1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you own prime lenses in the same mount...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

... with the same focal length but with different maximum apertures?

Take part and cast your vote on this week's poll - Do you own prime lenses in the same mount with the same focal length but with different maximum apertures?

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Technically the correct answer for me is yes but I don't use them regularly...

As far as I can remember I only have one set and that's a trio of 135mm teles in Nikon AI - to Nikkors, an aged f3.5, an almost equally aged f2.8, and a Tamron f2.5. The f3.5 I bought dirt cheap and IIRC I was given the other two...

Hang on - I just remembered I also have two AI fit 50mm Nikkors in f1.8 and f1.4 flavours plus a another 1.8 in AF. In tis case I bought the AF version to replace the manual one as the focus had gotten stiff before picking up the 1.4 for peanuts..

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

No. Over the years I have been underwhelmed by the performance of lenses wider than approximately f2 / f1.8 and if one does not want to go wider that that there is not usually a lot of choice.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes - and for several systems.

For EOS, I have 28mm f1.8 and f2.8 IS - they're very different wide open. I also have 50mm f1.4 and f2.5, for which the same applies. For other systems, I've all sorts of things, but for most of them I've at least two different 50mm lenses.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Nope. Got zooms that have different apertures but I haven't doubled up on primes.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No. Different mounts/apertures but no doubling up.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR 1:1.4 50 and Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50.
    Strangely when I looked in the cupboard to verify the exact names of these lenses, I found that it was the macro that was mounted on the old Spotmatic.
    Weren't cameras and lenses very small and light in those days? Such is progress.
    I haven't used that camera for at least 40 years.
    I didn't vote because there was no appropriate response.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. nickyr

nickyr Well-Known Member

I've got a Nikon 70-200mm f4 and a Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, so some doubling up but with justification.

My only other prime is a Nikon 50mm f1.4 which sits between my 16-35mm f4 and the 70-200.

I used to use a Nikon 24mm Ai-s manual focus jobby but that is now gone.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

When you say "in the same mount", does that include fixed-lens things as well?

S

10. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Yes, for example Pentax 50mm K fit in f2, f1.7 x3 and f1.4 - crackers really. My 1.4 is no better than the 1.7s and heavier to lug about. Couldn't resist a bargain.

Likewise Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and f1.4 - and out of all of this collection it's the Zuiko 1.8 that I use on my NEX. It's a star performer.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Whoops!

Someone didn't think about those questions too carefully.

:rolleyes:

No response again from me.

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Quite a lot:

Leica -- 90/2 Thambar (soft focus), 90/2 Summicron (sharp), 90/3.5 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar (Frances's really -- small and very high quality, much like Frances) + 50mm (several) + 35mm (Voigtlander f/2.5 and f/1.4 Summilux) + 21mm (Voigtlander f/4 and an f/2.8 from another maker)

Nikon: several 50mm + 2x135mm (f/2.8 Nikkor, f/2.3 Vivitar Series 1), 2x200mm (Nikon f/4 and Vivitar Series 1 f/3) + 2x300mm (non-Nikon f/4 + f/5.6 mirror)

Pentax: 50/1.4, 50/1,8, 50/4 macro, and 50/2 Russian + 2x135 f/3,5 Pentax and f/1.8 Porst

Some were historical accidents: they came with cameras or were silly cheap (4 euros for the Pentax macro), bought to try.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  13. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Sure. I also have lenses in the same mount with the same focal length and the same maximum aperture.

The joy of old Pentax fit lenses.