1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - If your camera manufacturer stopped making cameras, ...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - If your camera manufacturer stopped making cameras, .

I am too as the AF lens obviously fit my Sony A bodies.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ah, I see: thanks. Then again, I use all my manual focus lenses on the systems they are designed for, and given the longevity of both the Nikon and Leica mounts -- both go back more than 50 years, and there are millions of lenses available -- I suspect that even digital cameras using these mounts will remain available for a long time yet. And, as I noted above, I could always go back to film.

Cheers,

R.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Oh, no! Don't tell me MPP have stopped making 5x4 cameras! Shock-horror :eek::D.

Seriously I'll keep on using my Canon 5D with my small collection of Leica R primes for as long as possible. After that? No idea.

4. Loup Garou

Loup Garou Well-Known Member

Olympus? Unlikely but possible. If they did, I'll continue to use my existing kit for as long as they are serviceable and then switch to Nikon.

5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be much of a surprise to many if Nikon and Olympus disappeared over the next few years.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Olympus are certainly fragile Nikon probably less so although both have been given significant life support by Sony

7. Ffolrord

Indeed. Olympus have been saved for the time being by some superb products worthy of Sony's life support. How sustainable that is remains to be seen. They need to rid themselves permanently of their crooked culture too.

Nikon don't do much apart from optics and that makes them vulnerable compared to diversified rivals. They don't do anything that makes them unique either in the camera business. You wouldn't lose anything by buying a Canon. The corporate structure and support network is one of those Japanese secret societies. It could crumble quickly if camera sales decline as they have already.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If I couldn't have my Nikon, I wouldn't go for a Canon - not a DSLR anyway. Just don't like it, not the feel or manipulation. I don't find them comfortable at all.

9. Loup Garou

Although I have used more Canon cameras than any other make over the years, I would not shed a tear for them if they disappeared. They are efficient but terribly boring, uninspiring and characterless. To me Sony seem to be heading the same direction.....I would never buy a Sony camera no matter how good it is. The Alpha's looks make me want to throw up.

10. Roger_Provins

So which cameras do meet with your approval?

11. Ffolrord

Interesting. I find the two rather similar. Very similar lens choices, minor differences with everything else.

12. Loup Garou

I know that such things are personal and so I stress that this is IMO only. I quite like Nikon's SLR styles over the years though funnily enough I have never owned one. I really love the more recent Olympus OM-D retro style and own the EM5 Marks I & II. Pentax SLRs are OK.

In the film era, I always used Canon SLRs but that was more by accident than design. I got a Canon A1 as a wedding gift from a relative and years later when autofocus supervened, I got a EOS 620 and then an EOS 10. They were all good functionally, but I have never liked the EOS styling.

13. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

My Wista will last longer than me anyway.

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Most of the manufacturers of my past cameras have gone to the wall.
    Though in some cases the name still exists in another guise.

These include Rolleiflex, minolta, ensign, agfa, kodak,thornton pickard, mpp, plaubel, Gandolfi, voigtlander to name just a few.
    However in all cases I had moved on before it became a problem.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Have you still got the Gandolfi, cut film holders, and suitable lenses? They are now rather collectable both for use, and sadly for show.

16. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I wouldn't worry. My biggest concern is my ageing to the point where poverty or loss of faculty prevents me using what I've got and lack of consistent use threatens the mechanics of that kit and results in constant repair bills. Time to downsize for me is long overdue but have things to do first.

I seriously doubt that Canon & Nikon will ever stop. As for the others, {pause for sharp intake of breath} even Panasonic - rapidly climbing to No3 spot - and Fuji - ditto to No4 - have some causes for doubts about a long-term future. Sony could pull out if the main Board decided still imaging didn't fit their strategy anymore in the light of the sales achieved so far but IIRC, they make a lot of sensors using Nikon equipment to do so, so may choose just to do that and keep some camera making going as a result.

The big question may revolve around legacy IF the film recovery maintains steady growth. A big IF but whether you like it or not it's happening and doesn't look like going away right now. That may be Leica's underlying strength. OTOH, they - on past form - must be vulnerable to both their own over-reaching and market vagaries. I don't think Canon would go back to film but Sony might just (with Minolta) and Leica are reviving R lens usability. Nikon would be the obvious one to benefit from a sustained film resurgence.

All the above depends on what the makers have mothballed in dark corners of their factories. Speaking of which, Leica are, IIRC, the ones with the most up-to-date facilities now.

RicohPentax are said to have solid finance behind them (like Canon & unlike Panasonic) but Olympus must still be the prime candidate for departing the field. Are RicohPentax manufacturing the Samsungs? I've heard the mutters that Samsung might pull out but would be surprised, especially in view of European board statements, if they do.

As runner up to Olympus in the most-threatened in 2016, I would add Hasselblad. I cannot see a medium term future for them, let alone a long-term one.

17. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I voted for both 1 and 2, as both apply. Once it became clear that Sony were no longer continuing the full frame ‘A’ mount line, I decided to keep my A850 until it died. I got nearly 25 years out of my Rollei 2000/3000 system, so I am aiming for the same with Sony (fat chance?)!

I also bought a second body, and started duplicating my lens line up, half new and half second hand. I have at least two of each lens category – wide angle zoom, standard zoom, short tele zoom, long tele zoom, nifty fifty, medium length macro etcetera etcetera ad nauseam. If I get close to the longevity out of this lot that I got out of my Rollei setup, I shall also be close to clog popping age, and so not care one way or another. :( :D

18. Roger_Provins

I'm in a similar situation with a a900 and lenses (mixture of Sony and Minolta) I decided to hang on to it all and let it see me out.

Got hold of a a58 which has an A mount APS (half frame) sensor of 20.1mp (so equivalent density to 40mp full frame). Real cheapo body but an excellent new sensor and all the modern stuff like live-view, swivelling screen, standard hot-shoe, pop-up flash etc. Does a fantastic job with my Sony 100mm macro lens. It's also half the weight of the a900 which is a bonus at my age. :)

So all in all I've plenty to play with for the time being.

19. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I'm not tied to any particular brand, although using Sony and Canon (with a motley collection of lenses from here and there) at present.

Can't imagine that either Sony or Canon will go in the foreseeable future, but wouldn't mope if they did, just jump ship.

I'm more concerned that I might wear out my NEX 6 before the (often) rumoured replacement arrives mid 2016, or was that 2017.......

Having used one for a few years now, the new camera would have to be mirrorless. DSLR - No Way, Jose.

20. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I also have a mix of lenses - in fact, I am a veritable equal opportunity employer, with lenses from Sony, Minolta, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Cosina. I have been toying with the idea of getting an A99, but although I don't mind second hand lenses, I am wary of second hand bodies.

I once dreamt of an A99II, with BSI sensor, and all the other goodies from the A7RII - dream on!! :mad: :(