1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How much photographic gear do you tend to pack for a summer holiday?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jun 13, 2017.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It does seem to be dig up a poll day! I'll stick with my previous answer!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

For a two-week holiday in the Western Highlands in 1996, I packed -

Praktica MTL50 loaded only with colour transparency film with M42 28mm, 35mm and 75-150mm zoom lens plus a 2x teleconverter.

Praktica B100 loaded with colour print film. Kitted with a 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lens. Also a bayonet/M42 adapter to accommodate the above 75-150mm lens.

Zenit E SLR. Loaded with Ilford b&w film. Lenses 50mm and 135mm.

Lubitel 166B medium format camera, loaded with either B&W or Kodak transparency film.

Kodak 35mm compact camera. Loaded with 35mm colour print film. Just for quick grab shots.

Plus a variety of filters - polarizers, 25a red, colour correction, grey grad. Tobacco filter dumped in nearest bin. Tripod and cable releases.

Two flash guns - one with a tilt head. Two slave units and batteries. One off-camera flash bracket and two hot shoe adapters.

An assortment of three dozen films.

And a film leader retriever gadget.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't do summer holidays any more, but during the years 1995-2009 I was able to go to Tuscany every April/May or October and managed to fit the following into a very small (and cheap) Jessops camera bag that travelled inside my hand luggage:

Pentax MX film body
    Pentax 50mm
    Vivitar 19mm
    Tamron 28-200 'Adaptall'
    Polarising filter
    Small soft brush
    Hand-held exposure meter (very useful inside buildings for incident light readings)
    5 rolls of Kodachrome 200 ASA 36 exposure (out of boxes but in plastic containers)

I suspect that today, even with with a tiny body like the full frame Sony ones, it would be impossible to get the body and similar lenses in the same bag. Currently, I have a Pentax K5 half-frame body (APS-C), and may take 3 or 4 lenses with me because I will be travelling by car in the UK, but only take one lens when on foot. Which lens is selected depends on where I am going, with the Tamron 18-250 as a default if undecided. Optically it's not the best lens I own, but it is very compact for what it does.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Stuff I take but never seem to use on holiday....

Tripod.
    At least 2 flashguns.
    At least 2 macro lenses.
    A 24mm, filters and holder

Might as well just take the 70-200 on the 7D and a compact but I'll probably chicken out and fill the bag again this year..... And then have to carry a heavy bag everywhere as I won't want to leave it:oops:

5. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Active Member

Usually take a lot of gear on holidays (hill walking usually). Leica iiif, Leica iiig, 50mm Summicron, 50mm Summitar, 90mm Elmar, 35mm Summaron. Nikon F3, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 35-105 Nikkor zoom, Sekonic Spotmeter, Novoflex cf tripod with Magic Ball head. Range of filters (nd grad, polarising, warm-up)
    Lots of film - Velvia 50 and Agfa Precisa 100.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Far too much!

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Lowepro Nova 180 AW II containing:

FF DSLR with VG
    24-70mm f:2.8
    50mm f:1.4
    17-35mm f:2.8-4.0
    75-300 f4.5-5.6
    Sekonic spotmeter
    Mini flash
    Set of dioptre close-up lenses

Much more interesting thread than home printing! :p:D

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Today seems to be resurrect a zombie day. :D

It varies according to what I currently want to play with. At the moment it's likely to be the Panasonic G9/100-400mm + Sony A65/16-300mm because that covers the most opportunities.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Nah - I just bored with seeing the bloody printing thread at the top all the time.

Variety is the spice of life. (My missus disagrees with this :D).

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I know I'll take my 24mm and 70-200 but I don't where this year.... Had thought of just telling the bairn we are going back up to the beaches in Sutherland and then getting ferries to Shetland. Will take macro gear as not use it....seems to be a holiday tradition for me.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Depends. If just going for a holiday it will be the Pen-F plus a 17mm prime ,just in case. If targeted probably a FF plus the 16-35mm.If medium targeted probably a FF plus the 24-105mm

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Last overseas trip was a D4 and 24-70 f2.8 and a couple of spare batteries. Last UK trip two D3, D4 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 70-200 f2.8 TC17, SB900 and mixed spare batteries. In both cases a 13" MacBook Pro.