1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How regularly do you back-up your images?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Nigel_Atherton, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thought they had moved his chair to the room with the soft walls to stop that happening again?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My backup process is quite good now, and takes two forms:

Mode 1 - normal. Pictures taken, copied to computer (either big laptop or desktop, separate data drive in each case). Copied again to external HDD. Cards can now beformatted.
    Daily automated backup of everything on data drives of computers at start-up to network drive.

Mode 2 - away from base. Similar to above, except laptop has only 1 drive, network backup when back at home only, and cards not reused. So I should always have 3 copies of a pic in theory.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Nope, still a lightweight. You should see me after Absinthe! :eek:

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Monthly after weed outs.
    Also for certain folders when completed.
    All to external hard drive.

5. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Model B or the vastly inferior Model A? :D :D

6. zevenmedia

zevenmedia New Member

I tend to share a lot on social media type sites (Flickr, Facebook etc.). Obviously the files are compressed & cropped so not ideal. I don't have a regular backing-up routine, but I probably should! :S

7. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

and also risky should either site pull your account - start backing up its the only safe option and considering how cheap drives are its really a no brainier

P.S ...welcome ;o)

8. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

It's normally every 1000 at the moment !
    I must try to do it more often .

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I back up my PC whenever I run out of camera cards and need to reformat the cards. I do this as quite a large batch of cards. I have several usb2 and 3 drives which I use in sequence for backup.
    For part of my professional life I was an SA for a server serving computer aided drawings and a database. I arranged this to back up every night onto tape. For my own PC I am not quite so disciplined in my backup routine but I am still conscious of the fact that eventually every digital device will fail. The question is not if but when. Hopefully they fail at final recycling but many fail in service. Businesses have failed, photographers mostly amateur have lost thousands of pictures, and academic researchers have lost years of research because they were too trusting of these usually reliable devices.

10. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Every time I save an image it goes automatically to external hard drive...

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

When I need to i.e. when I have some new photos or have been editing some on the PC I then copy everything to an external HDD and don't reformat the card until there are copies of any images on both HDD's. I also have a lot of my work on the web either in Photobucket or FB. Believe me I learnt the hard way last year about backing everything up....

12. nickyr

nickyr Well-Known Member

Probably overkill I know but I use 3 external drives:

one is set up to back up hourly via Apple time machine and is permanently connected to my iMac

the second is used to make a bootable clone of my hard drive every week via an app called "super duper"

the third is used to exclusively hold my pictures folder and is done weekly also

I keep these drives away from the computer

when I take images from a card, I make sure they are present on my computer and then delete them from the card after time machine has worked its magic

anyone not taking regular back ups really needs to look at their workflow

13. grove39

grove39 Well-Known Member

Ever since i nearly lost everything to a HDD failing i now upload all my pics to Googledrive as soon as they are on my PC.

Scares the hell out of me just thinking i could lose years and years of photos in a second.

14. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

I work in IT, I have severe anal paranoia about backups!

1) One primary copy on the working hard disk in my machine, that holds the RAW and PSD images, and the Lightroom catalogs.

2) There is a second mirrored copy that's kept in sync with the primary hard disk.

3) The RAW images are sent off to an internet based cloud service ( Amazon Glacier ) for very, very long term secure storage. Costs about 0.1p per gigabyte of files forever.

4) There are two separate network attached storage devices in the spare room, each one has 8TB of space, using multiple disk layouts for redundancy in case a HD goes down nothing gets lost, each box has a separate copy of the primary hard drive first mentioned at the start!

5) Finally once a month I backup the primary hard drive to a portable USB hard drive and give it to my Father for safe keeping at his house!

So I have 6 copies of the RAWs in various places and 5 copies of all my processed images and Lightroom catalogs!

I have spent hundreds of hours getting my shots I do not trust a single piece of metal and magnets to look after them. HDs do go wrong, just as day follows night your hard drives WILL GO WRONG at some point! I will lay money on it!

On top of my own photo work my wife has a collection of family images in digital format that stretches back to 1880's when my ancestor was a landscape shooter. She has 3 copies of everything on separate hard drives, each copy has around 45,000 images at around 300GB.

I once lost 2 years worth of images and our entire family archive of images through a stupid mistake when rebuilding a PC that had a single copy of the images. I learned a very, very valuable lesson that day...how bloody patient my wife can be with a dingbat of a husband like me! Ha ha!

15. Jedikubo

Jedikubo New Member

I use xcopy and cloudbacko to backup them in daily & weekly basis at night. The strategy between xcopy and cloudbacko is different. xcopy sync all files from my laptop to my portable drive once a week while cloudbacko does it in daily basis. Coz xcopy will copy everything to another disk and so once a week should be enough while cloudbacko is only copying changes, so will be faster and once a day will be good enough

16. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Normally 4 copies of everything plus an irregular safety copy.

Currently down to 2 copies plus a somewhat more regular safety copy, due to the chaos of moving house.

:D

17. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

once a month
    I take a lot of fotos most of which are really useless but still keepem-

I open a folder every month named (month/year) like now its June 2015 and all photos are put into it and at the end of the month it goes into my nas server where they will be safe for ever.
    It has a 2 disc mirroring system so if one disc ****s up the images are still on the other disc safe and sound, and as soon as you replace the ****ed up disk the photos will be copied onto the new disc too.

18. Jedikubo

Jedikubo New Member

You should try my methods instead of keep mirroring thru different disk. This is diskssss consuming. I use xcopy and cloudbacko to backup them in daily & weekly basis at night. The strategy between xcopy and cloudbacko is different. xcopy sync all files from my laptop to my portable drive once a week while cloudbacko does it in daily basis. In this case, I mostly just bring some sd cards with me while travel. Once I am backup, I will plug them to laptop and backup directly. This is ideal to me coz the weight of sd card is minor.

Thru these backup methods, you could reuse diskspaces instead of keep adding new disks.

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In principle Cloud backup, where you devolve responsibility for maintaining the integrity of the stored data to a third party, should be the best option but you have two vulnerabilitiies- the business might fold - the pricing basis may change.although internet speeds are now very fast it is a major task to transfer substantial amounts of data across a WAN so once you start to have terabytes of remotely hosted data you are locked in to some extent. At work data storage has been out-sourced and we get warnings of dire cost penalties once "personal data storage" on network drives (= my documents + some non-cached space) exceeds 1.5 GB (my mail alone is more than that per year). At home my photos (I take few compared to some) are now about 260 GB so getting on for nearly 200 times what an enterprise considers "a lot" of individual data for cloud services to support on a commercial basis.

20. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Absolutely not!

More importantly, you have no idea how the particular service you're using is implementing its own data security.

When you've kicked around the IT business for too long, you become deeply cynical about other people handling your data. Things go horribly wrong in the best run organisations and a lot of these get-rich-quick johnies take far too many risks with their customers' data.

Only a foolishly naive person would entrust the backup of something they consider important to a nebulous concept like the cloud, which could be Google's billion servers or some bloke in a back room with a PC.