1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Have you ever been stopped by the police while taking photographs?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Take part and vote on this week's poll - Have you ever been stopped by the police while taking photographs?

[​IMG]

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I think I may have told the story on the forum a couple of years ago, so won't get into all the detail again.

The answer to the question, technically, is "No."

But there was an occasion when a security guard approached me while I was taking photographs and, because of company policy, was obliged to call the police. The police attended and checked me out against their terrorist procedures because what I was photographing was a "sensitive" installation.

However, because my camera and tripod were in a public place, they agreed that I was entitled to be there and entitled to take photographs from there. So they did not stop me from taking photographs and they did not ask to see the photographs I had already taken.

Both the security guard and the police officers were exceptionally polite and friendly throughout. Just doing their job.

[​IMG]

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No and i've never been stopped by security either. I've only ever stopped one person taking photo's/filming and thats because he was a PITA and getting in the way! I was however on duty not long ago when they closed off a street in Manchester for a big movie (set in NYC as it happens!) and I went to be nosy as we were driving by. Security were staffing the closures. A woman next to me was taking photo's of the movie set with a DSLR and the security stopped her and said she was not allowed. I interrupted and said that I believed she was and he couldn't stop her and to let her carry on. He wasn't best pleased but didn't argue!

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Good for you Nige. :)

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No. Not been a problem even in what some may consider sensitive areas.

6. PI Photography

PI Photography Well-Known Member

7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Yes I have several times, but being a polite person as I am there were no problems. But that was quite some time ago........I am very careful these days where I point my lens, and always ask first if poss........

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Not by the police. I have had members of the public telling me that I'm not allowed to photograph in places where I was allowed. And I have had one member of the public accuse me of taking photographs for the local paper and telling me that any pictures in which she featured were not to be published. Before I'd even raised my camera. I also had a member of the public on a train giving me a forty minute earbashing about the rudeness of taking pictures of people. Anywhere. Anytime. Ever. And a couple of weeks ago I was told that I couldn't photograph the place I was trying to (film acutally but same old same old) because in half an hour there would be kids coming out of the school. I didn't quite get his logic. But no dealings with the police.

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was in a town centre taking photos (no children) and some chavs started shouting at me calling me a f'in pedo, but just ignored them.

TBH I never wore that mac again.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Wonderful - that cheered me up to no end!

11. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Quite a few years ago I was walking through a rather dubious part of Edinburgh, which has since been demolished - the dubious part, not Edinburgh! I passed a garden with a big black dog that barked at anything that moved, so I took a quick photo of it. As I was walking away I could hear a window opening and a woman's voice shouting, "Am callin the polis, ye can't take photies o ma f***ing dug!". I kept walking :)

Alan.

Geren likes this.
  12. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Never stopped by Police, and never had any Police object if I'm pointing the camera in their direction. Usually they just adjust their posture so that they look better.

Private security though, I've had a number of run-ins with. The most recent was at a venue that had a sign by the door saying that they welcome people taking photos. I took a photo and he was over in a flash saying it was forbidden. I suggested we go look at the sign but her really, really didn't want us to.

I've had the occasional member of the public moan at me, but only once did they get uppity about it. I was wandering around town and noticed that from a certain spot, the lantern on an old style lamppost was at the same angle as the horses head on the side of a building. Not only that, but the little flicks on each corner mirrored the horse's ears.
    So I'm stood there brazenly in the middle of the street, pointing the camera up at this lamppost, and some guy walks past me. He then turns round, comes up behind me and demands to know if I was taking pictures of him. He was quite a burly chap and a bit aggressive so I figured the easiest way to sort the situation out would be to show him the shot and what I was aiming for (rather than try and explain that to take his picture, I would have actually had to point the camera in his direction).
    This calms him down - lovely - but then he pulls his own camera out of his bag and takes the shot himself!

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. Mad Monk

Mad Monk New Member

A while back whilst walking through town I saw a car illegally parked and a Warden issuing a ticket, from a reasonable distance I took a few shots.
    The warden made no comment, but the daughter of the driver was livid, yelling that I had no right and was a paedophile, I quietly explained that one may take shots in the public arena to which she responded that she could then take shots of me. I stood where I was while she retrieved her cell phone from the car and took shots of me.
    The law works both ways and one has to be prepared to be photographed when photographing.

14. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Yes, but it was a long time ago, in the early days of PCSOs, when they were not as well trained as now.

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I was stood at the end of my street, leaning against a lamp post for support, taking photographs of a railway bridge further down a main road. Some 'lads' in a car which drove by cried out 'go home pedo'. This was with the 600D and the kit lens, so it's not like it was a bright white Canon L lens on a massive body. I have no idea how the minds of some people work - a moment's thought will reveal that people taking the wrong kind of photograph in public are not using DSLR's to do it - they're using phones, and other miniature cameras.

16. EightBitTony

I've never been approached or stopped by police, or anyone else in authority. I've taken shots of coppers and they definitely have a look, but they've never engaged. I've never had any trouble with the public either, and the attached shot is the closest I've ever come to a comment on my photography in public - it would have been a non-shot without the addition of the guy in the background and his t-shirt.

[​IMG]Hooligan Behaviour by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Likewise, a friend of mine kept this shot simply because of the reaction.

[​IMG]Bird is the word by simes2112, on Flickr

The original point of that shot was the car the guy was driving (open-top jeep).

17. Gogster

Gogster Well-Known Member

Interesting to see how many people have been labelled 'pedos,' also a bit scary considering there's a court case going on at the moment where a lorry driver was accused of being a paeodophile and stabbed to death.

He wasn't.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, one, and I think that was a joke.

19. EightBitTony

In my case, I wasn't labelled, it was random passer-by abuse, they could have shouted 'go home fatso' (which would have been both more accurate and more offensive to me), or any other piece of abuse. It was simple, passing, drive-by stupidity. The same people would be shouting 'go home Hitler' to every German they passed, or 'go home tramp' to everyone in a worn out jacket and jeans. I don't think we should infer anything from their choice of word beyond they're idiots.

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There's been a bit of a storm in a teacup in Rochdale after the leader of the town council was photographed getting out of his car that was parked on double yellow lines with 'no loading' marks on the kerb. The leader of the council promptly launched into a tirade of abuse at the photographer on social media, resulting in the Rochdale Observer contacting him and asking him to explain his outburst. I quote the exact wording of his explanation:

"The reason I called him a turd and a plonker is because he is a turd and a plonker."