1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - If you haven’t gone mirrorless yet, what’s holding you back?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jul 26, 2017.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Now I've seen the poll I guess my answer is mostly because my SLRs do everything I need with an element of mirrorless is too small and fiddly.

As it happens I do have a mirrorless camera (a Panny G3) which does deliver decent IQ but I do find the controls a bit small - and I don't even have hands that big. On top of that I also find I all too frequently hit some of the controls while shooting simply because there isn't enough space to simply hold the camera. I note that some of the recent introductions are a bit larger so maybe the obsession with ultra miniaturization has passed in favour of sensible ergonomics.

The poll question as phrased almost seems to infer that I should go mirrorless to which my reply would be -Why?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The way he question was stated prompted my own slightly stroppy earlier reply.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Maybe he just likes winding up DSLR owners? :cool:

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

By the way, I have heard of duct tape, and even used it. But what is Duck tape?

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

iirc the original brand of the tape; duct tape is a mis-heard version of the original name. I think...

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

In America there is a brand of duct tape called Duck tape (possibly to profit from the fact that so many numpties think that is a generic name).

https://www.duckbrand.com/

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Duck tape is very useful in covering mouths and bindig arms and legs in B grade American movies.
    As the market leader It is has become a generic term, like to hover, and to google.

Most people would not know ducts might need tape.

8. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Yes, clumsy wording all round. I answered “My SLR does everything I need” although I’d give “It's too expensive to change systems” almost as much weight. But the truth is that if I thought EVFs were close to matching the view through my D800, I might think seriously about switching to a Sony a7RII, or a Fujifilm XT-2 if I wanted to downsize.

Chris

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I switched SLR systems 27 years ago, it was expensive then and it took me seven years to get back to the position I was in before changing i.e. range of lenses and bodies. Since then I have added new items as well. I simply could never afford to replace what I have with a mirrorless system for some very simple reasons; I would need to keep my lenses for use with film and the trade-in/sale price of my DSLR bodies wouldn't begin to cover the cost of a body and a couple of fast zooms.

I have a Nikon 1 J5 which is, of course, mirrorless and it doesn't begin to handle as well as an SLR. An EVF may make it easier to use, but for the fact that I would have to upgrade to a V3 to get one. I find using the monitor on the back of the camera totally counter intuitive unless it is in its stowed position so even an articulated screen on an SLR would be of little value.

The SLR was the tool of choice for a very long time, it hasn't lost anything since the mirrorless camera came along so, absent any good reason to do so, I won't be changing my system again, and if I did it would probably be to another SLR based one.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Duck is a proprietary brand of tape.
    Duct tape, Gaffer tape and Tank tape are all fabric based tapes with adhesives of varying levels of "tack". Gaffer tape being relatively low tack and Tank tape being somewhat higher. Contrary to popular belief they aren't all different names for the same thing.

Gaffer tape is such low tack that it easily unstuck, it sticks really well to only one thing, gaffer tape, which is why it should always be removed from what ever it is supposed to be holding down, usually cables. Pull up the tape with the cable and it will wrap itself round the cable, from which it can then only be removed with a sharp knife.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

If I were to - heaven forbid - permit myself to go into cynical/conspiracy mode, I would say that although mirror-less cameras definitely bring something to the table*, there is an awful lot of marketing hype going on. The title of this survey certainly appears to be predicated on the idea that if you haven't moved to mirror-less there must be reason, because of course you would want to. I would also venture to say that now the initial digital boom at the higher end is petering out, compared to 8-10 years ago, manufacturers are trying to entice us to pastures new.

* The table
    Smaller bodies - the lenses not so much (or at all).
    The EVF - that's an improvement, huh?
    Focus peaking - nice, but other ways of getting there. (Ever met this bloke Manuel? :D)
    Higher frame rate - genuine advantage if you're into that sort of thing, but it comes at a price (frozen AF).

Anybody got anything else to put on the table?

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You are overworking this. As all the polls are this was a follow on to an AP review of the mirrorless cameras on the market - a "mirrorless edition" generated a "mirrorless poll".

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

True, but you can't deny that "why haven't you" implies exactly what SO said: "if you haven't moved to mirror-less there must be reason, because of course you would want to."

No, I don't want to. If I had the money swilling around, I might buy that pretty little Olympus as well as my other cameras, but I'm sure as hell not going to "move to" mirrorless.

Cheers,

R.

Learning and PhotoEcosse like this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

...or, perhaps, quod erat demonstrandum re the marketing comment.

15. SqueamishOssifrage

My dear sir, you exaggerate. I believe you are already an oficiando of, perhaps the best mirror-less system on the market. :D

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. Roger Hicks

As indeed noted in Post 9. But I suspect they weren't talking about Leicas.

Cheers,

R.

17. PeteRob

Dear Roger, indeed I don't deny it. I just consider that reading too much into the asinine title of a pointless poll is over doing it a bit :)

Pete

PhotoEcosse and Roger Hicks like this.
  18. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

"Asinine" and "pointless" may however be a little unfair.

Was it Bernard Levin* who said, "Those who quite like this sort of thing will find that this is the sort of thing they quite like"? Most polls appeal to precisely that audience.

*Answers own question: probably Max Beerbohm, but with antecedents.

Cheers,

R.

19. PeteRob

True - "silly" and "fun" would have done better. I'm struggling to keep the procrastination going. I really ought to be doing my income tax return.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

From some of the foregoing, it would appear that the question "If you haven’t gone mirrorless yet, what’s holding you back?". Is seen as presupposing that mirrorless is a step forwards. I suspect the truth is that for many (most?) of us that isn't the case. Mirrorless is a step but neither forwards or backwards but sideways, it offers some advantages but at the cost of others.

May I also suggest that the wording of the question probably says more about the questioner than the respondents.