1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you prefer to shoot in JPEG or raw?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Oct 25, 2016.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ah, but what you must remember is, to be a ‘real’ photographer, you must:
    1. Have at least two DSLRs (certainly not a CSC, though a Leica rangefinder jobby is acceptable), preferably top-of-the-range.
    2. Lots of expensive lenses.
    3. A big bushy beard is optional*.
    4. Always shoot RAW - JPEG is for wimps.

* especially for women.

;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Well. I've got the two dSLRs (three actually) two expensive lenses for them and a few cheap ones. However, I've got no beard and I can't think of one good reason to use RAW files. Suppose I'll just have to make do with being a pretend photographer. :(

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Indeed instant JPEG has a purpose. A bit like Polaroid in the film era. I use it when it is appropriate.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Depends what you shoot. I have been shooting wildfowl on water recently. Raw is needed to overcook the colours so one can accentuate the identifying features.

5. Andrew Flannigan

That makes good sense. It's the daft "if you don't use RAW all the time you're not a proper photographer" brigade that I lack empathy for.

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Christine, the Poll's voting section has disappeared from the web-site.

Bit difficult to vote.

Hope there is an option to vote 'Both'. ;)

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Real men like their photography as they like their vegetables, "RAW". Ladies, on the other hand, like nothing better than a TIFF.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the intentions of manufacturers.
    You can use a hammer to drive in a screw and it holds better than an annular nail.

10. 0lybacker

Hi El Sid, thanks for trying. By the time I got back here this afto it had disappeared again. As there's no option for 'Both', there's no point in asking the question! Who concocts these things? You'd think after the good advice from Roving Mike and others on conducting surveys, someone at AP might have sat up and taken notice. :( Cheers, Oly

11. 0lybacker

If your dead wildfowl are overcooked, how come they are raw?

IGMC ...

[tiptoes away]

PS: Learning, I think you may have stumbled on the BBC's replacement for GBBO: 'Kill it, cook it, eat it' or 'KICIEI'. Bless you!

12. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Always Raw !

13. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Always raw, but then I have few pixels. I process in NX2 and only convert to post here.

14. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

I have two cameras that can shoot raw, a Powershot a590 and and a Lumix FZ150. I shoot raw with both of them; but it's a very very rare situation when processing the raw produces a better image than what I can obtain from processing the jpg.
    ...... john

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That makes no sense to me at all. Unless what you mean is that you are always disappointed with your own efforts when compared to just relying on the camera's algorithms? In which case, until you take the time to learn what you are doing, RAW offers you no advantage.

16. Terrywoodenpic

I think those are options not intentions.
    Not all options are equal.....

17. Andrew Flannigan

...and the difference in this context is?

18. Terrywoodenpic

The answer lays in my second phrase.
    Not all options are equal.
    Intentions are intentions.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Whatever you're drinking it might be well to lay off it. It was claimed that using jpeg was a bad idea. I pointed out that it was one of several ways the designers intended the camera to be used. You came back with what I think you intended to be a witty response while rubbishing that view, I called you on it and now you respond by repeating the assertion. Very odd.

20. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

And, of course you are correct. Manufacturers provide the option of shooting in Jpeg or Raw because they acknowledge that not everyone, all of the time, requires the higher quality image that a well-processed Raw file will produce and, at other times, may opt for the lesser quality but other advantages of a Jpeg. Personally, I never shoot Jpeg because I always assume that, whatever my primary intention when taking the shot, I might at a later date (perhaps much later) decide that I want to use the image (or part of it) for a completely different purpose and I don't want to restrict my later options by having shot in Jpeg.