1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL - Movie mode in DSLRs

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Sep 13, 2008.

?

What would be your choice?

1. 1. Chris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. Smithy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

2. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

" …..We believe it marks the end of DSLRs."

Ludicrous. Of course this wouldn't be the end of DSLRs. If this comes off it would just offer the consumer another choice. DSLRs will be around for as long as enthusiasts continue to want and buy them. There's no need to get hot and bothered about this.

Having said that, one of the top people at one of the 'big two' (who will remain anonymous) predicted at Photokina that within the next year or so pretty much every new DSLR on the market will offer video. Judging by the astronomical interest in the Nikon D90 and EOS 5D Mk.II buyers clearly want this feature.

3. Greetings from a far flung foreign outpost. My first post on AP.

Movie mode in a DSLR no thanks! It's almost as bad as live view or tilted screens. Still each to their own I guess.

Well call me old fashioned but if someone brought out a DSLR in an old Praktica MTL5 or a Nikon FM2, even a Canon AV1 body, I would much prefer to buy that. Pomgonewalkabout.com

4. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

You're old fashioned ... :rolleyes:

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Old fashioned is one way of putting it but I could think of others. I don't understand the desire to fit digital technology into old bodies. There is so much variety in DSLR bodies these days that there surely is a body to fit every hand? I also find modern cameras so much more comfortable to hold and use. Still each to their own.

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Not so; I'm not aware of any that don't have dials for things I don't use yet have no dials for things that I do.

Indeed. FYI I find an Oly OM3 or a Nikon FM3a much more comfortable to hold than any DSLR; I think the huge finger wrapround on the RHS and the lack of a protrusion on the LHS (where the film supply used to be) are responsible. The smaller, less cluttered design (due to the lack of complications I don't want) helps, too.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Ah, so I was right then, there is a body to fit every hand.
    (As proven by the exception to prove the rule)

First of all, your point about dials is a functional one not an erganominc one which I was was making. Secondly, even if you did have a digital sensor in the body of an MTL5B, the very fact that it carries a digital sensor would mean that by it's very nature the dials would change. Why have the shutter speed on a dial on the top left of the body when it can be controlled far more quickly and easily with a wheel near the shutter release? Likewise, why rely on an aperture ring on the lens when it can be controlled more quickly and more easily by a wheel just where your right hand thumb fits?

Most of the low end models have uncluttered bodies, what's there to lose?

Finally "finger wrap arounds" vary, some are bigger than others but like I said, there will be one to fit any hand (providing the mind is open enough) and if the you miss the "protrusion" on the lhs why are you not holding your SLR with an underhand grip on the lens thus supporting the body, giving easy access to the zoom and focus rings and proviiding a much more stable support to the camera and lens combo?