1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Has your camera equipment...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

... ever affected the way you take images?

Take part and vote on this week's poll - Has your camera equipment ever affected the way you take images?

[​IMG]

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sorry, none of the choices reflects my position, which is,

Of course it has. Why do you think I bought it?

I take different pictures with my 16mm Minolta and my 12x15 inch Gandolfi, and they're both different from my Leica M9 or Nikon Df. I buy cameras (and lenses) for specific applications, or just to see how they work for me; and I don't buy cameras that don't suit my style(s) of photography.

Cheers,

R.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

This question comes from what I said the other week - that Velvia made me love shadows. Which is true, but like Roger, I have often chosen cameras for a particular reason; my terrible old Halina Disk camera made wonderful, impressionist images because it was so bad, as did my first phone camera; I fancy Adrian's Coronet for what it can do.
    But more than that, I do take photos differently with different types of equipment; using a TLR or a rangefinder are very different experiences to an SLR, a compact or whatever, as well as the results being different according to format.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suppose so though I've never really thought that much about it. It's generally boiled down to if I can't do it because I don't have the right piece of kit I either don't do it or buy the kit - subject to actually having the dough of course...

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Me too.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have to go along with Roger Hicks. What I bought was defined by what I wanted to achieve not the other way round.
    So no vote from me.

When I joined the forces I bought an Agfa solinette as It would fit in a battledress pocket, and produced excellent results. When I went to college I bought my first Rolleiflex... It was the best hand camera at the time for general photography. I bought a MPP mk 7 because it was easier to set up than a monorail I bought A MPP monorail because it was more versatile.
    I bought what I needed at the time to do what was needed not because I fancied it.

Today I use Fuji X30 because It is easy to carry does what I want, and I fancied it, and it is good enough for what I shoot. I have no actual photographic needs.

7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Pretty much my position as well.

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

One of the answers read:

"...the limitations of my camera or other equipment forced me to take certain shots in a particular way"

...I thought this was the the lot of the fun of taking photos - finding new interesting ways to do stuff not done before I.E. there is no magic bit of kit to buy off the shelf to do it for you :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes, although I think my 65mm macro lens has had more to do with it than any of the cameras it has been mounted to have. That lens changed the way I shoot most stuff with a DSLR.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'll go with that, just buying another lens is a case of equipment affecting the way one takes images.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Not just the way I take pictures but also the pictures I take. My usual reason for buying a camera / lens / accessory is to expand the gamut over which one takes pictures. Some people buy kit to expand / complete there collection, that's not me.

12. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

Sums me up to. Some gear is better than others for certain jobs. No perfect cam.

My previous discussion of this topic.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/what-is-the-best-camera-in-the-world/