updated all the Olympus cameras at various times, not to mention one lens. The Canon seems more mature and I have experienced no particular desire to update. I must admit that this thread made me go and check the current version on the Canon and I am 2 issues behind! However I read through the list of fixes and, unless I am Ukrainian, they seem minor enough to ignore.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes I have updated the firm ware on my cameras but not recently

9. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Yes, and I regularly check for firmware updates.

10. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

No, my cameras never had any firmware updates.

11. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Fuji seem to have worked out a relatively simple approach.

But I've updated the firmware (on bodies and lenses) so many times now that it's become routine.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Updated the firmware the day my Fuji x30 arrived. I expect many people had to, as it came out very quickly, to fix a rare but possible glitch.
    FUJI seem to bring out firmware updates very regularly to keep features up to date to match their newer models.
    Not someting many users are used to, nor something other manufacturers do.

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

That's okay, I linked it on post 16 of the previous poll thread.

As for firmware, definitely. My Pentax Q autofocus improved a quantum leap with that particular update - not updating firmware would be like getting an slr and only using the kit lens... Yes, can do very well without upgrading to any other lenses, but in the long run you are depriving yourself of something you may find valuable in the long run.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Nope, my cameras have long since been abandoned by the manufacturers when it comes to updates...:rolleyes:

15. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Yes..........