1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever made a print in a darkroom? 12/3

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Last week we asked - Have you ever made a print in a darkroom? Comments only please, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have no idea how many prints I have made, but it is certainly many thousands, but far more black and white than colour ones. The largest were 3 metres square.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes. I nearly said "Yes of course" but not everybody had the opportunity

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes I have. A good question would be will I ever make another? I would like to think so, but I'm not sure.

5. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Yes, but my MPP enlarger has languished under a dust sheet in the attic these past 30 years. Very doubtful if it will ever emerge again in my lifetime.

6. Terrywoodenpic

I am fairly sure That I will never print again.
    I had an MPP in the 50's a 2 1/4 square model with a 40 inch column, condensers and heat filter with helical focus.
    For a short time in the late seventies I used a MPP micromat ( very few were ever made) that could take up to 5x7 negatives but was very restriced by its rather short column structure. My favourite enlarger was a wall mounted Prefect from pelling and cross, but the best was probably a 10x8 durst.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Yes, I have done my fair share. But I agree, I don't think I will again.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

When I was very young I made a lot of contact prints (mainly 6x6) in a blacked out bathroom.

Could never afford an enlarger or the space for a proper dark-room. :(

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yes. I used to work for Ilford in Mobberley, Cheshire, in the mid 80's. I could develop my own film and do my own printing courtesy of the company. I doubt I will ever do it again,

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Hardly your fair share yet, then...

I still print a bit but Frances prints a lot more.

Cheers,

R.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Terry,

Micromatic, surely. I still have one but it needs a new bellows. Short column? Hardly. 20x16 from 35mm is surely enough for most people and the column is reversible if you need to go bigger.

Cheers,

R.

12. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I was introduced to the darkroom via a club formed at work. We converted a disused kitchen and clubbed together for a MPP universal enlarger. We had unlimited access to 400 ft rolls of Tri-X, gallon canisters of chemicals and 20x16 WSG paper. Something I miss when buying paper and ink now!

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Used to up until the 1990s. Not done any since. Loved that part of it though!

PS - I still titter as I look at the cover above. I can't get away from thinking it says Compost yourself!

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I managed to build a low shelf (for sitting at) and get my grandfather's Gnome enlarger and 3 dishes on it in the cupboard under the stairs. A kitchen chair to sit on would just fit. The max print size was 10x8 from 35 mm determined by the staircase and inability to project on the floor (feet in the way). I made the underneath of the stairs bare for the extra space (in steps). It was dark enough in winter with the hall lights off and the door shut. My youngest son (now 30) remembers sitting on my knee and the smell (so much for health and safety) which with no ventilation could get a bit much. Magic! But I have to say that compared to doing test strips and test prints and playing with the paper grade the "lightroom" is much easier and doesn't involve so much trekking to the kitchen sink. I'd quite like a purpose built darkroom with plenty of bench space, plumbing, ventilation and temperature control but I can't see it happening.

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes I have, plenty. Both in the school's darkroom (Loads of B&W prints for the magazine) where I ran the photography club for a few years until I passed it on, then in my own darkroom which I converted from a workshop. Had an ancient DeVere 54 wall mounted with an Ilford Multigrade 400 head.

The last few prints I made were 10x8 contacts, and a few salt prints. Developing 10x8 negs in open dishes of PMK was fun. I think.

Alas I had to leave the enlarger behind when I moved house. Getting it off the wall on my own would have been too risky, my current bungalow has no room for a darkroom, and in any case I wasn't too worried as the new owners were going to do a complete strip-out and rebuild.

16. Terrywoodenpic

Roger,
    you are right micromatic it was, it was short in compaison to my Prefect and Durst, but I have used far shorter columns over the years.
    The Durst was exceptional as the whole enlarger was mobile and over 6ft tall, and could project sideways for wall sized prints.

The Durst was rather like this but went to 18x24 cm negs and had locking wheel rather than pads.
    http://i62.tinypic.com/4pyt8p.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

De Vere enlargers! That brings back memories from the 90s of using one a friend had ... one of the big beasts (504?) with the control wheels next to the baseboard! He eventually sold it to a lab somewhere and they had installed on it, one of their digital heads. I used to have a Gnome back in the 80s, but when I moved house in about 2000, I sold it via a Reading camera club I belonged to. I very occasionally put some DP paper in the Junior Sanderson I acquired from Catriona a couple of years ago but haven't taken any photos with it this year yet.

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Yes, but it must be 40 odd years ago now. I did mostly postcard (3 1/2" x 5/1/2") prints from 35mm, back in the days before multigrade paper. I think I used Ilford paper, mostly grade 3, sometimes 2 and occasionally 5.

Can't remember what the enlarger was - my dad bought it for me 2nd hand. I remember it was a condenser type, and had negative carriers for up to 2 1/4" square. For some reason my dad thought it would be best to use the camera lens (Helios 44 on Zenit B) rather than the enlarger lens that came with it.

19. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Yes, but also made Gum Bichromate prints in the garden.

20. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hmm you might be right, that said I do order prints but that is hardly the same. I do miss the dark some times.