1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever shot water at long exposures?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

This week's question is: Do you shoot long exposure water shots? Cast your vote today.

[​IMG]

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Not yet...well I have but only briefly hand held which didn't quite work but gave me an idea of what was needed.
    Not sure that milky water works in every case

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Yes, I've taken long exposure shots of water - principally to see whether I could master the technique.

I like the effect of long exposure photography, however I'm very aware that such images are now considered to be something of a cliche so, unless I manage to achieve a spectacular result, I can't see any of them ever being subjected to the scrutiny of anybody other than myself.

Cheers, Jeff

PS - none of the possible answers were applicable.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Only once and that was at an AP masterclass, I have not used it otherwise as I normally do not carry a tripod. I must try harder.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not in the 10 stop ND sense of the concept but I have done longish exposures in low light conditions...

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No. Moving water has a liveliness thst needs to be captured. I can understand averaging out waves etc. for sea scenes but running water -no.

Wheelu likes this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes, and I'll do it again too!

I don't think there is any harm in practicing technique whether for the sake of learning or art. I've learned things from trying it and have seen others produce stunning shots so it's fine by me.

JennyTog likes this.
  8. JennyTog

JennyTog Member

Yes, with the Lee 10 stop filter and others. I really like the results :)

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

What he said!

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Now and again to assess the effect.

Lynn

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Never, the idea has never interested me.

So, no option on the list for me. Again. :(

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

No. but I would if the right subject came up.

13. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Unfortunately, there was no poll option for my position.

Yes, I have shot moving water at long exposures, but only a few times. Generally I don't particularly like the effect - it doesn't "look right" to me.

14. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Yep. I don't give a monkey's if people think they are a cliche.

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

In this context what is a long exposure?
    I have shot streams at about 1/10 to 1/30 second which only partial stops the water.
    I have also shot spray at 1/000 second which only just about stops the droplets.
    All theses shutter speeds are on the long side compared to what I might use to stop these actions completely.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes. 10 stop ND and remote control bought mostly for this purpose.

PeatSmoke and JennyTog like this.
  17. CharlieJ

CharlieJ Member

Like Terrywoodenpic I have shot streams at around 1/15 second. I find that this captures the movement of the water but retains enough definition that it still looks "natural".
    As for really long exposures... for waterfalls I don't like the effect at all because I feel it robs them of their vitality, but for the sea I like the surreal effect when a long exposure is used in conjunction with man-made structures.

Craig20264 likes this.
  18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

One of the interesting things to do - now at low cost (just time! ;)) on digital - is to run through a whole range of shutter speeds. Sometimes the camera will reveal things unseen by the eye and un-imagined by the mind.

Zou likes this.
  19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

"..things unseen by the eye and un-imagined by the mind"

Are you talking about ghosts? You are, aren't you? Ghosts!

Cheers, Jeff

20. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

Again, none of the options on the poll fit my case. I tried longer exposure than what's required to 'freeze' the movement, but I don't like the milky effect/totally averaged movement, so I only tried a shutter speed slow enough to capture the flow, but also the splashes, something like this: http://www.redbubble.com/people/themis/works/12622880-restless-at-sunset

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.