1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you prefer a camera with or without an optical...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

... low-pass filter?

Take part and cast your vote on this week's poll - Do you prefer a camera with or without an optical low-pass filter?

[​IMG]

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

My D800 has one, my D800E has one and another filter to negate the first, and my D810 has none.

Know something? I can't tell the difference.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Is anyone going to correct the misspelling of "OPTICAL" on the website?

Adrian

4. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

I noticed my typo this morning and have changed it but it sometimes takes a while for the website to update. Thanks
    Chrissie

5. veato

veato Well-Known Member

I like no optical low pass filter and a method of simulating the function of one when required. Like my camera does!

K3II. Best of both worlds.

6. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I think a more relevant question would be "Do you prefer a camera with or without an optical viewfinder?".

Perhaps one for the future?

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I haven't the foggiest idea. :confused:

All my cameras are too old and lacking in pixels for it to be an option - though I suspect the OLF in my D50 is weaker than my Canons...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'll answer this one on Friday after a day playing with a 5DS and 5DSr.

Right now, I'm really not fussed.

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Nick

Although I am not in an upgrade mood it would be very interesting to hear your impressions - especially with regard to any loss of ISO as a result of the upgrade of resolution. From a 6D of course

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The only cameras I have owned without one are the Fuji X20 and X30.
    I can understand that they were needed in the early cameras but less convinced they are needed today. I have never suffered Moire with, or without.

I voted not to have one because on balance they are solving a problem I do not have and tend to reduce detail.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

If we do get a question about viewfinders. I would certainly vote for an 100%, and accurate one.

I am not not bothered if it were an optical or Electronic variety.
    On balance the Electronic are more accurate and more informative. But an Optical one Has no lag, should be clearer but not as versatile or accurate.

However I would not buy a hand held camera with out an Eyelevel finder of some variety.

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I prefer slightly less than 100% - that way there's a bit round the edge in case the image is slightly off the horizontal and needs editing. ;)

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't care. and leave such things to my chosen manufacturer. My D7100 does not have one, and I haven't ever seen moiré from it. My D800 has a courser pixel pitch and Nikon in their wisdom included one. Some D800E uses claim to see moiré in normal use but seem to have chosen their lens and subject in order to justify their whinge.
    I guess, but don't know, that modern high pixel density sensors are only prone to moiré with particular subjects and with the sort of lenses that I am unlikely to purchase.

14. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

I can do without the filter.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not sure how to get an overall view as the number of people owning with and without and regularly using both must be very small. The reviews I read so far on the Canon suggest with + tad more sharpening is very close to without and needs less post-processing so I am not so convinced without is vastly superior although I recognise the evidence for making ones own mind up is limited.