1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever sold any of images on a stock...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

...photography site?

Vote http://apmag.co/r512KI on this week's poll - Have you ever sold any of images on a stock photography site?

[​IMG]

2. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

No, although I have sold images through other means.

I had a few dozen on a site which has now closed down a few years back and haven't pursued it since. It's probably down to the type of images I enjoy taking, which are probably not that best suited to stock photo sites, such as this one which I did have available and also not having thousands uploaded. Seems to be a numbers game as much as anything else.

[​IMG]

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

OK. I have to be careful here.

I think I may be on record somewhere on this forum as having said (probably under the influence of a glass or two of Bunnahabhain) that I don't like the idea of photographers prostituting their art in the pursuit of filthy lucre.

But I did send some to Alamy a few years ago. A few sold but it was not until they reduced their "threshold level" for payments to under $150 that I actually received any of that filthy lucre.

But that is really all a bit hypocritical. In the period 1965 - 1990 I paid for my expensive hobbies by writing about them in magazines and publishing books about them. In those days it was easier to get stuff published if one supplied one's own photographs. So, yes, I suppose I got a few £-thousands a year from freelance writing and photography. But, in those days I did not consider what I was doing as "art" - so no prostituting involved. :)

Seriously though, I think that the income to be derived today from stock photography is significantly less than those of us with the right contacts could earn as pocket money back in the period I mentioned.

I guess I had about 2000 magazine articles published - so maybe 5000 photographs.

The interesting thing is that the Internet revolution may have almost killed freelance photography, it has made book publishing much more lucrative. Books of mine that David & Charles or Stanley Paul sold in the low-thousands at a royalty of under £1 per copy, now sell on Amazon in the 10s of 1000s at royalties of £4 - £6 per copy.

It keeps the taxman happy!

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yes, I have sold images on a stock site
    No, I have images on a stock photography site, but have never made a sale
    No, I have no interest in selling my images for stock use

Strange omissions:
    o Yes, but I have given up.
    o No, but I want to & haven't chosen an agency.
    o No, I find the choice of agencies & contracts confusing.
    o No, I don't know how to do it.

Who writes the questions, Chrissie?

5. Will Mayger

Will Mayger New Member

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I've never had much success with stock photography, although I discovered a lucrative market for what herself refered to as "jumble sale pictures". In a typical week I might find seven to ten events. Depending on what or where, I might sell thirty or more shots to newspapers across the area and then pick up several dozen reprints (faces not only sell papers, they also sell prints!)

Add in weddings, functions and commercial work: I think I did all right in those days. It would be nice to think that others are doing as well now but I think the market has changed drastically and not to the benefit of the freelance...

[​IMG]

7. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Yes................................:cool:

8. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

yup I have,
    or have I?
    ok here is what I do:
    I print my photo on canvass on large format, some times in 3 piaces and sell them in markets. if that counts then yes, if it doesnt count then no...:p

For example heres my best seller, 8 times sold
    3 pieces 20 X 60cm each

[​IMG]