1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Is your photography stuck in a rut?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I don’t know about you, but I find it very easy to get stuck in a rut. I don’t do it intentionally, and I don’t know I’m in one until I’ve been in it for some time. I start to get a bit bored and discontented. If I don’t sit back to look at myself and what I have been doing, I don’t discover what’s wrong with me. I just carry on travelling along that rut. The dissatisfaction doesn’t come about because the quality of my existence has changed, but purely because I have been doing it the same way for too long, without a change and without thinking enough about ‘why’.

They say a change is as good as a rest, but in fact it can be far more beneficial – in photography, as well as in life. I think we can all get bored, however enjoyable the activity, if we do it continuously without a change. When we make that change it can seem as though a whole new world has opened up before us.

The change doesn’t have to be permanent but, like a holiday, it can reinvigorate the way we approach the everyday. So this week, why not try one of the techniques in this issue? Perhaps it will prove to be the change you didn’t know you needed.

Take part in this week's poll - Is your photography stuck in a rut? by visiting the AP home page.

Damien

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Poll still shows as HDR results...

Short answer is that I rather supect it is. Looking back recently at images from even just a couple of years back I realised that my older stuff was way more interesting and experimental. Clearly I need to give myself a mental boot up the backside to start looking rather than snapping...

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

yes but then it always seems to be. I've acquired some old M42 type SLRs in order to get me going...usually I do a test roll to check they're working ok and the lenses are working but then I slow to a halt thinking what can I do as I don't seem to have a clue what I want to do with them or indeed any other camera.
    Perhaps I spend too much time in front of a screen and not enough outside, perhaps my brain is addled...perhaps the weather is to blame.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've been feeling that I'm in a rut for a while, so I've recently got in to playing with vintage 120 folders. I'm not sure if this is photography or collecting, but it makes me think more about the shots I do take. With 120, it doen't take so long to finish the roll! :)

BTW, still showing the HDR poll.

5. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Not so much "stuck in a rut" as "sunk without trace" ... sorry guys, I know how superior digital imaging is over film, but somehow it's boring to do it ... too easy? too much volume? or has my brain just ceased to care?

Sorry, again, but when I'm not in the mood to take "routine" shots, I'm not going to find it easy to experiment with a new technique either. I learn stuff when I need to, not as a boredom relief.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Exactly the same for me. I don't know what happened, but something did. I was more inventive with my old Sony Cybershot!

7. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Wouldn't say I was in a rut as I still enjoy landscapes but I certainly think I could do with breaking out of my comfort zone. Give me that kick up the backside I need to get a new perspective and bring that back to my landscapes.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

sorry can't resist
    try a different focal length then.....:D

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I do not try new techniques just for the sake of it.
    I learn new things when what I need to achieve is beyond my present scope.
    That way learning always serves a purpose.
    And not simply to follow a fashion.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Perspective only changes with viewpoint... not focal length............

11. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well this is why I try and vary my photography. :)

Most of the time because my kit is portable it goes out with me even when visiting a exhibition.

To me it seems to be the key. If your kit is easy to carry you are more likely to say to yourself "take the camera as well".

I also set a target of going out at least once a month to create images of any type.

With digital there is really no excuse is there?

Before it have might been, need film or money for processing etc.

Plus you can experiment, try new things.

I think visiting exhibitions and read about photography gives you ideas and makes you think "must try that". :)

PS: I too am seeing the HDR poll. :(

12. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Not as bad as the rut the poll is stuck in - still an HDR poll after two days.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yes. My Web site has been under development since I retired 10 years ago. I don't print anything. My published images only appear anonymously on a couple of voluntary organisation's websites. One or two people tell me that I have a good eye for a photograph but I assume that they are just desperate to get a picture to illustrate a project. I have lots of film images, especially of just post independence East Africa, fading on Agfachrome. I have never dared show anything on this site, although I have thought some of my stuff is as good as what appears in the mag. One annoying thing about this is that I not only have the gear to get this sorted, I also have learnt how to do it, and then something else comes along to take my interest. Worst of all my three score and ten is up in July. Hopefully my deadline has been extended by good surgical intervention.
    I should get my act together. There is so much to do I feel overwhelmed as to where to start.
    Perhaps I should run my life in the same way that I ran IT projects. I don't need software or an 'app' to produce a Gantt chart to retirement do I. Retirement should be a time to tidy up life's loose ends. Ten years in and I haven't even started.
    Edit. I hope that I have not written too much here. This isn't a plea for help. I don't need that. More, perhaps, I just need a kick up the backside to get be off internet forums like this one and do something constructive.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Damien,

It's important, though, to distinguish between "stuck in a rut" and "developing a theme". When I look back on my own early photography, I tended far too much to do "a bit of this and a bit of that". Most beginners do the same.

It took me many years to realize that there is a big difference between doing the same thing forever -- the classic "club bore" who can tell you far more than you ever wanted to know about how to photograph reptiles with a quarter-plate Sanderson -- and working in different "series" of related pictures.

These "series" don't need to get in the way of other pictures. On the other hand, unless at least some of your pictures are in related groups or "series", you're just flailing around.

Cheers,

R.

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Ever stuck in a rut? Nope! I never go out to shoot something that I've already done, (That's one reason why I won't shoot weddings and only the occasional event - the thought of doing either on a regular basis makes me shudder.) I don't see the point, so I either shoot someone different, or to capture someone again in a different way.

The only thing that holds me back from shooting more is the sheer effort of organising shoots. What with flakey models, unresponsive media managers, publicity officers etc it's a battle just to get into the position to shoot someone.

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I've never photographed a rut before, let alone one that has a covering of glue.....

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Update of the question on the home page is definitely stuck in a rut.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Ruts are usually a bit tight for getting the camera into. Ditches and gorges are better for getting stuck in IMHO. Canyons too probably :)

19. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

This is going to be the first poll printed in AP Mag that has zero responses in all categories.

My photography definitely isn't stuck in a rut - I have my lulls, but I'm currently having a lot of fun with my "Cheap Digital Camera" project. This is where I buy up cheap but working digital cameras from eBay and try and get decent results from them.

All cameras have to be less that £20 and my best yet are an Olympus C-920 for 99p and an Olympus C-150 for £2.95. The latter is quite a challenge as it seems to have quite a shocking lens, but that just makes it more fun.

So, yes, not in a rut.

20. Terrywoodenpic

[​IMG]

Not a rut to be stuck in....................