1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever set out before dawn to capture a sunrise?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Vote on this week's poll - Have you ever set out before dawn to capture a sunrise?

[​IMG]

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

No, but I've been up very soon after in order to get pictures with the light in the right direction.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes, although "set out" is stretching it a bit. The last time I did it I looked out the window to make sure of clear sky and then walked the 100m to the cliff and photographed the recent planetary conjunction and sat on the cliff for an hour or so watching the dawn light develop across Lyme Bay.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Yes, on the 15th June 2015.

I had a day's holiday from work so I decided to get up early and photograph the sunrise over the reservoir in the hills above my house. I awoke at 3.15am, carried out my morning ablutions and set off up there with a camera, tripod, cable release and neutral density filters a-plenty. The sunrise was due to take place at 4.39am, so I was up there at 4.15am. I looked at the reservoir. I looked at the glow in the Eastern sky. I looked at the bloody great hills all around the place and thought "Ah. It's going to be at least half five before I even see the sun...what a muppet!". And I was right. Right about the sun and right about me being a muppet.

To be fair I did enjoy walking around taking pictures and some of them were quite nice. It was pleasant being up and moving while most of the other inhabitants of my village were still snoring and breaking wind in their pits.

The only bad part of the expedition was when a farmer stormed up to me shouting and waving his arms, telling me "you can't use that thing up here! I'll call the police", but he calmed down a bit when he realised that it was a tripod hooked over my arm, and not a shotgun!

When I got home I made myself a bacon butty and a brew and then decided that there was absolutely nothing wrong with repairing back to my boudoir for a few more hours of sleep - so that's what I did.

In a sad postscript to this tale, six months later, in a moment of thoughtlessness whilst transferring files from one drive to another on my computer I managed to delete all of the pictures from that morning and all I've got left of them are a couple of .JPEGs that I processed from the original .RAW files.

Cheers, Jeff

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not so far but it could happen as I seem to wake earlier and earlier these days (5:20 this morning). Unfortunately I'd have to factor a drive to a suitable venue into the timing.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The only times I capture a sunrise is in winter when it happens at sensible o'clock or on those occasion when I happened to be on my way home from a night shift.

I prefer sunsets, after all Mother nature has kindly organised those at much more civilised times...:D

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Well you'd have to wouldn't you or you'd miss it? (Scratches head:confused:)

8. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Yes, but only if sunrise was after 8 0'clock! Otherwise No.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Strictly spoken yes - but the setting out could be for the preceding evening if a very late night was made of it :)

10. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Most of the landscape shots I have worth keeping are taken before dawn or shortly thereafter. Here is one from last week, sunrise is at about 5am at the moment. Sunrise beats sunset hands down due to the clarity of the air and the magical ingredient, mist:

[​IMG]

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not so much any more but a few of the times I set out before dawn were to get sunrise shots. Most of the time I would have been after macro shots though.

In summer I'd leave home about 1am and have a few hours walking and then hopefully not too much hanging about in the cold before there would be light to work with.

Drive to somewhere? I wouldn't get up early for a shot from the side of a road either;)

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes, if you call leaving a climbing hut at 11pm and climbing Great Gable by moonlight "setting out before dawn".

13. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

A few times, mainly on holiday.

The most memorable being Caithness in March 2010. I grabbed all my gear and headed out and realised I had misplaced my Lowepro gloves, but I carried on. It was very, very cold but I got some long exposure pictures I was happy with - including one that was a multi-picture panorama showing the whole sunrise. My hands were completely numb by the time I finished an hour or so later, but as I go back into the holiday house I reached into my coat pocket to find my gloves.

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Do it four times in a row, as Frances and I once did in Benares/Varanasi, and you realize that twice in a row is either enough or a waste of time.

Cheers,

R.

15. Ffolrord

A waste of time?

16. Roger Hicks

The weather is more predictable in Benares. If you can't get it in a day or two, you've probably screwed up.

Cheers,

R.

17. Ffolrord

Sounds nice to live under but photographically dull. I prefer unpredicability and a wide variety of conditions.

18. Roger Hicks

Go to Benares and see if you still believe this.

Cheers,

R.

19. Ffolrord

I've been there. The photography is more about the people than the weather imo. And I certainly would get up early more than twice.

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have but not often enough to get what I wanted.