1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How often do you use your smartphone for photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I don't have a phone camera.

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I voted for 'some of the time' but perhaps it would have been more accurate of me to add "but only as a last resort". I usually have a DSLR with me and it's a very rare circumstance for me to reach for my phone instead of that.

Cheers, Jeff

RogerMac likes this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Where is the option for "Occasionally" ?

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Or 'Once in a blue moon'?

RogerMac likes this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

For photography? Never. For taking snaps, regularly, but nothing I would call photography.

P_Stoddart and peterba like this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I use it all the time to take photographs of things I want to add to shopping lists, tell someone about, or remind myself of at a later dates. I also often use it to document what I'm doing on a project as part of my primary research. I never use it for 'photography'.

peterba likes this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Last time I used mine was about a couple of hours ago trying to get a picture of a jay, other than that when I'm not carrying.....
    A camera that is.:)

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Never, wouldn't know how. Utterly bemused by people walking around with ipads as cameras, looks ridiculous.

Geren, peterba, GeoffR and 1 other person like this.
  10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Rarely for anything more important than a snap of the dogs whilst out on a walk without a better camera.

Tried shooting a Buzzard on mine the other day but I'm sure we can all imagine how well that went!:D

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you're carrying your iPad and see a picture it's pretty sensible to use what's in your hand. Just like using a 10x8 camera only the image is right way up and you don't need a cloth.

Digitalmemories likes this.
  12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And the quality is terrible, and you don't use a tripod, and there aren't any movements, and and and...

Don't get me wrong, any camera is better than no camera, but it's more than extremely generous to allow that the similarities between using a tablet and a large format camera are more than barely comparable - the onĺy operational similarity is the size of screen.

Craig20264, Geren and Roger Hicks like this.
  13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I don't think it's like any 10x8 I'd want....no bellows to bend. Shooting on a phone or tablet usually lacks involvement never mind quality.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Which for a lot of people will be a benefit.

15. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Wimps, with your miniature 8x10 inch formats! What's wrong with 12x15 inch?

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Far to often, I have a reasonably good camera on my phone and it makes it easy to justify.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

What's a smartphone...;):D

Trannifan likes this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is a professional wedding photographer, when he is out walking his dog he produces some amazing images with his phone. I suspect it is rather more convenient than his EOS 5Ds

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

What's the difference between a smartphone and a smart ass....
    You can adjust the tone on a smartphone.

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you are moderately deaf like me there is no tone on an iphone that can render the alarm clock functional.

So I'd agree that you can adjust the tone but dispute the benefit.

Actually I can't hear it ring either ( despite wearing aids). Fortunately I'm good at hearing my wife shout so I can catch up on who's call I missed. Smart ? Not really.