1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Do you feel comfortable taking street photographs?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Aug 19, 2015.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

That's not what I said. I don't expect you to accept that but I'm tired of you misquoting me, assuming you are, you never bothered to say *exactly* which post you're referring to.

I don't mind being photographed in public, but I do mind being intentionally misquoted.

2. ZenTog

ZenTog Well-Known Member

So if using a certain lens REDUCES the creepiness factor then the creepiness exists.

"They" also say using a long lens is somehow sneaky - would that be to avoid the 'creepiness'?

And I will reiterate - my life is not there for your amusement, it is not there to be photographed and placed online, potentially putting my safety and very carefully maintained anonymity to avoid identity theft or any number of other less than savoury things that can result from sharing information carelessly online at risk. It is not there for anyone to post onto a forum to be critiqued or have the wonderfully polite considerate and thoughtful comments made (please note the heavy use of extreme sarcasm with those adjectives). It is not there for a photographer to profit from by posting online to increase his/her street cred / reputation / image. It is MY life! And if I say 'NO' I mean 'NO' kind of like saying 'no' before sex - NO means NO and I expect that to be respected, and the photographer stop. If images have already been taken before I noticed, then I expect them to be deleted.

I do not regard the lengths I have seen stated - lying, running away, pretending to delete but not, or just plain arguing - as acceptable. You may have your rights but I also have mine!

Go and stalk and harass someone else - there are plenty of idiots who are blissfully ignorant to take photos of.

And if you think that there isn't something unhealthily perverted about grown men walking around with cameras spying on people, hiding the camera, lying, and going to any number of lengths to avoid being seen you are sadly mistaken. Law or no law. And the ones that practice the invasive, aggressive in-your-face type street photography - that's just plain frightening and harassment bordering on assault. Again law or no law.

Having a camera does not exempt you from decent behaviour.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

We're all coming to photograph you.

Mehahahaahahahahaahahahaha!

[​IMG]

4. EightBitTony

Read the two sentences underneath, that's my view. I don't believe any of my actions when I'm shooting street photographs are creepy, or sneaky.

Prove I've not acted in a decent way, and we can have a conversation.

I actually *know* how I behave, where-as you're just making it up.

5. ZenTog

ZenTog Well-Known Member

For all I know you might be the exception, maybe you are polite, and ask permission before posting online, maybe you stop when you see someone is uncomfortable, turns away from the camera, tries to hide their face or asks you stop. Maybe you do in fact delete photos of people when asked. I don't know. Doesn't quite explain your negative responses to my posts though, but hey maybe you just like being contrary. I don't know.

But I do know that I'm not making up the countless comments and opinions expressed by photographers. I'm not making up the countless posts on various sites / blogs talking about how to hide your camera, how to avoid being spotted (why all the lengths to hide if no-one ever objects?), what to say when people object (I've seen suggestions that range from smile, compliment, walk away, pretend you were taking photos of something behind them, to outright lie when confronted, to have black / OOF shots ready on your camera to delete, to stand on your 'rights', all the way through to running away to avoid confrontation (because no-one objects right?).

I'm not making the 'nice' post by the photographer on one forum (not this one) who posted a picture of a person who objected and ridiculed them for doing so.

How many discussions are there on what cameras are small enough to hide in your hand, how to shoot from the hip, what shutters are the most silent to avoid detection?

Please explain to me how all of these actions don't add up to an overall impression of seediness, sneakiness, shamefulness, underhandedness, and just plain creepiness?

Explain to me why I'm not supposed to draw the conclusion that street photographers are, for the most, disrespectful, unpleasant, selfish-centered, uncaring people? Not one person on this thread, or for that matter anywhere, even in discussions on the 'ethics' of street photography have EVER said anything about respecting a person who doesn't wish to be photographed. The closest any discussion has ever gotten was one photographer who discussed the ethics of profiting off photographs of homeless people. ONE! And boy you should read some of the responses he got. The general response is "let's think of ways to be even sneakier".

The fact that there clearly is some kind of ethical / moral / social barrier that has to be overcome as evidenced by all the posts / discussions on how to 'get over' the fear / reluctance to walk around photographing strangers in the street somehow does not at any point result in a discussion of any kind as to whether or not you should be doing it at all.

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

To quote the character Cordelia Chase from Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "God! What is your childhood trauma?!"

:confused: :confused: :confused:

7. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Utter waste of time posting here. Much better to write to the editor of this magazine, the very magazine that is encouraging this terrible scourge on humanity by spurring people to go out and do this type of hideous photography through running a competition (http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...5-Round-6-On-the-Street&p=1342001#post1342001), urging folk to go out on to the streets and steal people's identities photographically speaking - it's going to publish these photos in print and online for everyone to see on 26 September so best be quick. Even Sigma are in on it by giving the winners prizes for doing so.

Either that or see a therapist.

[​IMG]
    by Marty Greenwell, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Perhaps because internet trolls are?

Let me set this out - I strongly dislike having my photo taken, and I would be over the moon if street photography was banned tomorrow - but not for any of the reasons you have given, which are utterly barmy and scarily totalitarian, but because so much of it is utter dross and a complete waste of time and space, with people somehow believing that tagging the word "street" on their excruciatingly boring, appallingly-executed banal snaps somehow gives them the cachet of art. That's not to say that there aren't exceptions - AlanW, a longtime member here has produced some brilliant stuff, for example, and there are plenty of others - but so much of it is just completely without any redeeming feature whatsoever - those guys probably ARE "the most, disrespectful, unpleasant, selfish-centered, uncaring people" not because they take the photos, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but because they inflict the tedium that is the results on others.

9. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

You supposed to draw any conlusion you wish, even - I expect you are smart enough to draw EXACTLY conlusion you wish, year before you start any "disscussion". But why should we care about this? We have not any moral, ethical, practical, theoretical or "by law" obligation to care about you conlusions. They are yours.

To convince me somebody's opinion is valid in broader context than "it is my conclusion and all-true and valid for you, because is mine", somebody needs to talk and disscuss (maybe even on the street, when I photo) - throwing piles of links straight from google, cherrypicking arguments, avoid answers for simple questions, selective quoting - it is kindergarten of eristics and/or trolling (or very rare - problems with paranoid personality), not disscuss, especially about social issues. It is sometime entertaining, but often waste of time. As here, on couple of pages. So - sayonara, and sorry to owners for waste bytes on such nice forum.

[​IMG]

10. Sejanus.Aelianus

Guilty m'lud.

May I ask for 47,263 other offences be taken into consideration?

:D

[​IMG]

11. EightBitTony

Just for you.

[​IMG]Setting up the Shot

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I think we've all come to the same conclusion.

Cheers,

R.

13. DaveStevens

DaveStevens New Member

Big Fat Yes as I have no qualms.....

I dont sit in a public place with my big lumbering DSLR & a 500mm lens snapping away tho as it does look odd. A nice small CSC or suchlike does the job brill or even an IPhone, which no one takes any notice of.

I am however quite concerned with some replyees irrational fear of "what might happen" if images are posted "online" or used in some other "way". I think its bizarre to assume all sorts of wrath and retribution will fall on your head if something happens because of your actions. Its nonsensical.....

14. chrisj241

chrisj241 Well-Known Member

I have to say that no I don't feel comfortable with street photography. Taking shots of architecture, tourist attractions etc. where it is nearly impossible to avoid people being in the shot doesn't worry me. It's taking pics of specific people that bothers me. People putting on a show (like the Morris men that someone previously posted pics of) I'm fine with, because I feel they are expecting people to be taking pics. It's shooting random people on the street that I worry about. I suppose it's an extension of how men have become demonised by society. I feel like any man taking pics of children (or heaven forbid talking to them) could be viewed as a potential paedo. Or taking pics of ladies, a letch or perv. I really don't like confrontation, so fear putting myself in a position where someone would give me grief.

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Chris,

This is, I think, the point that ZenTog has consistently and deliberately missed. When a particular form of behaviour is (as you say) demonized, it's easy to feel intimidated. The answer, surely, is to fight back against the demonizers, the gutter press, the mentally ill. They are outnumbered to an enormous extent, possibly 100-1. But they make a very great deal amount of noise, way out of proportion to their numbers.

Despite their tiny numbers they must be opposed, or those outside the debate (sane photographers and above all the general public) may believe the extremists, so that the crazy opponents of a free society are receiving far more attention and credence than they deserve.

Cheers,

R.

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I would like to know what the difference is between 'street pbotography' and 'candids'.

Are they related? Are they the same thing and actually go hand-in-hand? Taking two of Bressons more famous examples, the behind the train station one and the flight of stairs with cyclist, neither of these examples contain people you would actually be able to recognise if you saw them in the street, even in the same setting. I equate these with street photography, the people are part and parcel of their street setting, but they could be anyone, they just happened to be in the right place at the right time for the shutter to trip and sometimes their presence was anticipated and waited for for hours by said photographer and it really did not matter who was in it or what they were doing. The stairs and cyclist could just as easily have been stairs and mother-with-pram.

Candids to my mind, however, tend to display recognisable features of someone and make the person the subject of the picture by their appearance or action: why was this person singled out for your attention? Because they were displaying something different to everyone else? That is not Street Photography to me. You just happened to be in the street and they just happened to be doing something interesting when you got the photo. It could have been a restaurant, it could have been the library or other place, if you followed this one right person around long enough... I think a candid does not contain enough 'street' to make it street photography, it centres on the person as the subject rather than the person in their environment... Maybe 'candid portrait', 'unaware portrait' or 'openair portrait' would be a better definition?

I would really like to know this, as I have never been comfortable with my definition of the 'candid' side of street photography...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

From my point of view, 'candid' just means unposed. So really it would apply in both scenarios that you put forward there.

18. Roger Hicks

How would you categorize HC-B's "rue Mouffetard", the boy with the wine bottles? For those who don't know the picture, see http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...sson-rue-mouffetard-1954-5600230-details.aspx

Perhaps more to the point, do we NEED to categorize things this way?

Cheers,

R.

19. Sejanus.Aelianus

Agreed.

Then again, for me the term "street photography" means photographing streets...

[​IMG]

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't think so but the number of heated discussions I've witnessed over the years among photographers as to what constitutes 'real' or 'proper' street, still life, documentary whatever photography suggests that there are people who don't feel happy unless they can put things in boxes. I don't actually consider myself to be 'a street photographer'. It's true that I very much enjoy looking for pictures to make while I'm out and about in the streets but they probably more often fall into the category of 'found still life' or 'tableau'. But that's why I don't categorise myself. It feels a bit limiting to do that.