1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - If your camera manufacturer stopped making cameras, ...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Dec 29, 2015.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - If your camera manufacturer stopped making cameras, .

If my camera manufacturer ceased making cameras I might have to get a 'painting-by-numbers' set with which to further amuse myself (not to mention my wife and offspring).

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Not many years ago I toyed with the idea of switching brands, as reading various articles in magazines it appeared Pentax was close to death's door, especially after their brief tie-in with Samsung and Hoya.

Should I risk buying more Pentax kit...... yes/no.... yes/no... big decisions....

However I stuck with Pentax and so far I'm glad I did. I think (hope) there's still quite a few years left in the brand.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi dangie, Pentax seem to be taking things very conservatively, cautiously, steadily & thoroughly. Bit like Nikon used to:p do. Cheers, Oly

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Not particularly concerned about this, as I feel that I'd be able to pick up s/hand, other versions, for considerably longer than I'm ever going to live! With so many manufacturers now producing mirrorless models and the vast range of lens to body adaptor mounts, this far less of an issue than it used to be.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'd keep going with what I have until it stops working and then look at the surviving competition to see what will suit...

6. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Pentax have now had nothing to do with Samsung for eight years. The recovery of Pentax dates back to them separating from Samsung (on a technical level) and Hoya (on a business level).

As for "mutters" about Samsung getting out of cameras, they have - as confirmed by "European board statements".

And the revival of Leica R lenses is in all probability confined to their use with digital bodies. Indeed, in the press announcements for their full-frame mirrorless a few weeks ago Leica were quite open that they see no future in DSLRs. Much as it may please some to speculate on new film cameras, if they won't even countenance a digital SLR they certainly won't make a film SLR again.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Film is a niche market, allegedly a growing one, not large enough for the giants to start developing new film cameras presumably, aside from the fact there is a gargantuan amount of used serviceable film kit around, much of it at rock-bottom prices.

Leitz never seem to have been comfortable with slrs somehow.

8. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

buy lens adapters;)

9. Klaesser

Klaesser Active Member

Tough - just get something else (except Sony)

10. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Hi,
    I have several camera's from different manufacturers. They all have their strong and week points; but several take very nice pictures, once you learns their quirks. In recent years I've been more interested in atmosphere and the artistic merit of my pictures, and am not as fussy as I used to be about IQ, so I may not be the best reference on this subject.
    ....... john