1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever set yourself a photographic project? 5 Dec

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Please will you let me have your comments on the poll question that was published in AP dated 5 December 2015 as I didn't post in the forum that week?

Thanks
    Chrissie

Poll - Have you ever set yourself a photographic Project?

Yes, I have set myself certain tasks or goals
    No, I just take photos that I want at a given time
    Yes, I consider most things I do part of an ongoing project
    I have never really considered it

2. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - Have you ever set yourself a photographic project? 5

Yes, I have set myself certain tasks or goals.

And here's one of them.....

http://www.scphoto.co.uk/pages/galleries/buildings/oldnew.html

It the before and after pictures of the Bullring shopping centre in Birmingham. Images taken as close as possible to the original. (Apologies for the slow loading)

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes. Last winter I set myself the target of 50 acceptances in International Salons. Surpassed that - but got no joy out of it. The 'learning experience' was more negative (what not to enter) than a positive one.

In another place, I completed two years of emulation projects. Modern and iconic photographers' work. The learning experience was priceless - who they were, what they did - and the real stretching power of trying to emulate their work. In this way I gained experience and a terrific admiration for certain photographers - who made it all look so effortless!

Currently when weather permits, I go around town taking what appeals to me, but trying to be more focused on the essential element I want to create an image from. It's a personal project so sometimes I miss external impetus but I'll get there.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Wow. Congratulations. There are few if any on this forum who are more serious about photography (or more hpnest about it) than you. If you possibly can (and I know it's a long way), COME TO ARLES!

Cheers,

R.

6. Catriona

Thank you Roger. I've looked at it online and am very tempted. Might see you there next year.

Kate

7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

My current project is to compile a body of work which is currently rather vaguely titled, "Residual British Influences in Former Colonies", which may become more refined as it proceeds.

It should give me plenty of opportunities to take my cameras to far-flung outposts of our erstwhile empire in search of imagery.

If it develops with sufficient quality it might (and I stress "might") provide material for a submission for a distinction in the RPS "Conceptual & Contemporary" category.

At present I have a notional 3-year time-frame for this but am only 6 months into it so far.

Eric

8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Yes, but more in the way of constructing/modifying things:

Decades ago when I had access to a Lathe, a what turned out to be a 400mm f1.8 lens using a condenser-lens from inside an enlarger! - The colour fringing and distortion was pretty 'Interesting' yet tolerable!

Devising a really small pair of QD camera strap connectors for my cameras so I can use the same strap on 3 different bodies, and them getting all tangled up together in the same bag.

Currently cobbling up a shift-only lens assembly employing a FF lens on a 4/3rds body.

9. Catriona

We set up our own project here on the AP Forum.

In the Exhibition thread we have now had two monthly themes and I've just set the third for January.

They have been very popular and there are some great shots on there.

Feel free to visit anytime - even Oliver, if he's still around, that is.

Kate