1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever injured yourself while taking photos? 20/2

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Vote on 20 February poll - Have you ever injured yourself while taking photos?

[​IMG]

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Re: Poll - Have you ever injured yourself while taking photos? 2

Not directly, no, although photography did once result in me receiving an indirect injury.

Many years ago my then wife and I were taking photographs in a local beauty spot following a period of heavy rain. She was setting up her tripod to take some long exposure shots of a waterfall in full flood, and as she extended one of its legs to rest down-slope from the others she lost her footing.

She gave out a small shriek and slithered out of sight down the muddy slope.

I manfully stood my ground, peering into the undergrowth and shouting her name.

After a few moments there was a rustling of foliage and the stuff of nightmares emerged. It had a downturned mouth and was covered with the slime and ooze that can only be found in the darkest depths of the ocean – it was the Creature from the Black Lagoon!

“Aaargh!” I shouted. “It’s the Creature from the Black Lagoon!”

The creature roared, a primal scream of rage, its obvious intention being to drag me away to its sub-oceanic lair and feast upon my entrails. Then it called me a silly begger and threw a handful of mud at me.

The first handful of mud missed me by a good margin, but whilst trying to avoid the second, I ran into a tree.

There’s probably a moral in there somewhere…

Wheelu likes this.
  3. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

:D Great story, well told!

I can't remember ever doing myself any serious injury while photting, but I do recall climbing up alongside Cautley Spout waterfall, right to the top section. There is a ledge just before the apex of the falls and you can get a good view of the water coming over the top. Behind is the abyss where England's highest fall plunges down. Standing on the ledge I became so engrossed in taking the shot that I started to move backwards to get more into the frame - I don't know what stopped me, a sixth sense perhaps, but fortunately I did, otherwise I would not be here to tell the tale.

4. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Brilliant!

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

At The Hermitage, near Dunkeld, I put down my monopod and, when I adjusted my position, I slipped down a small banking and cracked three ribs. It was very painful for a few weeks :(. Camera gear was all OK :)

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Yes numerous bangs scrapes and minor cuts. But the worst was caused by humping very large camera cases , tripods and flash units around a factory, a total of several hundred weight of kit. I actually felt and heard my back crunch. It has never been the same since.

7. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

I think photography is probably my only pastime where I haven't injured myself.

I've tripped over a microphone stand while recording sound for the theatre, breaking a finger; stabbed myself with a scalpel while model-making, burned myself soldering together electronics, but I can't think of any photographic related injuries.

Unless paper cuts from reading AP count! :D

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind that I have raised clumsiness to a fine art (I once tripped over my shoe-laces while walking around my flat in my bare feet) I am surprised to be able to say photography is one area I have not managed to hurt myself.

Yet...