1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - If you use a digital camera, do you use the in-camera black & white mode?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

I'll shoot in colour. Then I'll give simple desaturation a try, and if I'm not happy with that will mix the individual colour channels down to mono to bring out specific features.

2. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

The short answer is no.

But, to date, I've been unable to properly replicate the use of film using a digital camera. I do prefer B&W to colour, but, commercially, there isn't a great demand, so I probably haven't given enough time to discover the best solution. There is a view that photo editors can transform a colour image into monochrome should they want that style, so why bother trying to supply a niche market? There is probably some demand from POD customers, and, for example, Greggs use B&W images in some of their shops.

To date I have tended to go for a quick fix using Lightroom or Photoshop, and the results have been pretty unconvincing. I am aware that there are programs available that claim to match the characteristics of film, but I've not explored them.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I use it sometimes. How exactly depends on what I'm doing. And with which camera. Sometimes I'll shoot RAW but with the monochrome setting enabled and that gives me a B&W image to look at in review on-camera so that I can tune my eye to the way lights and shadows look without colour. When I open the files up in Bridge the B&W has been discarded and I'm left with the colour RAW file to convert how I please. That works well for me a lot of the time because I find that if I am looking at black and white images, I start to see in black and white but if I'm not doing it all the time I lose that a little. This gets me back into the way of thinking that way quite quickly.

The other option is when I know in advance that the end results, and possibly quite a lot of them, are going to be in black and white. Then I'll shoot RAW and jpeg. That gives me the same mono image to look at on screen, but also a black and white reference shot to help with the conversion of the RAW when I'm home again.

I have, for the last year or so, shot very little black and white. I've been much more interested in colour images and in fact for one project at art school where the brief demanded black and white images, I had to go and have a complete rethink because the work I'd made just felt all wrong to me in black and white. I had to find different material and it was the colour stuff that I liked better anyway. That said, I shot an event in black and white a couple of weeks back and the nature of it meant that black and whtie was really the only way to go for me, so it depends.

My little fuji 100xs whatever it's called has the distinct advantage of giving you the image in the viewfinder that corresponds to the setting you've chosen. So if you choose to shoot B&W, you see B&W. If for some bizarre reason you choose to do a 'purple colour pop', (??????) you'll see everything in B&W except anything that happens to be purple!

4. CanonGary

CanonGary Member

No never, although I've been told the camera can see more shades of grey so it's better than converting afterwards but I don't know if this is true.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

True about exposure but what about filtering? Red, yellow, green, and then there's grads. Polarising is a different matter; that cannot be replicated post.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Terry. The grain in those photographs may well have been seen as obtrusive at the time, but now it is nostalgic. Some people struggle to replicate the effect digitally. Why? They would be better off doing it for real with real overdeveloped underexposed film.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Half true. Modern cameras use 12 or 14 bit capture which, if saved as jpg is reduced to 8 bit. So if you save a colour jpg and convert that you have less information to start with but if you save the raw data you always have full information and can do more with it in software in post processing than in camera.

mediaman likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Yes indeed: what about filtering? How do you cock up a B+W image via filtering? Unless of course you under-expose it badly...

Cheers,

R.