1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you go out of your way to find great light for photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not really though i do like a decent sunset which are rarer that you might wish - all too often the sky promises then fails to deliver.

I generally make the best of what light there is and sometimes you can get lucky even on a bad day...

If the light is really horrible though there's often not much that can be done other than go home...:rolleyes:

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The thing about photography is that you can either wait for the light or make the best of what you have. If you travel then often going out of one's way for great light isn't always an option so much better to learn to get the best out of what you are given.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Most of my stuff is macro or close-up so I can use what's available or make my own. :)

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

If I have a composition or location in mind, I will always try to be there in good light. That doesn't necessarily mean at either end of the day. Great light can be had during the day, if the clouds assist!

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not for a while.....

[​IMG]

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Nope. You could wait forever (and I ain't getting up at 04:00 )

Catriona likes this.
  8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Depends upon what I'm doing. For abstracts I generally need certain lighting conditions, for holiday snaps I take the light as it comes.

Lynn

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Of course, I should have said "Define great light".

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Great light as a commodity is both pretty meaningless and usually totally unpredictable.
    Taking advantage of the time of day, early or late, guarantess nothing but the hight and direction of the sun.
    That is if it even makes an appearance.
    Great light is far more than that, and lives in a fickle world, where magic is king.

Mere mortals like myself have to take our chances, and make the most of the light we find,
    and be prepared to spend time waiting for that special moment to come.

However sometimes the view is right, but the direction and quality of the light all wrong.
    Then it becomes a case of another time or, often more likely, another day.
    I am sure we all have a number of such places on our waiting lists.

Photography would not exist with out light. It is the quality of that light and how it compliments the subject that is important.

daft_biker likes this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I should have qualified my reply. I don't take pictures in awful light. I will make the decision that it's not worth bothering. So it all hinges on the middle ground which I will embrace.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No.I use what is available. If the photograph is better than most (of mine) then the light was great.

As for dawn lighting, I now appreciate this best between November and February, and only if the weather is pleasant. Those requirements often conflict. I don't likegetting up early.

When I was younger I sometimes did multiday lone hikes in North Western Scotland, usually in spring, before the midges. One could appreciate the dawn light while one had pee; if it was satisfactory, (the light not the pee; that was always satisfactory in those days) then photography while the water for a brew boiled was obvious. The best bivvie locations and bothies inevitably are in photogenic locations.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Extraordinary light I guess. It's one photographer asking other photographers about things we should understand not legalese here.

Whenever I shoot my dogs outside I do what I can to give myself the best chance of getting light like I got in this shot to make the fur shine and the muscles stand out.

[​IMG]

If I don't have something approaching "great light" I'm unlikely to get shots I even bother to look at when I get home never mind save and keep close for years.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think a definition of "Great light" would be light that is right for the subject. It doesn't need to be bright sunshine or even a cloudless sky (quite boring actually). I have photographs taken under overcast skies in light drizzle but the light was right for the subject. Other times there is no choice, accept the light as it is or don't take the picture.

15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

For more or less six months of the year (with the exception of weekends) there are no daylight hours when I'm not in work. Light...I take whatever I can get and consider myself lucky if I can get my ISO down as far as 100.

Cheers, Jeff

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

FTFY. ;)

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not really, there is currently no technology that can fix camera shake or poor focus.