1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Has another photographer ever got in your way or ruined..

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Rosie Barratt, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Rosie Barratt

Rosie Barratt AP Picture Researcher Forum Admin

Vote on this week's Poll here http://apmag.co/R1hPP4 Has another photographer ever got in your way or ruined your shot?

[​IMG]

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Re: Poll: Has another photographer ever got in your way or ruin

No. I don't take it - or wait.

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The answer is not to seek out other photographers' tripod holes. Find your own shots.

But yes - it can happen occassionally although, generally, other photographers tend to be considerate.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I was taking some shots of deer in a deer park once, I was shooting into the sun because I wanted silhouettes. As I then walked (a long way) around the deer to get a shot with the sun behind me, I passed another couple who had been taking pictures. They were talking in very loud whispers to make sure I heard, because they were complaining that I had been ruining their shots.

So no, but I guess I've ruined other people's.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Frances and I even have a name for them: Elmer and Myrtle from Kansas. They're not necessarily photographers, though. Both are very fat and slow-moving: they spend a lot of time standing in one place, often puffing slightly from the exertion. As well as taking the occasional picture, they spend a lot of time looking at maps or simply staring blankly into space, presumably wondering what to do next. They are VERY common in Arles.

Cheers,

R.

6. Roger Hicks

Eh? If it's "other photographers' tripod holes" it's quite easy to get 'round 'em. But if there's a good spot, well, you'll "find your own shots" there, just as they do. Besides, you don't get "other photographers' tripod holes" in most places, especially in the street or at special events -- or indeed anywhere except a very few tourist destinations frequented mostly by the unimaginative.

Generally, even is somebody is in the way, a few minutes waiting is all you need. In any case, serious photographers with real cameras are rarely the problem: it's the camera-phone users, straining to to see their pictures in bright sun, that most often ruin the view.

Cheers,

R.

7. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Frequently; when visiting nature reserves and finding hides occupied by togs with huge tripods and lenses with shutters doing an impression of a machine gun

8. Roger Hicks

Good point: a lot will depend on your chosen field of photography.

Then again, I much prefer photography to togging.

Cheers,

R.

9. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Never.

The only person who can ruin your shot is yourself. I've managed that a few times. :cool:

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've actually engineered it. Pretend to be taking pictures of the architecture and hope those coming towards you are not going to dodge to one side. Inevitably here, most apologise for messing up my picture! Little do they know.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I can't recall it happening, although I'm sure it has. Likewise I'm sure that I've ruined others' shots, but never intentionally. Why get worked up over it?

12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I remember an organised photo-holiday on Skye where, at one or two locations, the participants did a lot of getting in each others way.

Otherwise, it depends upon what I'm up to. If I'm out taking abstracts/impressions then it doesn't matter whether anybody, photographer or not, gets in the way as my technique either removes them completely or reduces them to a hopefully colourful patch which merges into the photo. Then again, another photographer standing stubbornly in the way can actually lead to a better shot in that a step or two to the right/left can reveal a better standpoint.

Do I get in other photographers way? Inevitably, especially if they're using iPhones, tablets or whatever. And if it's a group of chinese tourists you just have to plough on through regardless otherwise you'll be waiting all day! Generally however it depends upon the situation

Lynn

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yes. :(

It happens. :rolleyes:

I'm over it. :)

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have a vague memory of being at some event or other where lots of us were trying to get shots of the action as it played out and some people were, let's just say, more insistent than others. But it wouldn't have been a special, unique shot in that case anyway so I didn't let it bother me.

The people most likely to ruin my shots are my own family. They don't seem to understand that I have no desire for every shot I take to include them looking back towards me impatiently!

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

A photographer has no ownership of a view point or line of site.
    It is presumptuous to suppose you are being hard done by, if some one takes up a better position.

16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

is that prejudice aginst Chinese, or alternative photo devices.? Or are your shots really more important than theirs.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Is it presumptuous to hope for a little common courtesy in checking that you aren't blocking someone else before plonking your gear down? In this day and age?... yeah, probably. :rolleyes:

Someone accidentally wandering into my shooting line isn't a cause for aggeravation although deliberately setting up in it might well be make me a little miffed...

18. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Still, you can always use Kate's technique and incorporate them into your shot.

:D

19. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  20. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

I was once shooting some models in a nightclub, and a guy kept popping up in front of me and snapping while I was arranging the shot, triggering my lights with his pop-up flash.

I politely asked him to stop.