1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - If you use a digital camera, do you use the in-camera black & white mode?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Vote on this week's poll - If you use a digital camera, do you use the in-camera black & white mode?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have always taken my images in colour and converted later (if appropriate) however my daughter puts the camera into B&W mode so she can review on the screen immediately and as I am very impressed with her images I will probably change myself.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Use mainly raw+jpeg so can easily have colour or mono but by far the majority of my stuff is close-ups or macros and they don't really work in mono.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I never use jpeg so it comes down to post-processing.

For a short while I used monochrome settings for post capture review to see if it changed my assessment of a composition but I tend not to "chimp" on the spot. If I review on camera it will be while having a coffee somewhere. Therefore it was largely pointless and I reverted to using colour.

When I started using a digital camera I envisaged doing 90% mono and 10% colour and bought a printer suited to mono work. In practice it has proved 0.1% and 99.9% as the colour is so good.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't use the in-camera Black and White because I shoot in raw but I suppose it might be worth a try with a spare body.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I have done using it as a guide mode and maybe I should more often - if only as training in seeing mono potential....

I probably could drop my IR camera into mono permanently as the custom WB means the 'colour' image is almost mono anyway...

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

No, that's what film is for.

Cheers,

R.

8. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

when I want mono I set the camera to raw mono to compose in live view. I can always change my mind in post processing and switch back to colour but I don't.

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

My eyes see colour, therefore I shoot in colour, never mono

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Certaintly not. I shoot raw and decide development later.

Why lose the capability of using various experiments in filtering?

That's what film can be for. Cock it up in camera on film, and that's it. Cock it up in raw, up to a point, but with retrospective colour filtering you may recover the shot, or even be experimental. And better still one can experiment and learn at leisure. Of course one can just bung on a red filter, use film, and landscapes can have all the drama of the 1950's. (and there isn't anything wrong with 1950's monochrome landscapes) well not much.

11. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Why not?

If a digital camera offers it up, then I don't see why I wouldn't use it.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

There are no advantages at all in using the in camera black and white converter.
    All options remain open when you shoot raw.

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I always shoot in RAW when using a digital camera with that ability.

When I'm composing my pictures I generally know which ones will end up as colour and which will be back and white.

14. Roger Hicks

You need to be fairly impressively incompetent to "cock up" a B+W film image to the point where it's unusable. Gross underexposure is about the only possibility.

Cheers,

R.

15. Fishboy

Ah yes...I remember it well. As a youth I sometimes used to mistakenly think that I could take photographs in near darkness, expecting the science fiction-like super-speed of HP5 to capture every exquisite detail.

I recall unspooling newly-developed rolls of film, fresh from the developing tank, and seeing almost absolutely clear frames with perhaps just the odd pinpoint of black from a light source or two...

The foolishness of youth!

Cheers, Jeff

16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

In the Days much earlier than that (Late 40's) there was a short craze of developing to infinity. Which increased sensitivity but 4.5 stops
    But obviously increase the gamma and grain and base fog in proportion.
    Asa 100 became about 1000.......( kodak super xx, in D76)
    It only worked with non solvent developers and entailed extended development of at least an hour.
    Some examples from my school days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    dream_police and Geren like this.
  17. Roger Hicks

To the best of my recollection (i.e. I'm too lazy to check) the original DIN standard was based on development to gamma infinity, and William Mortensen used something very similar.

The current ISO gamma is quite high (approximately 0.62) and twenty years ago the Japanese members of the ISO standards committee were constantly lobbying to have it dropped to more like 0,56.

Cheers,

R.

18. Roger Hicks

[QUOTE="Terrywoodenpic, post: 1391680, mem[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Love this pic!

Cheers,

R.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  19. Fishboy

I love the pictures too - they have real sense of time and place about them if you take my meaning.

Cheers, Jeff

Geren, Learning and Roger Hicks like this.
  20. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

I shoot RAW.... if the subject suits the B/W treatment, then I convert afterwards.