1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you think drones should be banned? 26/3

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Sorry for the double-post...but...

The very first post features a picture of this month's AP - now I'm certainly no etymologist, but isn't that a photograph of a drone on the cover?

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Alex,

Quite. Would those who plead "civil liberties" like to see more people driving cars without licenses?

Drones are something new, cheap enough to be bought by idiots, and can go just about anywhere including over private gardens, factories, prisons. schools, sports grounds...To compare them with bicycles, as others have done, is naive in the extreme. In any case, there are places where bicyclists are not allowed to ride. Should we just shrug and ignore this because we can't catch all the lawbreakers?

Cheers,

R

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

It could also be argued that cars are cheap enough to be bought (secondhand) by anyone, of whatever intelligence, without a Driver's Licence AND without insurance AND without paying VED and driven on the road. (Now, in theory, only briefly in the UK.) Similarly a bicycle can be acquired by anyone, of whatever intelligence, and cause havoc even without going on a road. I actually met a new drone user recently and he was treating it with great as care to its use and was aware of the CA requirements. He was getting quite enthusiastic about photography while using it. A potential recruit. There are many routes into becoming a general photography addict ... :)

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Naïve? So is it realistic (given that no authority anywhere on earth that I am aware of licences bicycles) to attempt to licence drones which are smaller, more manoeuvrable and easier to hide than bicycles? Both drones and bicycles can be used for nefarious purposes but my analogy was not based on civil liberties but rather practicality.

5. JBJB

JBJB Well-Known Member

It's probably of no particular relevance to the topic at hand, but when I lived in Montreal in the '70s bicycles were required to be licensed, at least in the areas I lived.

Perhaps more interestingly, I think this ties in with the use Benjamin Franklin's "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." which garnered support in another thread. It's always seemed to me that, despite its popularity, it's at heart a meaningless truism that all boils down to which liberties we deem to be essential.

/JB

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

By this time next year every year 7 schoolchild will have been given a bomb trigger and have learnt how to program it in MicroPython. Do you want to ban micro:bit as well as drones. MIcro:bit has an onchip timer and input and output connections. It is also very light and perfect for drone use. One has already been sent into the stratasphere hung under a small helium ballon.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Highlight: very true.How many of us would rank flying drones alongside "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"? Or the right to drive cars without a driving test?

Cheers,

R.

8. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

Like all things, used properly they are ok!

9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm concerned. If we are to ban Drones where then can Bertie Wooster types go to meet their chums?

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I remember my dad getting a radio controlled aeroplane for his birthday one year. Within minutes of its inaugural take off, it was stuck in a tree next to the rugby club, one wing drooping at an alarming angle. I imagine a drone would have gone the same way. So I do understand people's concerns about the abilities of drone-owners to control these beasts and the potential for accidental injury. But I can't get too het up about the possible number of terrorist drone attacks to be honest. I seem to remember there was an episode of Hawaii Five-0 that incorporated weaponised drones but they weren't exactly on the scale of the kind of thing you could buy in Jessop's....much more military hush hush kind of things. Bigger. More scary looking. I suspect any terrorist worth his salt would be looking to inflict more damage than a £500 drone would be up for. Or if not, banning drones wouldn't really help when they could do as much harm with some bleach and some fertiliser.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not banned. Just licenced and insured.