1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you prefer to shoot in JPEG or raw?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Oct 25, 2016.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Could it also be, ladies and gents, that a jpeg was something of a necessity when memory was expensive and limited in capacity and image processing was perhaps a skill that very few camera users had had any opportunity to learn and use?

In addition, it brought fractious camera makers together around a common standard, thus enhancing the 'to market' aspect of the digital revolution.

mediaman likes this.
  2. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Hi All,
    What I was trying to say is that I find it very difficult, if not impossible, to process the raw files my FZ150 produces, to the point that the images are better than it's jpgs. Of course, there are exceptions. But, in general, the FZ150 has a pretty good jpg engine. .
    .....john

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Compacts often produce "striking" results by default because people like bold colours and contrasty prints. I was quite surprised when I got a Canon G10 compact and first processed a raw file from it in DPP which takes camera settings as a starting point. I had never pushed the processing sliders that far when working on files from my 5D. I suspect your raw processing software starts with a conservative set of development settings so you see a very different image to the jpg. A popular program for processing raw files Adobe Lightroom works in a different colour space to sRGB so even after you finish processing (assuming you have colour correct monitor) you need to view results proofed to sRGB.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It might possibly be an interesting exercise for those who only shoot in RAW to shoot a pic or two in RAW and JPEG and put up the out of camera JPEG and their worked on RAW images for us to see how much better they are.

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

While I agree that it might be an interesting exercise, it might also only prove that what the camera thinks is ideal is a million miles away from what the photographer thought!

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't really see it is a competition and, unless you are talking about default settings, there is no unique camera jpg - all cameras have lots of parameters to twiddle.

I started using RAW because in DPP I could see the effect of using the different picture styles and that flexibility to choose the most appropriate was useful. Maybe Canon is unique in providing this capability? I stopped saving raw+jpg quite soon after buying my 5D as it was pointless to have both when the jpg could be created in a click.

Although I use LR now I always do my preliminary ranking of Canon files in DPP using the camera default standard jpg output.

In Lightroom, which I use for its cataloguing and local adjustment capability, there is more need to tweak because the default processing assumes you will. It is easy to ruin an image by post-processing but you never lose the starting point. I rarely change the HSL settings for the Adobe standard development. If the colours aren't right for the image I'll first try the Adobe emulation of the Canon picture styles or Fuji film styles according to camera.

The big advantage of jpegs is if you are taking lots of pictures, say of an event, and post processing is not going to be done. I don't fall into that category. Looking at LR I have on file 15,779 images the first from April 2007 to Saturday last - so almost 10 years worth. I take more than I keep but I suspect that many people take more shots in a weekend than I do in a year.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Most of my sports stuff is shot in JPEG for the sake of the buffer. Most everything else is shot in RAW. I hardly ever shoot both, when I do, it's on my camera with two card slots, because otherwise, it just makes everything slower.

8. K Kapoor

K Kapoor Member

Unless its a project or campaign I am working on, its always JPEG for general shooting.

9. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

When I deserted film and went digital at the turn of the century the best piece of advice given to me was......get it right first time in the camera....and the least you do to your picture in Photoshop the better, that is a true fact! and 95% of my pictures are done in jpeg, but that is not to say that 95% of my pictures are perfect, I just wish they was!

Shinnen likes this.
  10. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Hi Ivor,
    Unfortunately, I have never shot in film. (If I had, I would have a better understanding of the terms and basics of photography.) I only became interested around the time digital was getting fairly good. My first camera was a Canon S5, a camera that has produced some pretty good pictures. This camera can be adapted (using CHDK) to take DNGs, along with jpgs.
    ....... john

11. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Hi John, it was just as hard for me and a lot of other photographers to come to terms with digital photography too, the only thing going for us was the fact the actual picture taking was just the same......processing the image on a desktop was a nightmare but we got there in the end, the very few images that I have shot in raw was taking far too long to process than the ones I shot in jpeg there was a slight difference in quality but not enough for me to shoot everything in raw.....best wishes.....

12. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Hi Ivor,
    Well, as an experiment I asked some members on another forum, all experienced photographers, to see if they could lighten up some foreground detail (rail tracks actually) that my FZ150 jpg did not show as well as I wanted. To that end I sent them copies of my best jpg and the rw2 files. One of the members did improve on the jpg by processing the raw, but the rest, well, were marginally better than my jpg, if at all. My experience with raw is that you really have to have a good software, and know how to use it. I tried improving on the jpg in question, by processing the rw2 using Raw Therapee, and although I was able to bring up the dark area that I wanted lightened, it was at the cost of other parts of the image.Mind you, I still shoot in both raw and jpg, but haven't recently needed the raw.
    ...... john

13. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Yes. I wouldn't call RawTherapee the best software, though I have used it for old cameras not supported by Aftershot Pro, my preferred raw converter / processor. I could've used UFraw, but that's a bit more faffing about than RT.

And even then, you're unlikely to improve on a JPEG shot under ideal conditions, with the appropriate in camera settings.

I consider the main benefit of raw is when you're shooting in less than ideal conditions. Which is why I also usually shoot raw + JPEG - I don't often shoot sports or fast action, so the additional write time isn't an issue for me.

14. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Yes, that pretty much sums up my experiences.
    ........ john

15. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Since moving to Fuji, rarely feel the need for the added complication of RAW. I'm not a professional, and if I avoid high iso's, I like jpegs from Fuji.

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am a dual user - Olympus and Canon (6D) Oly is very proud of its OOC JPGs and the Canon seems just as good to me, but that may be due to to the sensor size, So no I do not bother with RAW normally. I have to say that with the Canon I can distinguish the difference if I am shooting test charts but for two real life images side by side the quality appears identical

There are of course a few occasions when proof of an unedited image is needed and that does require RAW

Digitalmemories likes this.
  17. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Yes. I have a fondness for Fuji's colours too. I also like Kodak's.
    .... john

Digitalmemories likes this.