1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you still have your first-ever camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

This week we ask - Do you still have your first-ever camera? Take part and vote on this week's poll apmag.co/rQpGYW

[​IMG]

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes, a hand me down box brownie

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... ancient history, can't remember what it was or what became of it, was over 50 years ago.:)

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Same here Rog. I guess the first one I laid hands on was a Box Brownie - but it could have been a Leica, courtesy of my uncle!

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

No. IIRC, it was a Diana-F kit. It cost next to nothing (it was a loooong time ago - early/mid '60s?) with flashgun and half a dozen flash bulbs. They still make them, but they go for ludicrous amounts these days.

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Zenit B (Well, technically, since it came from Dixons, Prinzflex 500). I think it's still around somewhere. If I ever come across it, I might try putting a film through it again. It has a rather good copy of the Helios 44 58mm f/2 (copy of the Zeiss Biotar IIRC). It must be around 40 years since I last used it.

BTW, I was surprised by two things about this poll - first, the "Yes, I still have it, but I don't know where it is" option describes my case perfectly, and second, I seem to be the first person to have chosen that option.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No, gave it to my partner and she's lost it in the house somewhere.

However, I still have, and use, my Dad's Kodak No 2 he bought in about 1926, that was the first proper camera I used in the late 60's.

S

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Indeed I do, it was one of these...

[​IMG]

Got it somewhere around '69 or '70 for a school trip...

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Sort of.

I still have my first (proper) camera, a parental gift when I was 12 y.o., and still use it from time to time. But not the first camera I was given by the son of my parents' friends. That hand-me-down was a Kodak P&S: a Brownie 127.

Is there a vote section for me to use

No? Thought not. I'll choose the next best & skew the results a bit. :eek::D

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No. It was a disc camera, probably from Boots. After that there was a 110 which broke, and then a Halina compact which I still have, but don't use.

12. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

My first camera was one of these but I've no idea where it got to. I still have prints from it though.

[​IMG]

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

My first ever 'my' camera was an "Ansco Cadet Disc 100". We had other family cameras like the big red oblong 110's but that Ansco was my first and it is now sadly long long lost... Then again the format was discontinued in the late 90's so it's not like I could run a disc through it even if I had one...

My first ever SLR was a hand-me-down Pentax P30 which I still have. Tripped the shutter a few weeks back to make sure it still worked, a few splutters and back to life it came :)

My first Digital SLR was a Nikon D40, much missed, part exchanged for a lens before its value dropped too far... Even that lens has gone, part ex-ed for something else part ex-ed for something else which was also part ex-ed.

Grief, the treadmill I built for myself!

14. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Can still picture it (excuse the pun), but long gone; was a small/kiddies 120, had a plethora of controls - large red shutter lever, and a winder..

15. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Nope.

It was a second hand Pentacon FM (Contax S with minor improvements) and cost £19-11-6d from City Photographic; equivalent to roughly £340 today, so serious money for a fifteen-year-old. When you fired the shutter, the screen went blank. You set the aperture on one ring and then spun another to stop down after focussing. Primitive as it was, it taught me the basics and some of the not so basics.

Would I want it today? By the FSM no! Give me a decent digital camera any day. Still I have some pictures from it, not necessarily the best, which have nostalgia value...

[​IMG]

16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

No but it was given me in January 1945.
    It was a folder of unknown make with a F7.7 anastigmat lens, and shutter speeds of 1/25, 1/50 and I/100 and took 8 on 120 film.
    It was the start of a very long Journey.
    I soon traded it for a Voigtlander Brilliant of similar specification but rather better construction.

17. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Kodak Brownie 127 hand me down from my sister then a few years later my other sister gave me her Minolta A5 and I caught the bug!

Cheery bye! Andrew

18. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

My first ever camera, a Kodak 110 Instamatic, 1976-84 -- gonzo -- my second camera, a Kodak Disc camera :eek:, 1985 to 1986 and sold my first ever photo :eek: :eek: -- gonzo --My third, and first real, camera, a K1000, 1986 - 8/9?, which with a sold my first real photo -- gonzo, my fourth camera, a Pentax MX, with which I started my freelance life of photojournalism -- still got it but, after being run over a card, bashed over my head and thrashed by thieves, it's looks ugly but still functions, albeit sans meter and an off-kilter prism :D

Cheers,

Jack

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I do. Kodak Instalation 33x, birthday present from my grandmother who thought it was instant. Haven't used it in many years.

20. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Mine was an Agfa Isolette with Solinar lens and Sycro Compur shutter. Still have it after sixty years.