1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How many photography exhibitions do you go to each year?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Vote on this week's poll http://apmag.co/m4p7pc - How many photography exhibitions do you go to each year?

[​IMG]

2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - How many photography exhibitions do you go to each ye

It's hard to say........It all depends upon whether there is a photo exhibition taking place, where and how accessible (opening times, public transport etc.) it is, what, or who, it's about and lastly, is it only photography or is the photography only part of a wider ranging art exhibition.

Does looking at what's on offer in LUMAS count, bearing in mind that a lot of the photos there are actually photos of paintings and sculptures?

Last year I visited perhaps three purely photo exhibitions- one with Ed Burtynsky and two small local ones. Add to that perhaps seven or eight exhibitions in local arts societies where photographers were among the participants or the artists concerned used photography in addition to painting, sculpture or whatever.

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I see I am with the majority so far; living out in the sticks, in deepest Somerset, we get very few local exhibitions, unless the local camera clubs put one on; nearest is probably Bath or Bristol, then I probably would not travel there especially for an exhibition. I did see a Don McCullin one in Bath a few years ago, but haven't been to one since.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I agree that that is a real limitation, Roy. Tough for those away from an urban or city area. But what about online? Some galleries are really good and put up whole past exhibits. Others do tasters (perhaps to save server space) while some are a bit mean: 'You missed it? Tough.'

Some gallery web-sites are now providing 'educational opportunities' linked to a hosted exhibit, a good example being links attached to the RIBA site following the excellent Edwin Smith show. Tate Modern had me watching (& enjoying!) Klein & Moriyama film shorts recently, a year after the joint exhibit and at an hour way past Tate's closing time! ;)

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not enough probably...;)

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

It depends.

I don't make specific plans to go to an exhibition, but if I'm out somewhere where there's an exhibition on, and I've got time, I'll generally wander in for a looksee. This seems to happen about once or twice a year.

A few years ago, I found myself near Bear Flat, Bath, with half an hour to kill, on several occasions, so I wandered in to the RPS.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Frances and I go to 100+ at Arles alone (1500+ miles for the round trip each July). Then probably another 5-50 elsewhere, depending on what else comes up and whether we get to Paris, Lyon, etc.

Online "exhibitions" are the very poorest of substitutes for the real thing. The best you can say of them is that they are better than nothing.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

None.

I like seeing pictures in context: online, in books, magazines or on adverts. When it comes to exhibitions, I much prefer kittens...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As many as I can.

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Haha! You are not allowed to answer this. ;)

How's it going these days?

Kate

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Why not!?! :rolleyes:

We've some cracking stuff coming up here in Edinburgh, really looking forward to the summer season.

http://stills.org/exhibition/future
    https://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/on-now-coming-soon/ponte-city/
    https://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/on-now-coming-soon/lee-miller-and-picasso/
    https://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/on-now-coming-soon/baileys-stardust/

12. Catriona

That was what I meant!! I'm just jealous. :)

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We're not that far away...

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

They're a pig to hang on the wall though! ;)

15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

In my whole life, I have been to three. Only one of which was intentionally travelled to on my own volition, the other two were visits on courses I took.

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Among others I always go to the Edinburgh one in August - sounds as though it is going to be a very good one this year

17. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

1. Place hook on wall
    2. Hang mouse on hook
    3. Attach kitten to mouse

Or just drop kitten on soft object - works with most of them...

:D :D

[​IMG]

18. RonClark

RonClark Well-Known Member

iI've been to good few, but they have all been outdoors and I came across while out and about. I never gone out with the intenion of seeing one.

Ron

19. Catriona

I go to every exhibition on offer at the local Arts Centre in Stornoway. When in Glasgow or Edinburgh - or even Inverness, I seek out exhibitions. I remember seeing that fabulous one of China, by John Thompson, when down in Glasgow once. Fabulous. Glasgow is my favourite local place (sorry Zou!) just because I feel so comfortable strolling around.

I can't really understand people not wanting to go to see any art exhibition - and to say they are photographers. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Kate

20. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

When I was a member of a camera club I would go to as many as 15 a year, now I am not a member I dont go to any at all unless I have an acceptance anywhere, which is not very often, as I have got older I am afraid my enthusiasm is not as strong as it used to be. I still love going out and taking pictures and I am still a member of the RPS, but when most of the local exhibitions take place I am usually away on vacation.....