1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you feel comfortable taking street photographs?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

An aquaintance of mine, who was a vicar (he's now a bishop) once said to me that bad people put up barriers and good people take them down.

I reckon he's right...

[​IMG]

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

My old Sony R1. Lens at 38mm (equivalent to 57mm) ISO 160, f8 at 1/400th. Colour space is default sRGB on JPEG.

It's a big old beast but has a marvellous lens and a very nice 10MP sensor. I still use it from time to time...

[​IMG]

3. ZenTog

ZenTog Well-Known Member

My point is and has always been that the internet is the game-changer. That girl with the poop would have been a story only the folks immediately involved with would have known + whoever they told when they went home that night. It would not have been known outside of a few people, or remembered at all 11 years on. With the internet the photos of her are a permanent record.

Everyone points to XYZ famous photographer of the past - but you have no idea who any of the people are in those photos, and there is pretty much no way (outside of extensive and costly research) to have found out either then, or now. These days it is a matter of clicking on google and zip zap if the person has posted any kind of photo of themselves online you can find out who they are, where they live, where they work etc. etc. It is the internet that is forcing a change in how we view privacy and what we need to do to preserve it.

Ironically the thing you say is 'freedom' actually results in less freedom. The more incidents there are like that where people experience real life harm from stuff posted online the more legislation and control there will be. Although admittedly in my opinion this is not a bad thing. There will always be a need for external legislation when and where people are incapable of controlling themselves. I think the internet has more than shown that people are not capable of controlling themselves. Hey just read this thread. Clearly even when someone says - you are not taking photos of objects, but people - a simple 'yes we are aware of that' is an impossible response.

If it is searchable - someone will. If it is usable - someone will. If it is available - someone will take it. What is online is online forever - even when people avail themselves of the right to be forgotten.

I keep trying to put this in some kind of personal context that makes readers think 'oh sh-t yeah that might not be so nice if it happened to me' (its called empathy folks in case you were confused about that) but TRY to imagine a photo of you doing something illegal, or just plain stupid following you for the rest of your life - if every time someone googled your name that photo came up - prospective employers, friends, family, anyone and everyone and it never left you. In the past when you did something stupid it never had the potential (unless you got a criminal record out of it) to follow you ad infinitum. These days that has changed.

In the past if you took photos of people in the street - with all due respect but unless you were one of a handful of big names - the only people who saw that photo were your family and whichever other poor souls you managed to persuade to look at your albums. Now you put your photos online, on FB, on Twitter, Instagram, Flikr etc. etc. and they are there for the whole world to see. The game has changed but social ethics / norms let alone the law have yet to catch up.

If you want to take this one step bigger outside of photography - the internet is making it possible for anyone to search databases of births, deaths, marriages, addresses - in the UK you can search the voting register for free online. It is easier and easier to find all kinds of personal information out about people without leaving your chair. Would you be so happy if someone put your banking details or medical records online in a searchable database? There is a bigger picture here that relates to everyone's safety and right to control their information in a digital world where almost nothing is actually private any more.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  4. Sejanus.Aelianus

You took a picture in a public place without the signed permission of everyone in the street.

You will there for be ex-term-in-ated!

[​IMG]

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No, I don''t feel comfortable at the moment.
    My pocket camera is dying.
    My big, good, camera is heavy and hurts my shoulders and neck.

No, so not comfortable.

My street audience is disappointed...

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Interestingly I was out yesterday with my little Ensign folding camera, and I was actually stopped by three people asking if I would take their photo with it; two were tourists, and the other was a mother and her son on the subway. There was time to get her email address so assuming the shutter speed required for light purposes didn't mean no image because of subway shaking I will send her a copy once I've developed the film.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Given I made a post or two describing exactly how I am sensitive to other people's behaviour when taking street photographs, I can only conclude ZenTog doesn't want to believe it possible and so is ignoring my posts.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

First extract. Let's assume this is true. So: the world has changed. How do you propose to take it back to the pre-Internet era? Answer: you don't. This is one of the many straight questions you have ignored on this thread because you have no answers.

Second extract: No, we had things called newspapers and magazines. Lots of them. And books. Oh: and television. You didn't need to be a "big name".

Third extract: See response to first extract.

Cheers,

R.

9. Sejanus.Aelianus

It would be very wrong of me to repeat my original diagnosis, wouldn't it?

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So wait, are you suggesting that I post photographs of people doing illegal or stupid things? Once again, you're hugely generalising. We're not having a debate because your starting point is so far to the extreme there's no point.

Actually, I think there are now *so many* pictures of regular people on the Internet the chances of yours specifically being used by someone for nefarious purposes are probably as low as ever.

Why don't you respond to the bits in my posts where I explained how I take care to respect the wishes of people being photographed, and what kinds of things I won't take pictures of.

Oh, because it doesn't support your extreme view that every street photographer is a narcissistic creep.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

he must be a mountain type he would not fit under a bridge.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

You are not going to turn back history, This is the "START" of the communication age. People must learn that their antisocial or criminal actions will be tweeted and You-tubed indefinitely. The more interesting their stupidity, the faster will it spread. We are all photographed and videoed every step out side our doors.
    A few responsible street togs with a camera are nothing, compared to to the millions of smart phones in every street and public places, all with direct links to the internet.
    You can never unscramble that egg. They will always be there first.

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I once did a series taking pictures of my travelling companions on my regular bus route.
    Not one of them said no and it was a lot of fun.

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Terry,

Indeed, and unscrambling the egg is the perfect analogy.

To enlarge slightly on your excellent post, this present "communication age" is another aspect of the oft-touted "global village". In any village, people tend to have at least a rough idea of one another's characters. One person is generally regarded as something of a bully; another as habitually foolish; a third as generous, a fourth as kindly and so forth. Probably there's someone you wouldn't want your ten year old daughter to get too close to, and someone else you'd trust with everything you had. Some are happy, some habitually gloomy; some outgoing, and some reclusive; the list of traits is endless. Nor are they all mutually exclusive.

Something else you learn in a village, though, is that although many young people are afraid that everyone will know their business, one of the signs of growing up is beginning to realize that very few of them care very much unless it affects them directly.

Cheers,

R.

15. ZenithE

ZenithE Active Member

I like to photograph public events. This one was taken during a St. Patrick's Day parade in 2015.

[​IMG]

16. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

No probs.............................................................:)

17. ZenithE

ZenithE Active Member

I sometimes read articles concerning police action against photographers in public places and how such photographers are regarded as terrorists. It’s a very serious issue. However, I believe that we’re ignoring another serious threat to photography in public. It’s the threat of being regarded as a suspected paedophile.

I’ve travelled extensively with my cameras throughout the British Isles and nowhere have I been badly treated than on the Isle of Man. In July 2009, I went there for a holiday. Within a few hours of arrival, I went into the Villa Marina theatre complex in Douglas to photograph the monochromatic art deco architecture there. I was immediately pointed out by a child, who shouted almost hysterically, “Mum, don’t let that man take my photograph!” I found that the refurbished, art deco Villa Marina arcade was a delight to photograph and I stumbled on a recital of Manx music and dance. I take an active interest in the Manx language and culture and while I was photographing the performers, I was subjected to derogatory single and double digit insults from some members of the audience.

Later, I went to Peel to photograph some windswept, early evening views of the castle and beach there. I overheard two children nearby. One said to the other, “Watch out for that cameraman.” I was in a public place at the time. Some days later in the same place, I distinctly heard a child shout repeatedly, “That man’s got a camera!”

I know from recent years experience that the mere act of carrying a camera on the island is sometimes unwelcome. I’m a motorsport fan and in 2008, I attended the final day of the Rally Isle of Man. Walking past the edge of the service area to photograph the cars leaving for the final stage, with my DSLR in my hand, its lens cap on and pointed towards the ground, a girl of no more than ten years of age shouted, “You dirty brute!” at me. And no, don’t even think about reviewing digital images for possible deletion while on public transport. You’ll risk traumatising the poor little paranoid dears for life!

I suspect it’s something within the Manx education system that brainwashes children into believing that anyone with a camera in a public place is a suspected paedophile. Whoever devised these measures clearly has no photographic knowledge whatsoever. Such indoctrination makes no distinction by way of age or sex as I witnessed a female photographer taking snaps of yachts in rough seas at Peel bay. She was watched warily by a school teacher who had minutes earlier, along with two other teachers photographed her class and all in full view of a webcam permanently trained on the beach. I may accuse some of the Manx people of hypocrisy. I stepped of a bus at Port Erin only to be faced with two teenage girls with a cameraphone, taking photographs of the passengers. Any objection I had may have been legally groundless as I was in a public place.

Here’s how it works. Tourists photograph far-flung places as mementoes of their visits. Such imagery may be regarded as chocolate box or picture postcard. When it comes to club competitions or exhibitions, imagery of this nature wins nothing. So it’s all abstract, classic cars, architecture and candid portraits (not of children) for me .If the Manx so intent upon child protection at the risk of offending tourists then they may begin by switching off all the island webcams. Also, confiscate all camera equipment from any visitor arriving at Ronaldsway or Douglas and issue sets of souvenir postcards on departure.

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I reckon there are a few sleepy, far flung areas where retired Gangsters and other persons who want minimum attention naturally gravitate toward. I'm not saying the IOM is one of those places, but sometimes, just sometimes, there is a real primeval reaction to a camera that suggests the person throwing the wobbler really will be in trouble if they are found to be wherever they are.

Where I used to live we once had a note through the door that simply said "I know where you live". Turns out every other house had had one too as a prank, but we did not work this out before a family down the way moved out within a week. Turns out they had been on some forms of witness/vulnerable persons protection, and the prank had had a rather severe consequence.

19. Sejanus.Aelianus

You'd be referring to "Little East End on Sea", known otherwise as Torbay.

It has everything the lier low could wish for: a large and mostly honest population among whom to hide, nice beaches and a temperate climate.

Also, it's rumoured, there's no extradition treaty with the Metropolitan Police!

:D :D :D

[​IMG]