1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How many photography exhibitions do you go to each year?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - How many photography exhibitions do you go to each ye

Or the need to?
    You say you don't go to exhibitions. Fine. End of story, unless you want to tell us how you do pursue your hobby and get enjoyment out of photography - including other people's? Or perhaps you don't get pleasure out of that aspect at all?

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Some people feel qualified to comment on everything, regardless of a complete lack of knowledge of the subject in question.

Of course, we all get drawn in over our heads sometimes. Sometimes we make comments we regret. Other times, we think, "No, I was right."

The point is that some of us do sometimes know what we're talking about, and we even take pictures and exhibit them. A few minutes ago Frances and I got a 'phone call asking if we could do an exhibition starting on Mayday at the local tourist office. It'll be a bit of a scramble, and even if we leave it up all month it will be seen only by a few hundred people. A thousand would be really good. So? It's a few hundred people who will see real prints in quite a pleasant setting in a very pretty village.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That's really nice Roger - and good luck getting it all prepared. I've got three pictures showing at the local Arts Centre at the moment as part of an Island-wide exhibition. Once that's over, there will be something else taking its place, so there's always something new to see. I do miss a 'proper' Gallery but the Arts Centre does manage to get touring exhibitions at times and that is such a pleasure.

Hey Eric!
    Maybe your Club or the female exhibitors you were talking about would like to offer a show here? An Lanntair would be interested, I'm sure!

Kate

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

So, I take it the truce has broken.

Never mind, you can discuss it with my legal representative...

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

Thanks! And congratulations on the Arts Centre. Perhaps we should try twinning Moncontour and the Island!

This is something I feel REALLY strongly about: that "the arts" have to exist at grass-roots level as well as being parachuted in by The Great And The Good. My first ever exhibition was at Plymouth Arts Centre almost 40 years ago. The idea that "there's always something new to see" is fundamental. Yes, if you have a big enough choice, you can prioritize what you go to see and what you don't -- but with a limited catchment area, it's great to see whatever you can, whenever you can.

Next week I hope to visit an exhibition in Niort 77 km (just under 50 miles) away. Will it be good? Dunno. The posters are good. And the weather looks good so we may take the motorcycle on Tuesday. It's worth the time, the risk and the expense of 10 litres of petrol. Many people on this forum are retired or semi-retired. Yes, some may be unable to afford the price of the fuel, or may be incapacitated in one way or another. But if they can afford the time and money, and aren't too crippled to do it -- well, as you and I agree, if they can't be bothered, how much do they really care about photography?

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. skyblue

skyblue Member

I'm fortunate to live in the Leeds/Bradford area.

We have photography exhibitions in the centre of Bradford at the National Media Museum and Impression Gallery.

Leeds has a photography gallery (The White Cloth Gallery)and there are also photography exhibitions at The Gallery at Munro House. At the moment there is a large outdoor photography exhibition outside Leeds Art Gallery.

Nearby Halifax also has a photography gallery.

So I see many photography exhibitions. That's not including the various camera club exhibitions.

I also have an exhibition of 47pictures at the moment in the centre of Bradford.

7. art

art Well-Known Member

Regarding the decline of public libraries, I'd suggest that the demise of the price-fixing Net Book Agreement played quite a large part. In my youth I was a prolific user of public libraries but as books became more affordable I chose to buy them instead. The advent of the web made book buying even easier and more convenient, so I have continued my habit to this day and have yet to succumb to a Kindle or other form of eBook reader.

But whatever choices we make, surely the thing to celebrate is that we are able to make such choices rather than blather on about how some choices are superior to others?

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

You might say so, I couldn't possibly comment...

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's OK to resurrect this thread but I want to say I have just been to the Edinburgh International photo exhibition and enjoyed it very much.

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

It's great to resurrect it. People need to be reminded how important exhibitions are, if you can possibly get to them.

Cheers,

R.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Went to a local one in Split, Croatia the other week - the local camera club exhibition. Some utter rubbish, both of the incompetent and pretentious tripe variety, but also some very interesting stuff - IMHO, of course.

12. RogerMac

Roger

This is August in Edinburgh and I have only just arrived - I hope to get several more photo exhibitions, some good music, some bad jokes plus quite a lot else before I leave. Not to mention some photography on my own account!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Care to estimate ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Visiting art galleries in general, and photography exhibitions in particular is one of my 'simple pleasures' and I'm incredibly lucky to be studying at Glasgow School of Art which means that there is almost always something going on in those categories. If I'm ever at a loose end (which isn't often) I will make my way to Street Level in Glasgow which is dedicated to photography, and my other favourite haunt is GOMA in Glasgow, but I make a point of seeking out an exhibition of some sort wherever I find myself. I often like them for the people-watching experience as much as for whatever's on display. I would say that in term time, exhibitions of some sort are a weekly occurrence, and I have exhibited, in some form, two or three times a year.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Given she's a now-banned spammer, I think not... ;)

16. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Good luck! Hope you survive (Festival, and all that) but seriously, glad you enjoyed the EI. I keep intending to submit to that, must get around to doing more Opens. Cheers, Oly

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Echo that, Roger. Cheers, Oly

18. RogerMac

Thanks, but I am sure I will survive. I am sharing a flat, near the center, with my two sisters and our spouses, and even if we do three or four gigs a day it counts as a rest against the heavy duty baby sitting we all have been doing for the first part of the school holidays

19. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I only got one into it this year. The EI (sensibly) only accepts 202 prints because that is all it has space to hang. This year that meant an acceptance rate of around 8%.

Eric

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

If anybody is in London over the next few weeks there is a Shirley Baker exhibitions at the Photographers gallery that I thought was brilliant. If your in the area up until Saturday the TPOTY is on at the Royal Geographic. Some quite good, many very good and quite a lot absolutely excellent images.