1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you used an electronic viewfinder in the past year..

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

.. and what did you think of it?

This week we ask - Have you used an electronic viewfinder in the past year and what did you think of it?

[​IMG]

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - Have you used an electronic viewfinder in the past ye

Yes, different, but no problem. I liked they way I could get all the info and a preview of the proposed shot would look or switch that all off to just have an unencumbered plain screen. In manual mode the highlighting of in-focus areas is quite good.

I'm past my three score and ten but gotta move with the times. :)

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Yes, I've used an electronic viewfinder in the past year.

I like the 'live view' facility and find it useful when composing landscape shots.

On the down-side, I tried using my Fuji X-T1 with its EVF for sports photography and couldn't be doing with it at all!

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

RX100mkIII, and it was pretty decent.

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

No, but only because none of my cameras has one. That may change as I'm planning on buying a Fuji X-T1

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I like the Olympus VF-1 and the built in one in my Panasonic G2. The one in the Panasonic GM5 is a bit squinty but it does the job.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Having gone for a Fuji X-E2 swayed in part by the "best ever ELV" AP review of the same I am waiting for next week's firmware update that is supposed to make the ELV "more natural". I really don't like the view compared to an optical finder on a full sized DSLR. The only "good thing" is the horizon level which blocks out a substantial part of the scene. For action it is awful. A standard evaluation test should be "child on a swing" (if you can find a child) which I reckon is one of the hardest shots to take straight on (motor drive not allowed).

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

RX100M3 is just about ok. I wear spectacles and can only just see the image area. In bright conditions when the EVF is most needed it is not bright enough due to light getting between my glasses and my eye. Optical finders automatically and intrinsically deal with bright conditions.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't use glasses but I have had just as much issue with OVFs - if they don't have a proper eye-cup then harsh side light means I can see sweet FA through the finder. So I reckon it is more about good design and bad design, rather than an intrinsic property of OVFs/EVFs.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Evf's have reached the stage that for most uses they are the obvious choice. The one on my Fuji X30 is as good as I need, and in many respects better than the reflex finder on my old Olympus Om1which was considered very much the gold standard.
    There are still residual problems when shooting high speed action, but that is not one of my interests.
    They have reached the "good enough" stage that "Digital" did with the advent of the canon 40D and Nikon D300.

11. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

My camera of choice is a Sony NEX 6 with EVF. It can provide an almost 10x magnified view of the image and is excellent for manual focus. The viewfinder also incorporates an optional double axis level indicator which I find very useful.

Having reached the stage where I need reading glasses I am able to dial in sufficient viewfinder dioptre correction to enable me to use the camera without specs. I therefore use the viewfinder, rather than the screen, for all camera adjustments and for assessing exposed images.

Using a conventional DSLR I have to continually swap between eyesight and glasses, which is a complete pain.

EVF rules OK.

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Yes, the ones on my Olly E-M1 and X-Pro1 ... but with the latter, and I had fun and games tracking down a suitable circular eyesight correction lens because dealers rarely stock them these days. I often wonder how many customers didn't buy this camera, just because dealers didn't have these lenses when demonstrating it? The X-Pro2 has eyesight correction built into it, so on those models, this won't be an issue.

13. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

I have yet to see a good comparison of "Dark Time" for OVFs & EVFs

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Nor have I. However I have no evidence that long exposures are suffering on these cameras either.

15. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

Yes, I used one but only because I was shooting in very bright sunlight, otherwise I prefer the screen. This may change as my eyesight gets worse at close range, but for now I find a fully articulated screen much more useful to me than a viewfinder.

16. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

A fuji XE-2, nothing to complain of, gives you real time data with a bit of a lag at night yes but still very good...

17. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Hi,
    I have five cameras with viewfinders, one optical and four EVFs. I much prefer the EVF, but they're hard to find, unless you're willing lay out the big bucks, or settle for something old. I find that LCDs are often hard to see in bright sunlight, and hard to keep steady, as I have to hold them at least a foot from my eyes, in order to have the screen in focus.Having said that, I have to admit that the camera I carry around with me, for casual shooting, does not have a viewfinder, because the ones with EVFs are large and cumbersome.
    .....john