1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you use YouTube to learn more about photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

This week we ask - Do you use YouTube to learn more about photography?

Take part and vote on the poll

[​IMG]

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I said no but could equally have said never considered. I have used adobe TV for Lightroom tutorials as the medium suits "how to" use software. I have occasionally used product videos, mainly woodworking, to see how a tool is used/set up. The last u-tube video I looked at was when a neighbours installed for free by the fire brigade fire-alarm went off for no reason. Without the video I would have had no clue. I think the video was 15 s including trailer. We were about to try a sledgehammer - bad idea that would have been as there were reports that the 10 year life lithium battery can catch fire (I think it was archived Daily Wail reports of houses burned down by free fire detectors)

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'd never considered it until I was watching one of PeteE's videos. After his amusing and informative piece had ended, one of the next recommendations was a video by a chap called Alex Wrigley who had made one about night photography in the Lake District. I gave it a watch and found it useful.

Since then I've watched a number of YouTube videos to gain insight into aspects of photography with which I'm not overly-familiar.

I'm not watching videos morning, noon and night and I'm fussy about the ones I do watch, but there is some good stuff out there. By way of example, Lee Acaster (APOY winner last year) has some very good videos on his approach to landscape photography.

One photographer who I shall not name turns out videos filled with soaring drone shots of him walking along dramatic coastlines, examples of his finished landscape work and absolutely zero content relating to equipment and techniques - these are the ones that I avoid like the plague!

Cheers, Jeff

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I have seen a few but really have learnt nothing! Most of the how to do things use all the latest gear and I am simply not into that, all I want to do is take picture's, I dont like the American way of putting things over especially when they keep calling a Nikon a Nigh..con......

5. Fishboy

Oh yes - I agree - I generally avoid American videos because I tend to find them too patronising (with, perhaps, the exception of Michael Reichmann's for the Luminous Landscape - they didn't take themselves too seriously).

Cheers, Jeff

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I saw one American review on a camera and he was comparing it with the previous model which I found interesting but he was juggling the cameras around that much that sooner or later he was going to drop one....I had to switch off my nerves could not stand anymore!

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

8. Fishboy

I'm not overly familiar with this one, but from the name it suggests a site for people with an interest in pints.*

If it's pints of milk, then no, although I did go to a fancy dress party as a milkman when I was eight or nine years old.

If it's pints of beer, then yes. Where do I sign up?

Cheers, Jeff

*I know what it is, but it has never really appealed to me.

9. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

It's
    I use it for keeping track of photographers or for research. You can make boards public or private should you wish, here's mine at present: https://uk.pinterest.com/alan7291/

Cheers
    Alan

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Pinterest seems to demand you sign up to view anything more than the top couple of rows on the front page, and anything on the following pages.

11. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot about that, it's been a while since I joined and never sign out! Worth signing up to if you want to keep track of images you discover on the web. I've a plug-in in Firefox which lets me click on an image to add it to my Pinterest account, simple!

Alan

12. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Or is it for people interested in pins or people who like a p ?
    I've no idea what it is although I see it mentioned on the internet regularly. How is it pronounced?

Pint - e -rest (Yorkshire beer-drinking snooker player maybe?)
    Pin -te- rest
    P interest

13. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Yes !

14. James Eagles

James Eagles Well-Known Member

Yes, frequently.