1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL - Movie mode in DSLRs

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Sep 13, 2008.

?

What would be your choice?

1. 1. Chris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. Smithy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Oh I'm not so sure. I'd say that compacts sell much more than DSLRs which to most people I know would be intimidating. I bet if a survey was done of the people I work with the result would be that digicompacts are fun cameras and DSLRs are serious cameras for pros. Not my opinion of course!

2. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

fyi - DSLRs currently account for around 7% of total worldwide digital camera sales, though they're growing at a much faster rate than compacts, which are starting to peak.

3. Larry Shone

Yea i know Nigel but even so I reckon if I asked the people in the street what cameras they or their wife would get they would pick a compact. I think they imagine SLRs to be bulky and heavy. And they want something to go in their pocket.

4. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I don't disagree with that at all. Digital compacts are here to stay. Camera phones won't kill them off and neither will DSLRs, micro four-thirds or anything else.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just because sales of DSLRs account for only 7% of the total camera market does not mean that only 7% of people own a DSLR. Most people who buy an SLR keep it for much longer than they do a compact camera system represents a considerable investment, around £1,000 for body a couple of lenses and a basic flash where as compacts come in between £100 and £200. Obviously you can spend much more. This suggests that the Video mode is aimed at a new market rather than existing users because the rate of replacement of DSLRs is slow.

6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I agree with Phil ... 'I can also see plenty of commercial / industrial photography applications where a short video clip can improve the context of detailed stills. (Think planning, estate agency, accident investigation etc)'

However, at the moment, where Video is added to DSLR's, it's there because the coding is compact and relatively easy to add onto the processing chips used in the camera.

However, if a DSLR manufacturer was feeling sufficiently brave or innovative enough, the fitting of a far more powerful in-camera processor with video output to seriously improve the functionality of a DSLR by offering a separate, independently powered (say 6"x9") screen*, via a cable or wireless link, making things like checking the image quality a lot better than on the built-in screen. After all, quite a few cameras can already be hooked up and controlled via a laptop, so it isn't exactly difficult to do. Who would want such a thing? ... Wildlife togs I suspect would salivate at the prospect, where terrain, a bulky hide etc. isn't practical.

It strikes me that when you compare the processing power in a DSLR to that offered on video cameras, we do seem to be lagging behind technology-wise.

* The screen could have a real-time image processor fitted in it, plus slots for the the memory cards to save the images onto, instead of transferring them back into the camera body.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think Overread meant in terms of quality, not sales, and there I'm sure he's right.

8. Larry Shone

Oh yea absolutely! The compacts may be getting more and more pixels but thats no guarantee of quality. The 10D i'm currently using has the same pixel count as my panasonic bridge camera but they're worlds apart! But what concerns me is the ongoing trend towards smaller cameras like the newly proposed micro 4/3rds system(what a ugly name that is!). Yes the cameras are more compact and lighter but photographically we should be going the other way! Full frame or higher please! Isn't it the case that trying to cram more pixels onto a smaller sensor is a compromise,creating more noise above 100 ISO? I avoid using the panasonic above 100 ISO unless its in B/W mode,yet the canon can be used comfortably at ISO 400! And now there is a phone out with an 8 MP camera!

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think the market is going in two general directions - one, a move to full frame for quality, and two, smaller cameras with decent-sized sensors for convenience, and they're both valid to me.

10. Larry Shone

I'd love it if all DSLRs had full frame sensors,then we could go back to calling the 35mm SLRs! The next generation of photographers would just take the name on board without realising its historical significance unless they chose to dig deeper and then they'd learn of its origin.

11. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

As Mr Big said in Live and Let Die "Names is for tombstones, baby!" (He then said "Y'all take this honkey out and WASTE HIM! NOW!" but I think that's a bit OTT in this instance)

I don't care what a camera system is called, all I care about is the quality of the image, the handling of the equipment and the range of lenses and accessories available.

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people hanker for a full-frame camera, just want this so they can use all their old lenses, instead of spending money on new ones?!!

13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

For me it's purely about low noise at high ISO. Bar that, my D300 gives me everything else I could hope for at the moment

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I do not hanker in the least for a FF camera. Provided my camera gives the quality results I require, I am perfectly happy. The actual size of the sensor that achieves this is of no concern to me. After all it is only an intermediate stage between subject and final result.

15. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Video on still camera = ashtray on motorbike...................for me anyway! :eek:

BigWill

16. Larry Shone

well I'd love to try a Hasselblad H1!
    (Is there a H2 yet?)

17. Larry Shone

ah, no good to me Will as I dont smoke ;)

18. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

20. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

This will make some of you see Red!