1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever tried shooting wildlife in your garden?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Vote on this week's poll - Have you ever tried shooting wildlife in your garden?

[​IMG]

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes; we get a lot of birds.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Always with a camera...

EightBitTony and RogerMac like this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes.

When we got some foxes I did strengthen our fences to try to keep them out - I think successfully.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Don't actually have a garden as such, just patches of grass and the odd flower-bed round the car-park. Plenty of trees surrounding us.

So, lots of birds, insects, invertebrates and so on. And the odd grey squirrel...

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

In the interests of honesty I must admit that I voted for 'no, I don't have a garden' because, as my vote suggests, I don't have one.

I like the way that AP tried to anticipate all the smart-arse comments on the forum that usually happen when the voting options don't cover all eventualities and managed to completely miss the ramifications of asking us whether we shoot wildlife.

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona likes this.
  7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes, but not with a camera. Stone built traditional house - when building it, the builders always left shallow holes in the walls to take scaffolding timber for future expansion. The pigeons nest in the holes. The snakes come to eat the pigeon eggs - and they can have a fatal bite. We lost a dog that way last year. So I got a gun licence, and the rest is history - well, the pigeons are, anyway. With our collection of dogs, cats and guns the chances of any miscellaneous wildlife visiting are slim to nil.

8. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I use the camera to shoot snails, as part of my scientific research.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I have discovered and learned much from shooting wildlife in my garden. Never had a new species in my garden but have some new to the UK species and furthest north records of of some too.

My favourite is probably still the spiky harvestman by my front door step in early summer. Really common but looks like something from another planet :cool:

10. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I.m lucky with a Snowdnian river flowing thru the border, attracting all sorts of wildlife, just wish I had a longer micro lens:rolleyes:

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The only time I have ever seen a Sparrow Hawk was in my back garden one Sunday morning. There was a D2x with a 300mm lens on the table so I took a photograph through the window. There was a Woodpecker on Monday but I wasn't quick enough.

12. Fishboy

You want to be careful if you find a woodpecker on your table - they can peck their way through one of the legs in a matter of seconds and before you know it your table's developed a severe list to starboard and there's Alphabetti Spaghetti all over the curtains and everything!

Cheers, Jeff

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Our woodpeckers are suitably distracted by the fat balls to not even think about such exercises. Just as well - the supports are all metal. ;)

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

T'was in a tree Jeff. Also I don't generally used tinned "food" beyond the occasional baked beanz; I think my table is safe enough.

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

No, but last night I spotted a badger at our back door. Unfortunately it spooked and ran off before I could get a closer look.

16. Fishboy

That's a relief!

Sadly, because my nearest shop is a three mile round trip away and I don't drive I have to rely to an extent on a supply of tinned, packaged and frozen goods. I'd love to have a ready supply of fresh veg but there's no practical way to get hold of them.

I do recall one of my Tesco airdrops when the delivery bloke was looking at my order and said "there's only one substitution - they didn't have any frozen hash browns so they've sent you frozen dinosaur-shaped potato bites instead...well, you won't be wanting those, will you?" I very quickly disabused him of that notion and relieved him of them sharpish.

I may be getting old, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm getting mature!

Cheers, Jeff

17. martin willmott

martin willmott Well-Known Member

yes whilst shouting "Get off my land!"

18. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

The usual range of birds and an occasional muntjac