1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How much photographic gear do you tend to pack for a summer holiday?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jun 13, 2017.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It does seem to be dig up a poll day! I'll stick with my previous answer!
    Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

For a two-week holiday in the Western Highlands in 1996, I packed -

Praktica MTL50 loaded only with colour transparency film with M42 28mm, 35mm and 75-150mm zoom lens plus a 2x teleconverter.

Praktica B100 loaded with colour print film. Kitted with a 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lens. Also a bayonet/M42 adapter to accommodate the above 75-150mm lens.

Zenit E SLR. Loaded with Ilford b&w film. Lenses 50mm and 135mm.

Lubitel 166B medium format camera, loaded with either B&W or Kodak transparency film.

Kodak 35mm compact camera. Loaded with 35mm colour print film. Just for quick grab shots.

Plus a variety of filters - polarizers, 25a red, colour correction, grey grad. Tobacco filter dumped in nearest bin. Tripod and cable releases.

Two flash guns - one with a tilt head. Two slave units and batteries. One off-camera flash bracket and two hot shoe adapters.

An assortment of three dozen films.

And a film leader retriever gadget.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't do summer holidays any more, but during the years 1995-2009 I was able to go to Tuscany every April/May or October and managed to fit the following into a very small (and cheap) Jessops camera bag that travelled inside my hand luggage:

Pentax MX film body
    Pentax 50mm
    Vivitar 19mm
    Tamron 28-200 'Adaptall'
    Polarising filter
    Small soft brush
    Hand-held exposure meter (very useful inside buildings for incident light readings)
    5 rolls of Kodachrome 200 ASA 36 exposure (out of boxes but in plastic containers)

I suspect that today, even with with a tiny body like the full frame Sony ones, it would be impossible to get the body and similar lenses in the same bag. Currently, I have a Pentax K5 half-frame body (APS-C), and may take 3 or 4 lenses with me because I will be travelling by car in the UK, but only take one lens when on foot. Which lens is selected depends on where I am going, with the Tamron 18-250 as a default if undecided. Optically it's not the best lens I own, but it is very compact for what it does.
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Stuff I take but never seem to use on holiday....

At least 2 flashguns.
    At least 2 macro lenses.
    A 24mm, filters and holder

Might as well just take the 70-200 on the 7D and a compact but I'll probably chicken out and fill the bag again this year..... And then have to carry a heavy bag everywhere as I won't want to leave it:oops:
  5. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Member

Usually take a lot of gear on holidays (hill walking usually). Leica iiif, Leica iiig, 50mm Summicron, 50mm Summitar, 90mm Elmar, 35mm Summaron. Nikon F3, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 35-105 Nikkor zoom, Sekonic Spotmeter, Novoflex cf tripod with Magic Ball head. Range of filters (nd grad, polarising, warm-up)
    Lots of film - Velvia 50 and Agfa Precisa 100.
  6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Far too much!