1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - If you could only ever shoot on one focal...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

...length again, what would it be?

Take part and vote on the poll in 28 November 2015 issue of AP - If you could only ever shoot on one focal length again, what would it be?

[​IMG]

2. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

I voted "85mm or longer" as I use 5x4 - I don't actually have a lens as wide as 85mm.... I'd probably vote for 210mm had it been available as a choice.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

In real life it would probably be 40mm but that was not an option I picked 35 mm. That assumes that I was using FF if using my Oly kit it would have been 17mm

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

+1 around 40 would be the best compromise.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Depends on the format but for 35mm film size or digital equivalent I think, out of the choices, I'd have a 35mm lens.

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with the 23mm f1.4 (which is actually 35mm) on my new (secondhand) Fuji XPro1. And on the Nikon D800 the 50mm is so very useful.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Dunno.

Nervous AND mental breakdown time.

Why do you think I have cupboards full?

If pushed I can make a good case for 50mm (on 135/F/f format) but also, increasingly 35mm and even 30mm. I might therefore compromise, like Roger Mac, on a 40mm.

20/1.7 on a Pannie GX7?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...................................................................................................................

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would chose a 50mm f1.4 Sigma Art lens. I would also cheat by using that one lens on two cameras, one DX, t'other FX.

9. 0lybacker

Old photographers never tire of photography but their focal lengths get shorter.

10. Birder101

Birder101 New Member

I would go for a 400mm f/4.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd have to go medium format but I am not sure how the sensor sizes go. I think I'd pick 50 mm on 6x6. No good for birding though.

12. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

We managed fine in the past, so I am sure we could manage fine again.

I only ever had a 50mm f/1.8 on my Nikon FM2a, an 80mm f/2.8 on my Rollei SL6003 and a 105mm f/2.4 on my Pentax 67 - which were all pretty much equivalent to 50mm on my current digital full-frame body.

However, if forced to make the choice today (what sort of fantasy world do our pollsters live in?) I think I might go a wee bit shorter - perhaps 24mm or 28mm. With the multi-megapixels of today's digital sensors, it is no great problem to shoot wide and crop heavily.

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And with a Pentax Q body and the right adaptor it becomes a telephoto lens...

14. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the question have specified a format, i.e. APS-C, FF, 4/3rds, etc?

Personally, on FF (or 35mm) I would vote for a focal length of 35mm every time.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No, we like loop holes. I think that mentioning Pentax Q was going a bit far, but Nikon 1 should be ok by the V5. (I know that they haven't yet released the severely flawed V4 yet).
    I have rethought about the 50mm Sigma as excellent as it is. I think that for use across Nikon 1, Nikon DX and Nikon FF then a single 35mm would be perfect. This would be optimised for a very sharp central region at the expense of the edges.

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Though by default I often have the 12-40mm on my E-M1 and some primes, looking through my photos rather than just relying on what I 'think' is my most popular focal length, I have discovered that my 40mm would be my preferred focal length. My initial assumption was that it would have been a bit wider than that. This question is leading me to go out and about, with the 40mm prime attached to the body and see how 'well' I get on with just that!

17. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

When I was shooting street photography with black & white film, I used two prime lenses, a 28mm and a 50mm, probably 80% of my shots were taken with the 28mm. Now that I'm using a 24-85mm on a full frame camera I see that the majority of my shots are around the 35mm mark.

Alan.

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Sorry - I need two! :p A 35mm and a 50mm, both at f1.4.

So there! :D

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Certainly, but you have to swap the camera body for the second lens...

;)

20. 0lybacker

Hi SO,
    That's my excuse for NOT getting a digital Leica M and getting rid of my reflexes. I would feel that really needed a pair of up-to-date Summiluxes to really make the most of a really good sensor. Then, as my filters would not fit, across the lens range, I would really just have to have a faster 90mm and then after that, a 24mm Elmarit f3.8 would be really, really essential to complete a 24 + 35 + 50 + 90 set! Honest! Really! :D
    Cheers, Oly