1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever set out before dawn to capture a sunrise?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

No. There are no decent sunrise or sunset locations within easy reach of where I live. It would mean a 20 mi!e round trip to the coast on the off chance of a colourful dawn. I'm clearly insufficiently well motivated to ever make a success of this game, I prefer easier targets.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Read what I wrote, not what you think I should have said. Four times IN A ROW. We wanted to shoot dawn on the Ganges. We did. It was so magical that we did it again the next day. And the next. And the one after that too. That was when we realized that we'd really got all the pictures we wanted in the first couple of days. Hence my comment.

Also, "time of day" isn't "weather". What on earth is "photographically dull" about dawn?

A good few years later we were shooting dawn at the Great Wall of China: an hour's hike before sunrise. We got some good pictures. But we really didn't need to do it again the next day, because we'd learned our lesson in Benares.

Cheers,

R.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

What, you mean a whole 10 miles to the coast? Definitely too traumatic a journey that one. :)

4. reggaethecat

reggaethecat Member

Yes, a few times. I once drove to Buttermere which was 90 miles for a sunrise shot, lucky I did get up at 5am as as soon as I got the shot the cloud came over and it was thick mist for the rest of the day. There's nothing better than being out at the crack of dawn in the middle of nowhere, on your own with no-one else in sight except occasionally another bloody photographer!

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

A mate and I frequently get up before dawn and head out for sunrise shots. Recently we drove the hundred miles to Dublin, slept in the car and got up for sunrise. Turned out to be pretty much a waste of time as he didn't get anything and I only got a couple that were passable.

6. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

The Daily Snail currently pays less than £5 for a photo, of which the photographer receives less than £2 after tax. Call me cynical if you wish, but it's not worth either A getting out of bed for or B burning the diesel.