1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - How important is autofocus (please leave your comments)

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

tracking with moving subjects to you?

Vote http://apmag.co/9fnA2d on this week's poll - How important is autofocus tracking with moving subjects to you?

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - How important is autofocus (please leave your comment

Importantish...

I don't do a huge amount of moving subject photography but when I do it's nice to have. That said my cameras are all rather elderly by digibox standards and the AF, particularly the tracking, tends to be a bit slow, quirky and prone to go off focus at decisively the wrong moment...:mad: They are also definitely more reliable with subjects moving parallel to the camera, the more parallel the better - subjects moving toward the camera produce a lot more misses...

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

What El-sid said.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

What Sejanus.Aelianus said El-Sid said.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

With today's bright screens without focussing aids, I would say close to essential.
    With a proper screen which used to be standard it doesn't matter.
    For quick shooting AF is better than MF. If I thought otherwise then I would use a Leica with its old fashioned rangefinder.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Another poll that I can't answer!
    My response would be "Not at all important, I pan and auto focus each shot"

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

:confused:

Learning, I find manual focusing on a contemporary plain, fine screen with dioptric eye-sight correction a breeze compared to trying to use an old dim, coarse screen with diagonal rangefinder & microprism, even with a rubber eyecup fitted with a dioptric correction lens. I do use AF but try to keep an eye on what it's doing - no pun intended. It may become increasingly important to me.

The original question, less than beautifully phrased by Chrissie, was about A/F tracking which may have put you off track a bit < Pun definitely intended.

(Bluebottle voice) "Thinks - wait for applause, get ready to bow. Eeeuugghhh. Not a sossinge! All right, I'll go home then. I do not like this game, I don't."

Cheers, Oly

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not at all. If I use AF it is for snaps where I want maximum depth of field. Otherwise I use MF mostly.