1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - It’s the 10th anniversary of Lightroom this year. How much do you use it

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

It’s the 10th anniversary of Lightroom this year. How much do you use it? Take part and vote on this week's poll

[​IMG]

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

A good selection of options that cover nearly all the bases! I'm just waiting for somebody to complain that they only use film...

Cheers, Jeff

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I only use film.

;-)

Fishboy likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Actually I don't use LR at all. I have photoshop and Bridge and have never really felt compelled to get to grips with something else that as far as I can see offers me pretty much the same thing? I'm sure someone will correct me.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I don't use LR, mostly I use ACR from Bridge and Photoshop proper with occasional use of Canon's DPP and Nikon View NX2.

A copy of Lightroom 2 is on my PC but I gave up on it as the Library function wants to take over everything and if I put files where I want them to be LR complained bitterly and got confused. I swear Windows Picture Manager coped better when it came to tracking image files... If the Library function was less irritating I might use it.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I said I only use LR which is only 95% true as I use DPP for initial assessment of Canon files and very occasionally use the edit function as part of that assessment. I've got GIMP installed too - managed to superpose a text message on a jpg to make a card. That was the limit of that so far.

When I am away from home I have DPP and Silkypix for Fuji on a laptop but I wouldn't do a proper edit only rank. I also Installed RawTherapee in desperation at Silkypix. Suppose I ought to put GIMP on too and learn more about editing for making cards.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've used a darkroom. Does that count?

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I use light room as my library filing system.. I do not use it to process much at all.
    Prior to 2010 I used IView. but is was taken over by Microsoft and changed out of recognition. and became useless.
    I fear light room may one day become defunct, or lose its usefulness.

9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I wish whoever compiled the poll had used the terminology "process/processor" rather than "edit/editor".

I use Lightroom as the processing hub for all my photography. My image files are imported to it and copied to my PC from the camera cards. I do much of my routine processing in Lightroom, utilising plug-ins such as PhotoshopCC and the Nik suite as required from within Lightroom if I want to something a bit "cleverer". Final processing is then done in Lightroom from which I either print of export files according to the use I am going to make of the photographs.

The filing, cataloguing and keywording features suit me.

But, as with most things, it is horses for courses, different strokes for different folks or any number of other inane clichés. It so happened that the first version of Lightroom was introduced just at the time I was converting to digital after 50+ years of film photography and compared to other processing software, Lightroom was just hugely intuitive for anyone steeped in darkroom techniques. It met all my early digital needs and, as each successive version was released, it just became increasingly powerful and sophisticated. It was quite some time before I discovered any desire to add plug-ins such as Photoshop. Now the CC suite is second nature to me and I can't see me ever changing.

I do admit, however, that for anyone entering digital photography from scratch today, Serif's Affinity Photo for Windows (or Mac) could be a much cheaper alternative.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Me too.

Lynn

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

My most used photography program. I bought it mainly for the catalogue function but for most of my photos it provides all the editing I require.

12. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'd use it a lot more if it came with instructions for use. I don't know how software companies get away with selling their stuff with no proper printed manuals to read. I can well remember back around 1995 checking into a hotel on a business trip with a new laptop for a specific project I had just started and taking a large-ish, heavy box of printed manuals up to the bedroom to read that night - for Microsoft Word and Excel, plus IIRC WordPerfect (which the client had specified for the documentation being produced). Nowadays you get nowt; disgraceful IMHO

Consequently I have used but a fraction of what I suspect Lightroom is capable of doing; if ever I manage to retire early I'd like to go on a tuition course to learn how to use Lightroom, plus another for Photoshop Elements and further courses on how to improve my photographic skills

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

As I don't use a MS OS I don't use any MS or Adobe programs.

AlexMonro likes this.
  14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The manuals are available for download.

15. PhotoEcosse

Manuals and other tutorial material are readily available. But it is a very complex program, so don't expect to find comprehensive instructions in anything less than a 500-page book.

16. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

I think that the key factor in all of this is that Lightroom was designed, from the beginning, as a tool for photographers whereas Photoshop and several other programs were initially designed as tools for graphic artists, etc., and adopted by photographers when film gave way to digital.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nearly. What about people who use a combination of LR and something other than PS?
    Just being nit picking. I use LR & PS.

18. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I don't want a download, I want a proper printed book that I can read alongside the screen whilst I am working with the software !

19. PhotoEcosse

I am a bit like that, Ivor. What I do is have a You Tube instructional video running on one monitor while I have LR open on the other. But I do like printed books (I am sure it is an age thing) and the LR manuals by Martin Evening are my favourites.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

'Photoshop Lightroom CC 2015 release Lightroom6', CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, John Evans & Katrin Straub, Adobe Press, ISBN-13: 978-0-13-392482-4.

'The ADOBE PHOTOSHOP LIGHTROOM CC/LIGHTROOM 6 BOOK' The Complete Guide for Photographers, Martin Evening, Adobe Press ISBN-13: 978-0-133-92919-5.

'Adobe Photoshop, LIGHTROOM CC/6', The missing FAQ. Victoria Bampton, LRQ, ISBN 978-1-910381-02-1

Of those three I prefer Martin Evening. That is a personal opinion; I just like his style of instruction. All three titles are useful.