1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you watermark the images you post online?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Take part and vote on this week's poll - Do you watermark the images you post online?

[​IMG]

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Considering that the poll relates to internet security, there's a certain irony involved in posting a link which warns us that our data isn't safe if we follow it!

Cheers, Jeff

Bejay likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Irrespective of the validity of the certificate or not I answered no because I don't use watermarks. I don't post anything bigger than AP guidelines. I overlay a copyright message bottom left, all exif fields relating to ownership/authorship/copyright are filled in and the site I post on (Flickr) clearly says this is copyright material. The only time I use watermarks is to indicate that a report is draft.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I also answered No. No because I don't post images on-line.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I do sometimes watermark things on my pro site - if I've done an event shoot for some organisation where individuals can buy prints. Otherwise, some will just pinch the online version. Don't use them for anything else

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

The pictures on my website are watermarked, those I've posted on AP are not. I have nothing to do with other sites like flickr etc. Anybody wanting to pinch one of my photos from AP would first of all have to carry out a very detailed search andm, in any case, if caught they'd have a lot of very awkward explaining to do regarding the photo(s).

Lynn

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I used to. I have been forced to admit that it was a vanity thing. I liked seeing my watermark there, proclaiming to all six of my 'followers' that I had taken this. Now I don't bother. If someone likes my image well enough to pretend they took it then fine. Most of what I sell is to people I'm in direct contact with - product photography for a few local businesses, a book cover for someone who saw something online that they liked. The things I upload to places like Flickr tends to just be the kind of work that i make for enjoyment and isn't really the kind of thing that would end up being sold as a print. They are probably more suited to a book format. If someone tried to take my images from the web and print them big enough to go on a wall they'd be a bit disappointed with the file quality. If they can be bothered to take enough to make a book then all credit to them.

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No I don't bother but then I don't put much on-line and any I do are too small to be much use to anyone.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.amateurphotographer.co.uk has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

But no, anyway.

Cheers,

R.

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I used to, much the same way as Geren, but I don't now. In fact now, anything I post to Flickr is done with a creative commons license anyway, so people are free to re-use those images as long as they stick to the license agreement.

After I spent 5 minutes removing my own watermarks in Photoshop, I realised how futile it was as a form of protection.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I don't bother. I don't post anything bigger than monitor size and I'm not sure that most of what I do post is of commercial interest anyway. Beyond that anyone who want to steal a picture and pass it off as their own is such a sad and hollow shell of a person they aren't worth fretting about anyway...

If I was a pro or semi-pro photographer or one who makes some income, however limited, I probably would then...

13. Elliejones

Elliejones Active Member

Well unless somebody wanted the 'How not to take a photo' photograph, and if they did, then I think I'd rather not have an watermark saying it was me who took the photo:rolleyes:

Mind you I have had one of my photographs (which I shall put as my avatar) it was used as part of a calendar raising funds for gsd2000

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ha, but to the poll question - that isn't to my mind a watermark - it is a text overlay.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

:(

17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh my eyes! That typeface!

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I don't put much online, but if I do put anything remotely large on, I create hidden watermarks as well as any showing it is my work.
    The hidden stuff is a lot harder to remove, because it is difficult to find.