1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you get as much enjoyment from editing images...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

...as you do from taking them?

Take part and vote on this week's poll - Do you get as much enjoyment from editing images as you do from taking them?

[​IMG]

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The option "No, I'd much rather be taking them" doesn't go far enough.
    LR and PS stuff is a necessary bore. I particularly kick myself when I have to go beyond LR and into PS in order to correct a stupid error that I should have spotted when I took the original photograph such as last Monday pm when I cloned out a bit of background growing out of a local councillor's head. It only took less than 5 minutes but it still annoyed me that I had been so careless in the first place.

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Don't kick yourself.

I once took a shot of a local police officer giving school children road safety advice. He was leaning over to talk to a particularly small child and this placed his hips in a suggestive relationship to the pointing finger of a cardboard cut out beside him.

None of the other shots were nearly as good, I had twelve hours to press time and this was wayyyyy before digital. Cutting out and matching to another shot's background at three in the morning was an experience I shall neither forget nor repeat, even at gun point!

I can't say I enjoy editing but it's part of the deal, so I don't not enjoy it either.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I had to think long and hard about this Poll question.

It depends.

The principal reason that I produce photographs is to convey a message to, or engender an emotion in, the viewer. (I really don't understand the folk who maintain that "they take photographs for themselves" - to me that seems a bit like masturbation; there is no sharing or communication involved, and what is photography if not a communicative art? OK - some people might have a use for "record shots"; I don't.)

Sometimes the message or emotion I am trying to produce comes mainly from the image taken by the camera. At other times, the message may not become clear until I have added some creativity to it in processing. And all stages in-between.

So I guess that the enjoyment is greatest at the stage when I begin to feel that my picture is giving the message or producing the emotion that I am trying to get over - and that may vary quite markedly between the instant of pressing the shutter and the moment when I click the "Print" button.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy other stages in the overall process. If I look at the weather forecast some morning and decide that I want to drive 300 miles to capture an image that I have envisaged, then I may start enjoying the day as soon as I start the car (especially if the trip involves breakfast at the Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum). Unexpected things might happen during the process and I might enjoy them. Someone looking at one of my photographs might make an unsolicited comment and I might enjoy that, or the discussion that follows.

So I am really saying that I immensely enjoy everything connected to photography but that the point of greatest enjoyment may vary from image to image and may be in the camera work or may be in the processing.

Eric

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I don't enjoy doing either at the moment. Must get out at the weekend... If I get a weekend...

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, yes. I enjoy the digital post-exposure process in a similar way that I enjoy being in the darkroom and attempting to get the best out of a negative. It's all image-making in different guises. Sometimes the digital activity feels like a chore though. I'm working on something at the moment which in all honesty I'd rather ditch and go out and take more photographs!

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A big yes from me. When I'm shooting I have the final image in mind, so the processing is just as much a part of it as the initial shot. Lightroom doesn't get in the way at all, so it is an enjoyable process.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Chrissie, what do mean by 'editing images'? The word is often misused today to describe post-production (lightroom) work. That is not editing. It is manipulating the image. Just as it was in the days of film with special development, or burning & dodging or toning. A former AP Editor ;), Damien Demolder, made this mistake in a give-away booklet that he wrote for AP on Digital Photography.

Editing is looking through a series of pictures and perhaps excluding or disposing of some, choosing an order, looking for an arrangement - a presentation of a set of pictures to their optimum or the optimum for the message to be carried by them. Cheers, Oly.

9. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

10. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I wasn't going to bring that up...

:cool:

11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, Oly, but I would suggest that removing parts of an image and adding other components is, equally, an example of editing an image. (In exactly the same sense as you might "edit" a text document.)

Eric

God would not have invented pixels if he had not intended us to manipulate them.

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You can edit a selection of images in the way you describe, and you can edit a single image, by excluding, disposing, including, modifying elements of that image.

The word equally covers both processes.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Presumably because you didn't want to be wrong as well as Oly. ;)

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

This reflects an unfortunate loss of vocabulary in the digital age. Formerly we could talk about "editing" (selecting a film image) and "printing" (turning the neg into the final picture).

Perhaps we need a new word for the digital age, just as we now distinguish between "smoking" and "vaping". Bawing, derived from "buggering about with", immediately suggests itself but it may be a bit harsh.

I baw, thou bawest, he, she or it baws...

Cheers,

R.

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I love buggering about with, both before, during and after the shoot.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

No; editing images has never given me a rush but shooting them often does.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

One trouble with digital imaging and its editing is that it is done on an internet connected computer and there are too many distractions available. This website is one example.

18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Photographers have never been able to divorce themselves from the responsibility of any part of the photographic process.
    From the selection of the venu, the subject matter, the lighting, the processing, down to the final presentation, and everything between.

Some times one part is more fun than another, but which becomes more important or crucial is largely down to circumstances.

But all is part and parcel of the creation of the whole.

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Terry,

Define "photographer", preferably after skimming YouBook, FaceTube, F**cker, *umblr, etc.

Cheers,

R.

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Aw, come on guys - you are all older than I am! :D You must remember the technical term 'compositor' which has two meanings, one related to actual print production (the setting process) and the other to single image preparation which Eric & 8Bit refer to. I'm unfortunate to have almost run out of grandparents before I was born but me ol' Granddad (the graphic artist one) would have been 'tut tutting' at you guys while patting me on the head. "He he he. Dat's my boy! :)"

I'm also unfortunately old enough - just - to remember the term from a variety of sources, not least a Sometimes Learned Reading camera magazine that I shall not name. Although deficient in some aspects of their content, they were sometimes very educative about the wider world of photography. On the plus side of things, before I had the chance to work as a pro, I seem to have acquired by osmosis or reading or something, a bit about the workings of the other side of the trade than merely pushing buttons on a camera. Comping was something I was familiar with even back when I had a proper job! :eek: If that sort of stuff came my way, I find it hard to understand that you life-long photographers don't appear to know about that.

If you are struggling for a word to use that saves having to combine lots of syllables in 'post-production' and 'image manipulation', may I recommend borrowing a word from the days of film and just refer to work on a single image by a truly correct term and call it 'processing'? ;)

:D Have a good Sunday! Cheers, Oly