1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you still own and use film cameras?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Feb 9, 2017.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Quite prepared to agree that I was doing film wrong, and no doubt we could start a discussion on what "quality" means but for the moment I will say that one of my wife's favourite prints is a double portrait of two of our granddaughters. It was taken in a corner of a dimly lit cafe in Barcelona at a quite ridiculous ISO. If I had wanted to take that image on film I would have needed studio lights and the whole atmosphere would have been different

spinno likes this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Roger,

Sure. But what pictures of your granddaughters WON'T make you go "Awwww..."? I've got some truly rotten pictures of my daughter that make me go "Awwww..." but I also have one or two good ones; pictures that stand up as pictures, for anyone, even if they're not as hopelessly besotted with the subject as I am. We're using the word "quality" in different senses here. Both are perfectly legitimate, but they're not exactly comparable.

Also, it's amazing what you can do with long shutter speeds. Somewhere I have a picture of a girlfriend when I was at university. I was in love, of course: I usually was (and still am, with both my wife and my daughter). It was shot with a Leica IIIa and 50/3,5 Elmar on ISO 50 Barfen (remember that? Ferrania) home processed. The shutter speed was either 1/2 second or 1 second. But it's still a picture I love of a girl I loved.

Cheers,

R.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

That ones easy this one:-

Seems like the forum software has censored thaat one - which is probably just as well
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  4. greyowl

greyowl Member

I've got far to many: used a contax 139 for years, then got the collecting bug and have far too many old relics.

The ones I actually use - because of the lenses are:

Contax G2 - this goes out with me on hols along with an m43
    Contax iia and sonnar 1.5 or 2. run a film off every month

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have quite a few... not sure how many....
    I play with a few from time to time.
    The last that I used was a Ensign Selfix ll and was about 10 years ago, the part used film is still in the camera....
    The most recent that I had a play with, was my MPP monorail... I got a film back for it but never used it... but it is shipshape and ready to go.

6. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

Own a Kodak Funflash;)

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

You mean Russians, PE, not Trumpites. (Trumpeters?)

The Russians are hacking AP. It must be them. Pretty obvious that digital would hit its zenith and then lose some popularity. Lo and mo' besides, film is coming back big time. Have a Zorki at the Thread started by another poster. Symbolic of the film renaissance is the fact that young people who have never used it are trying it for the first time. Film actually kievs you something that digital never can. Cheers, Oly

PS: I know - IGMC.

PhotoEcosse likes this.