1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How much photographic gear do you tend to pack for a summer holiday?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Depends.....
    Last year I'd just had a hernia op so it was a minimal amount, other years as much as possible

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Very much destination dependant. Caravanning in this country, all of it. Flying abroad, one small bag, Joby gorillapod, one camera and an 18-105 zoom, unless of course it's a dedicated photographic holiday (not managed it yet!), then it would all go.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It would very much depend if it were a Family holiday or a Photographic holiday or safari.
    It is nice to make a record of happy times on holiday, and a Phone would suit many of the shots people take.
    Other people like myself would be happier using a quality Compact, like something from the Fuji X range.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Only what would fit into a small bag. In my case that's three bodies and three lenses. Them there GM5s are tiny! :D

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I don't do summer holidays and for once with these polls there was a relevant option! :)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A lot depends on the definition of "summer holidays" the days when it meant a seaside beach holiday are long gone and many people of my age take several trips a year not necessarily in the summer Anyway I voted for one camera plus one or two lenses which is probably the median value

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What I take is 6D and 4 zooms, M3 and 5 lenses, Lensbaby, tripod, one flash, action camera and sometimes a compact. It all fits - just - in one bag. What I carry at any given time is a subset of that, and carried in a much smaller bag.

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I voted for a camera, 3-4 lenses and tripod, though I've recently tried cutting down. When I went to La Palma last year it was just a Fuji X-T1, kit 18-55 and my 90 f/2 Summicron R with adaptor.

This year I may stump up for a tracking camera mount, and add my ZWO ASI1600, narrow-band filters and the 180 f/3.4 Apo-Telyte-R in addition to my normal kit.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, I don't do summer holidays, but I do go places to take pictures, which for me is much the same thing, and a lot depends on how I'm travelling. Usually a couple of bodies, one as back-up, and 3-5 lenses. And a tripod.

When I go to Arles next month, I'll still take two bodies, but I might only take a couple of lenses, and no tripod (unless I leave an old one in the back of the car). I'll be there mainly to look at pictures, after all, rather than shooting them. But having only one camera body makes me nervous.

I think the most I've ever taken on a trip (photographing American Civil War battlefields for a book) was a couple of Leicas, a couple of Nikon SLRs, and 6-8 lenses from 14mm to 400mm. And tripods, of course, table-top and full size.

Cheers,

R.

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I can't afford Summer holidays now but, when I used to go on them, I took two bodies ( colour and b&w), a tripod, two or three lenses and a good supply of slide film. Perhaps a b&w film if the one in a camera was almost fully exposed.

Lynn

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well it all depends doesn't it. There is no way I'll take everything I own on holiday and I have a CSC "travel pack" but if I intend anything other than snaps I'll take a SLR and appropriate lenses also.

13. secretpost

secretpost Member

I usually bring my GoPro camera along side with DSLR cam for quality pictures.

14. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Similar for me. GoPro Hero 4 plus floating selfie stick, Fuji body plus one prime and one zoom.

But choosing which prime and which zoom can take longer than packing my clothes!

I've been known to nip back to the house just after leaving for the airport, not for a forgotten passport or tickets, but to swap a lens, as I've changed my mind on which 2 I 'need'.

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Me, too.

Liam, why no option for 'It depends on the type of holiday and location' ?

16. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

It depends on the Holiday, the last couple of times off for a week with the family, it's been the tripod & my smaller bag (2 mirrorless cameras, 4 or 5 lenses, filters, a flash & cable). If not going with the family the big bag with a slightly bigger DSLR kit may be brought, probably with the IR camera fitted in somehow, or if flying I may restrict cameras to what can fit in my pockets (still quite a bit if I'm wearing the right jacket).

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It depends on where we are going, which airline/s we are using and the expected subject matter.
    If the airline with the lowest hand baggage limit is 12Kg or one bag then camera body, two lenses, spare batteries, card reader and a computer.
    If the airline is more generous, two bodies, three lenses and a 1.7x converter, flash, various spares, cleaning kit, spare batteries, card reader and a computer.
    The battery charger goes in checked baggage.